Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:23 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,932 times

Advertisements

Same old - this is now a well established (but terrible) American tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 04:26 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This is true. Also "social media" is always mentioned in these instances. What they ranted about on twitter, facebook, etc. Maybe social media is not such a great influence on these people. Perhaps being allowed to rant and rave excessively and uncontrollably is not a good thing. It's just an opinion, but when people are allowed to 'virtually' scream, swear, rant, yell racial epithets--basically say whatever they want online, maybe it affects their not having any impulse control in real life. People are allowed to be so uncivil on social media that it is probably affecting civility in society in general.
Interesting point. Thought provoking.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:31 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,444,547 times
We should have life courses in our our elementary, middle, and high schools. Teach these kids about life outside of themselves and their teenage experiences. Also, every teacher who sign up to teach in elementary-high school, must be prepared to essentially raise these kids as well. Take special interest in how they treat each other in the classroom and outside the classroom. Finally, more responsibility need to be thrust on these kids. My point is to take the focus off of their small world. That way if a kid is rejected by someone or is unfortunately bullied, they won't take it as if their whole world is collapsing. I'm sure most of us had some kind of bad experience in high school. Yet here we are, living our grown lives. Can you imagine us killing ourselves due to one bad experience in our teenage years, and missing out on our grown lives right now? This is why we need to teach these kids the world is much bigger than high school.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 PM

542 posts, read 691,675 times
I wonder if the reports that he apparently targeted his friends is true. I can't imagine what would lead someone to do that. We can't just blame everything on bloodthirsty sociopaths, though. Teens can have a really rough time in high school - so much social and academic pressure. I remember from that age - things that I recognize now as being quite small seemed so huge to me then. All those little things can add up, and someone who doesn't have the resources (mental, emotional, familial) to handle it can snap. We need better support, more vigilance, ways of detection, for kids who are having a tough time. Teens' brains literally don't finish developing until the early 20s, I think I read somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This is true. Also "social media" is always mentioned in these instances. What they ranted about on twitter, facebook, etc. Maybe social media is not such a great influence on these people. Perhaps being allowed to rant and rave excessively and uncontrollably is not a good thing. It's just an opinion, but when people are allowed to 'virtually' scream, swear, rant, yell racial epithets--basically say whatever they want online, maybe it affects their not having any impulse control in real life. People are allowed to be so uncivil on social media that it is probably affecting civility in society in general.
I can see it - world peace being brought about by closing every online forum and comments section ...

Old 10-24-2014, 04:58 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Kids today! When I was younger if a kid was heartbroken or depressed, that person just killed him- or herself. Now they have to take others out with them. It's one part Columbine, one part anti-depressants or ADD meds, one part revenge or wish for notoriety (they'll be sorry now...), one part social media and the culture of sharing every little thing with a mass audience. The media has got to stop talking about each shooting incessantly and going over all the minutia of the killers' lives. It just makes the next killer think this is the way to make a statement.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:00 PM

170 posts, read 133,798 times
This is normal in American society. Isn't this the 74th shooting since Sandy Hook? Way to go NRA!

Old 10-24-2014, 05:00 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
Last summer's shooting of a Seattle high school student in nearby Lake Stevens was also committed by a Marysville resident. Time to test the water up there.

Murder charge in Lake Stevens drive-by shooting of Molly Conley | www.kirotv.com

Old 10-24-2014, 05:04 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,856,260 times
Last year my DW and I took my son to a Halloween show at our old Jr. high school, half way thru the show she went to use the rest room, she returned in tears with the memory of the torment she suffered 24 yearsearlier.
Some memories stays with you.
I guess it's easy for those who were not bullied to just blow it off as simple teenage angst.

Bill

Old 10-24-2014, 05:22 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Sociopaths are an entirely different group. However, many of them had parents seek help until a trained professional determined the person was a Sociopath. I'm not taking on Sociopaths/Anti-Social Personal Disorders here.....as the news I've seen so far indicates nothing about an anti-social teen perpetrating these crimes.
The Santa Barbara shooter was a psychopath (forgot his name, thankfully). Eric Harris (Columbine) was a psychopath, Dylan Klebold had clinical depression (which his parents claimed they knew nothing about). Jared Loughner (Tucson, AZ/Gabrielle Giffords) was probably schizophrenic. There appear to be many pathways to becoming a mass shooter, sadly.

Quote:
Since you mentioned genetics, Sociopaths - AKA Anti Social Personality Disorder, what is your source for that?
There's a genetic component to anti social personality disorder but there also needs to be environmental triggers.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:28 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post
This is normal in American society. Isn't this the 74th shooting since Sandy Hook? Way to go NRA!
Yes, it is normal, just a regular trade off for living in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events