Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:06 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
The racial insentivity to something like this is appalling to say the least.

I've said it many times before...in order for white people to really "get it"...I think we as blacks should begin making racially insensitive gestures about them.

I'd propose that black men begin dressing in "white face" Adolf Hitler and with our female counterparts as a "dead Jew"...I wonder how well that would go over?

Or perhaps we can imitate the downtrodden Italian, and Irish immigrants (in white face of course) wearing drags and bandanas wrapped around their heads while reeking of feces and urine while imitating vulgar Italian and Irish dialects?

Or perhaps we should begin dressing as cavemen and cave women (in white face of course)?

And last but not least (and maybe even my favorite)....perhaps we should dress as the parents of Jonbeney Ramsey...(in white face of course)...and our children as the carcus of a dead white child Jonbeney Ramsey herself?
Or what about an OJ costume with a Nicole Brown rag doll with the neck almost severed? How well would Whites take to seeing that as a Halloween costume/skit worn by Black men? Or what about the Black man that broke into the home in NJ and pummeled with his fists, literally beat up the White woman who lived there, it could be represented by Blacks dressing up like the guy who did it and having a White female doll with a severely beaten and pummeled face that he continues to punch like a punching bag to get a laugh? Is that "insensitive" or "offensive"? To the Whites on this thread, why aren't these type of costumes considered to be all in good fun? Why do we not see Whites dressed up to duplicate that for your own amusement? Or is your idea of fun or your idea of being racially "insensitive" is only when the joke, insult, or disgrace is against a Black person? Please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 10:35 AM

779 posts, read 632,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Actually us whites would get a good laugh out of it and go on about our day.
It's not us who sees everything in racial overtones.

I have to disagree on this one. The way that simple conversations turn to race on comment threads all of the time is proof. Plenty of white folks bringing up race first. It must be on their mind a bit or that wouldn't happen.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:56 PM

240 posts, read 422,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Bro, that only flies when your life is genuinely in dangerous.

Ray Rice is a 220 pound NFL running back, who probably put up at least 20 reps at 225 at the NFL Combine when he went pro years ago. I'm fairly certain he can defend himself from an unarmed woman smaller than him with the fraction of his strength and defuse the situation without rendering her unconscious.

But that's just me.

No, it's not just you.

The fact that people believe that the little swat she gave him justified him knocking her unconscious is very disturbing.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:04 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
I have to disagree on this one. The way that simple conversations turn to race on comment threads all of the time is proof. Plenty of white folks bringing up race first. It must be on their mind a bit or that wouldn't happen.
Yeah, I'd have to agree on that. It would be interesting to understand why.

We are a more divided people than I've ever seen the last few years. Divided about race, divided about politics. Suspicious that anyone on the other side of the divide has nefarious intentions.

It seemed to get really bad about the time the recession hit. Maybe we all went into survival mode. The politicians and media also really like to divide us. Both because there's a profit to be made in doing so.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 AM

779 posts, read 632,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yeah, I'd have to agree on that. It would be interesting to understand why.

We are a more divided people than I've ever seen the last few years. Divided about race, divided about politics. Suspicious that anyone on the other side of the divide has nefarious intentions.

It seemed to get really bad about the time the recession hit. Maybe we all went into survival mode. The politicians and media also really like to divide us. Both because there's a profit to be made in doing so.

It's been like that on message boards for at least the last 16 or so years.

I think that people felt the way that they felt but that some had to confront their own feelings and realized that they weren't as race neutral as they thought they were. The internet has also grown during that time and we have access to the thoughts and feelings of others. It feels less like the divide has grown than that we are aware of the divide.

I think that politicians and the media tend to make us double down on our beliefs not adopt new ones. Can you all really say that you've been swayed by the media or that you find yourself agreeing with the more opinion based shows on some stations more than others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events