Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:01 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,691,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I suppose because his argument is a little irrational. Okay, a lot irrational , the assumption is that he is just trying to stir the pot and get people riled up. I don't think he's trolling.
I think he/she may just be reacting to the extremes the government can go to....as in the example given of someone picking up a pine cone and bringing it home....really and truly, a person could get in all kinds of trouble for something like that, with valuable law enforcement resources being taken up in the process. And I think pimbolo may find that ridiculous. Just my guess.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:04 AM

21,617 posts, read 24,753,085 times
Hopefully prosecutors need to realize they need to toughen up. The two boyscoot rock tippers were given slaps on the wrist. If they start making examples and pushing for the maximum (5 years), that will send a message. It's probably concurrent sentencing, but 10 counts or more of felony vandalism with 5 years served sounds appropriate. 50 years would sound a bit excessive, but still better than a slap on the wrist.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:09 AM

14,799 posts, read 11,943,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
Lock her up and throw away the key! And I agree, the artwork is badly done. Amateurish.
There are signs all over those National Parks telling people not to even pick up loose rocks, or plants in those areas. The utter chutzpah of this woman to deface such beauty. Yeah, I hope she gets what's coming to her too.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,387,847 times
Yes, it would be silly for someone to be prosecuted for picking up a pine cone.

I guess the real concern is that someone would take rare plants seeds or something (knowingly or not), so the rule is to not remove anything.

I saw a guy trying to remove a gopher tortoise (he was most likely going to eat it). I just told him to put it back as I was calling the cops.

I've seen many large collapsed tortoise burrows in the area, so I assume the "hunters" were probably successful now and again.

I called "troll" because I wasn't sure of the poster was just being pesky or trying to make a logical argument ;(

Old 10-29-2014, 11:16 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,779,484 times
I think perhaps what we need is places in the middle of nowhere where people can do this kind of thing, and only there. "Burning Man National Monument"???

Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,483,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Hopefully prosecutors need to realize they need to toughen up. The two boyscoot rock tippers were given slaps on the wrist. If they start making examples and pushing for the maximum (5 years), that will send a message. It's probably concurrent sentencing, but 10 counts or more of felony vandalism with 5 years served sounds appropriate. 50 years would sound a bit excessive, but still better than a slap on the wrist.
Oh those guys boiled my blood. If they would've been standing in front of me, BAM!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:38 AM

672 posts, read 784,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Can we please stop with the nonsense about the 'quality' of the art? Aside from the silly idea that the 'quality' of art is dependent on the subjective tastes of you, or anyone else, the implication that the degree to which this act is wrong is contingent on how 'bad' is the art is absurd. No matter how much you, I, or anyone else might have found this art pleasing, it would not in the slightest mitigate the damage done by this woman.
I wasn't making that connection, although your point is valid. I don't care if she is on a par with Rembrandt or Michaelangelo with regards to skill level. It doesn't matter if it was "The Last Supper". It doesn't belong.

She was trying to validate herself and the work because she is "an artist", I was refuting her assertion as such on the basis that if I could draw the same things that she did, and I can, then she is not an artist. In other words, I was judging her talent level alone.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:43 AM

983 posts, read 987,659 times
It always boggles my mind how some people (like Miss Rock Painter) seem to think that because they pay taxes, the National Parks are "theirs" and they can do whatever they want. Seriously, someone went to one of the National Parks around here and demaned their gate fee back because they weather messed up their trip!

The mission of the National Park Service is to preserve natural, cultural, and historic resources, so other generations after us can enjoy them. Those resources include pinecones, rocks, Native American drawings, animals ect. They are the resources we are trying to protect, and yes, they have more rights than we do.

Native American drawings and pottery represent a whole culture. Civil War battlefields are considered sacred to some. History, culture, and nature are the unique resources the National Park Service preserves for future generations.

I think Miss Rock Artist should be sentenced to a year of volunteer service in the National Parks. One month in a different park, rotate her around the parks and have her work with the rangers. Let her see Native American cultures lost except for historic preservation. Let her go to Antietam, site of the bloodiest battle of the Civil War.

I bet she changes her tune and finds more acceptable ways to express her art.

Last edited by IheartWA; 10-29-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 11:48 AM

294 posts, read 240,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Pimbolo, regarding ancient cave paintings, did it not occur to you that those were the equivalent of us hanging paintings in our houses or, perhaps, houses of worship? In other words, they were being done on property that did, in essence, belong to the artist, much like you making a painting and hanging it on your wall, or for that matter choosing the color to paint your wall.

National Parks are not your own personal property; they are shared property, much like, say, a courthouse is (would you defend this woman for painting graffiti on a courthouse because as a taxpayer (assuming she pays taxes) she owned a miniscule part of it. And you don't get to do whatever you want to do wherever you want to do it, even if you do dub yourself an "artist", which I suspect is the real crux of where your disagreement lies.
Oh, so all she has to do is camp there for a night and she can paint on the rock?

See, everyone keeps straining to make some argument that the rock isn't my property. The fact is, the rock isn't anyone's actual property. I find it really funny that everyone here is like "actually, yes, that pine cone DOES belong to the government and you CAN get in legal trouble for taking it" (as I saw one person wrote, as I skimmed the thread).

Meanwhile, everyone is also killing themselves trying to justify why a caveman "defacing" nature is awesome and marvelous while someone today "defacing" nature is terrible and awful. Seriously, that's totally funny.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:49 AM

294 posts, read 240,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
Let her see Native American cultures lost except for historic preservation.
Neat! Maybe she should litter, like the Native Americans did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events