Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 12:53 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well those are warnings, doesn't mean it actually happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 12:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Well those are warnings, doesn't mean it actually happens.
This is the first Halloween that marijuana has been legal here in CO.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:15 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Quote:
Yes. And the news stations would do anything to convince people that the sky is falling...but I'm not seeing it. And I just don't think this is something to worry about. I also think that the only Coloradans that are worried about it are the pearl clutchers who worry about all kinds of things. I've been asking around the office. I asked my pool team. I've asked other parents I know. Can't find a single person who is worried about this.

The most common response is, "Aren't those really expensive?"

Of course I haven't called FoTF to ask them what their opinion is, either...

Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Ok, as someone who lives in Colorado, I have a few comments on this:

1) Edibles are pricey. Nobody in their right mind is going to start giving out gumdrops that cost a dollar a piece.

2) Who the heck doesn't inspect their child's candy haul? I wasn't allowed to eat any candy before my parents got a chance to sort through it. Back then, it was fear of razor blades, but whatever.

3) Who the heck lets their kid eat unwrapped candy they got from strangers? Unwrapped candy wasn't allowed by any of the parents I knew growing up. And if it's wrapped, it's clearly marked as something that contains marijuana.

These "fears" are overblown panic-mongering.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I saw this on Yahoo and think it is pretty sick giving out candy that is going ot make some unsuspecting kid high is criminal. Who would do this besides some sicko that is going to get a cheap kick out of it. This world is getting sadder and sadder when kids not only need to worry about getting abducted, molested, bullyed, beat up, ebola, etc.. etc... now they have to worry about some loser slipping them a spiked candy. Pretty sad. If someone is caught doing this they should get a good beating.
It's not 'getting', has been for at least the past 50 years or so, I remember Halloween stories in the late '50s about everything from razor blades in apples to candy laced with Mommy's Valium. This type of sadistic behavior, like many things that attract the sensation seeking media, isn't remotely close to being anything new.

But I agree that anyone caught doing this really needs a good whuppin'!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Yes....and I still don't understand the fear. Do you think some maniacal being will put those gummies or whatever into ziploc baggies & distribute as candy? I mean, I suppose the kid could start eating those unmarked candies while they're trick or treating but usually kids go with an adult & as an adult, would you say "Oh hey, open candies in a ziploc baggie, totally legit!" I don't think so. Kinda like handing out open diet cokes filled with rum. "Here ya go kiddies, bottoms up buttercup!" No.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes....and I still don't understand the fear. Do you think some maniacal being will put those gummies or whatever into ziploc baggies & distribute as candy? I mean, I suppose the kid could start eating those unmarked candies while they're trick or treating but usually kids go with an adult & as an adult, would you say "Oh hey, open candies in a ziploc baggie, totally legit!" I don't think so. Kinda like handing out open diet cokes filled with rum. "Here ya go kiddies, bottoms up buttercup!" No.
Do I think this is going to be a big problem? No. I was responding to someone who said they hadn't seen anything in the mainstream media. Now do I think there's absolutely, positively no way someone will do this? No. Just when I think I've seen everything, I see something crazier.

And no, not all parents check their kids' candy, despite all the warnings.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:12 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,680 times
Default The falacy of fear mongers and prohibitionists

Quote:
Here once again is the idea that marijuana arrived in CO, and was a "danger" only once it was legal for recreational use. Implying that the years it was illegal made Halloween safe. Because as we all know, bad people would only decide to do something this despicable once it was legal to possess, right?

What about the years it was available for medical use? Someone COULD have threatened THE CHILDREN (OH MY GOD!!!!) with it then.

Or how about when it was totally illegal? Don't you think that someone who is willing to break the law when it was illegal might have been a greater threat to THE CHILDREN!!!! then?

Why is it only when it becomes legal (at least according to low information non thinkers, some politicians, and law enforcement) this is the first year that this COULD have been an issue?

Might it be because fear works? And ANY THREAT, real or imagined, that COULD strike THE CHILDREN!!!! is the type of fear mongering and misinformation that prohibitionists having been using for DECADES.

Last edited by Beaconowner; 10-21-2014 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: missing word

Old 10-21-2014, 02:13 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Quote:
Do I think this is going to be a big problem? No. I was responding to someone who said they hadn't seen anything in the mainstream media. Now do I think there's absolutely, positively no way someone will do this? No. Just when I think I've seen everything, I see something crazier.

And no, not all parents check their kids' candy, despite all the warnings.
I'm sorry, that's not what I meant. I was making a snarky comment. As in, Cigarettes: Not Even Once! or Drugs: Not even once! but instead, treating mainstream media as though it were a dangerous habit. Because it makes people paranoid.

My apologies for not being clear on that. I was just foolin' around.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Here once again is the idea that marijuana arrived in CO, and was a "danger" only once it was legal for recreational use. Implying that the years it was illegal made Halloween safe. Because as we all know, bad people would only decide to do something this despicable once it was legal to possess, right?

What about the years it was available for medical use? Someone COULD have threatened THE CHILDREN (OH MY GOD!!!!) with it then.

Or how about when it was totally illegal? Don't you think that someone who is willing to break the law when it was illegal might have been a greater threat to THE CHILDREN!!!! then?

Why is it only when it becomes legal (at least according to low information non thinkers, some politicians, and law enforcement) this is the first year that this COULD have been an issue?

Might it be because fear works? And ANY THREAT, real or imagined, that COULD strike THE CHILDREN!!!! is the type fear mongering and misinformation that prohibitionists having been using for DECADES.
It's certainly easier to get these days. Even in the days when it was only "medical marijuana" it was pretty easy to get a card and find a dispensary. Before that, I would have had to ask my kids where to get it!

Riding into town on a high horse isn't real helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events