Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 11:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
You do understand that the dynamic between women catcalling men and men catcalling women can be very different? A bunch of men catcalling, slowing down their car as they drive by, possibly following a lone woman in their car (or on foot), can be seen as a possible risk and threat. (A woman can't read the guys' minds, she can't know what they have planned.) Don't tell me that men have the equivalent fears for their physical safety when they are catcalled by women.
Yes, but you do realize there is a difference between catcalling and borderline stalking, right? If someone starts following around someone or intimidating them that is very different than just saying "Hey sexy!".

Old 10-28-2014, 12:50 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Yes, but you do realize there is a difference between catcalling and borderline stalking, right? If someone starts following around someone or intimidating them that is very different than just saying "Hey sexy!".
True. But a "hey sexy" can lead to being followed, or worse, so it makes women nervous when she hears it. At least she'll be a bit nervous until she's out of earshot.

And while merely having "Hey sexy" yelled at you may not result in feeling threatened (ultimately) it doesn't mean it's welcome. It doesn't mean that the woman likes it or is flattered. Maybe you didn't mind, maybe some other women don't mind, but a woman is within her rights to not like it and consider it rude, an intrusion, obnoxious. Especially when it goes beyond "Hey sexy" into something more explicit. A lot of girls start getting this at age 12-13 and it's usually not welcome and not okay.

I'm not equating a guy who says rude, explicit things to a young teenage girl with a rapist, but it's not right and "too many" (not all, not a majority) but "too many" boys and men do it. Even a small percentage of men doing it would be "too many," and since most women can report it happening to them, more times than they'd like, it's definitely too many.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:54 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,682 times
Quote:
True. But a "hey sexy" can lead to being followed, or worse, so it makes women nervous when she hears it. At least she'll be a bit nervous until she's out of earshot.

And while merely having "Hey sexy" yelled at you may not result in feeling threatened (ultimately) it doesn't mean it's welcome. It doesn't mean that the woman likes it or is flattered. Maybe you didn't mind, maybe some other women don't mind, but a woman is within her rights to not like it and consider it rude, an intrusion, obnoxious. Especially when it goes beyond "Hey sexy" into something more explicit. A lot of girls start getting this at age 12-13 and it's usually not welcome and not okay.

I'm not equating a guy who says rude, explicit things to a young teenage girl with a rapist, but it's not right and "too many" (not all, not a majority) but "too many" boys and men do it. Even a small percentage of men doing it would be "too many," and since most women can report it happening to them, more times than they'd like, it's definitely too many.
Don't expect men to comprehend, their own daughters could be raped and/or sexually harassed and most men wouldn't give a damn.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Don't expect men to comprehend, their own daughters could be raped and/or sexually harassed and most men wouldn't give a damn.
I can't believe you're serious. "Too many" men may not get it, but many others will. That video I linked to earlier has a longer version. The shorter version of the video shows a nice older man come to the rescue of a vulnerable woman who appeared to be in the clutches of a would-be rapist. The longer version (which I think can be found on YouTube) also shows that some other guys were chortling about the young woman being victimized. "Too many" guys would chortle, but plenty of others would intervene and do the right thing, as the older gentleman did.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I can't believe you're serious. "Too many" men may not get it, but many others will. That video I linked to earlier has a longer version. The shorter version of the video shows a nice older man come to the rescue of a vulnerable woman who appeared to be in the clutches of a would-be rapist. The longer version (which I think can be found on YouTube) also shows that some other guys were chortling about the young woman being victimized. "Too many" guys would chortle, but plenty of others would intervene and do the right thing, as the older gentleman did.
Sure some men might. But again, as I said in my previous example, if you were to give every American man, and American, not Saudi Arabian/Middle Eastern man a device with which they could press one button and make ANY woman they want their personal sex slave I have little doubt that AT LEAST 90% of American men would press it with little reservation, perhaps in ME countries it may be a bit higher like 95% but that's it. Of course men will chime in with the usual "but....but.....most men aren't like that" yeah...just wait till you get the chance. Heck, I believe lots of men don't initially set out thinking "I want to rape a woman today!" but given the opportunity their barbaric instincts take over and they do it anyway. millennia after millennia and barbarism after barbarism attests to that.

Again, look at rape statistics and tell me I am wrong.

Last edited by PeaceAndLove42; 10-28-2014 at 01:37 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Sure some men might. But again, as I said in my previous example, if you were to give every American man, and American, not Saudi Arabian/Middle Eastern man a device with which they could press one button and make ANY woman they want their personal sex slave I have little doubt that AT LEAST 90% of American men would press it with little reservation, perhaps in ME countries it may be a bit higher like 95% but that's it. Of course men will chime in with the usual "but....but.....most men aren't like that" yeah...just wait till you get the chance. Heck, I believe lots of men don't initially set out thinking "I want to rape a woman today!" but given the opportunity their barbaric instincts take over and they do it anyway. millennia after millennia and barbarism after barbarism attests to that.

Again, look at rape statistics and tell me I am wrong.
The numbers are disturbing, and way too many men are doing this, but I don't believe 90% of men would force a woman to be a sex slave if they could.

I don't doubt that a high percentage would, if they could press a magic button, like to conjure up a willing sex partner, but not a "slave" who would not be doing it happily. Frankly, most of us, if we could press a magic button, would like a willing partner to materialize—for sex, or maybe for helping do housework or covering for us at our jobs!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:37 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
And now they know where she works.
I wasn't at ALL trying to say to give them someone's number where SHE works...
Just give them a number that's not self identifying and not hers.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Knock it off. Your posts are beyond absurd, they're bordering on psychotic. You may have had some bad experience with men but most of us are able to deal with men on a normal level. Quite frankly, you seem extremely unbalanced.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
Quote:
Name: PeaceAndLove

Old 10-28-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Here is a great video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBulb1veTzs

A man dresses up as a woman to see first hand sexual harassment. I wish it were a requirement for every man to go through this because obviously all the countless stories of women being sexually harassed isn't enough to get through their primitive simian male brains. Even then I doubt it would change most mens minds. And while it may be Egypt things aren't much better in small town USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events