Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:49 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,682 times

Advertisements

“Art” in the Parks | Modern Hiker

Quote:
This morning, our friend Rebecca at Calipidder alerted us via a Facebook post to a woman named Casey Nocket who had traveled to the west coast from New York for a few weeks. Ms. Nocket had been enjoying her time in the outdoors so much that she decided to document her trip on Instagram. And apparently Nocket was so moved by all the natural beauty she saw that she just had to paint all over it.
Okay, as a nature lover this REALLY ****** me right off! Look at some of her "art work" (which looks like kindergarten doodles)

Crater Lake National Park:

Yosemite National Park:

Death Valley’s Telescope Peak:

Zion National Park:

Canyonlands National Park:

I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact she's essentially graffitying (is that even a word?) national parks or the fact her "art work" would be something a kindergartner would view as garbage!

I hope she gets some SERIOUS prison time!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:14 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,617 times
Lock her up and throw away the key! And I agree, the artwork is badly done. Amateurish.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:29 AM

In contrast, here is some 40,000 (!) year old art work that's a billion times better!

She didn't seriously think she could get away with this did she? OMG!!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:33 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Last time I was in Sedona, I cleaned up a mess that some people ( presumably teens, because they do stupid **** all the time) I had some hand sanitizer that I used to clean up the graffiti, and then I rebuilt the cairn that they had knocked down.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:26 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
The work looks like chalk pastels which will wash away. But might be oil pastels (looks like she's holding an oil crayon) which ain't cool.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:29 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Who would even think of doing this??? Jeez.

here's your 15 minutes of fame, sweety.

Now get lost.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:54 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Fortunately, it appears she only colored the rocks somehow. The paint can be removed.

Sadly, this sort of thing is all too common. Often enough, rocks are permanently engraved. Or the writing is done over prehistoric pictographs. Or some idiot decides to drive all over something - like one of the ancient intaglios near Blythe, in the California desert. These are large figures of people carved into the desert stone-pavement that are best viewed from the air, being over 100 feet long. And if you see them, you also get to see the deep tracks of someone who thought it would be fun to race his truck all over them decades ago.

Then there's the Boy Scout troop from Utah last year, who's leader decided to topple a top-heavy rock formation so it didn't fall over and injure someone - in Goblin Valley State Park, which was created specifically to preserve those formations. They filmed the toppling, whooping it up about how fun it was. Yep, the moron posted that on social media, too.

Back to this case, this woman faces some stiff fines.

Even better, the story is being widely publicized, which is a good thing.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:02 AM

It is Acrylic paint FYI.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:08 AM

672 posts, read 788,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
The work looks like chalk pastels which will wash away. But might be oil pastels (looks like she's holding an oil crayon) which ain't cool.
Most of that vandalism was done with acrylic paint.

From what I read somewhere, but can't find now, she is very sorry... Yeah, she is sorry that the feds are considering felony charges. However, earlier, before she deleted her tumblr account, she was defending herself as an artist:

Feds chase criminal case against artist who marred rocks in parks - The Denver Post

Quote:
The Internet rage grew with Nocket's apparent lack of remorse.
A painting she posted on her Instagram account of a blue-haired lady on a rock overlooking Oregon's Crater Lake prodded one of her followers to ask if she was using paint or chalk. Nocket responded that it was acrylic: "I know, I'm a bad person."
In response to angry posts on her Tumblr site early Thursday, she defended the paintings, saying, "It's art, not vandalism. I am an artist."
Nocket's Instagram account was deleted as of Thursday, but sites like modernhiker.com, which broke the story of the vandalism, were able to post all her Instagram photos, including one of her mid-sketch in Canyonlands.
Nocket's hubris — posting her crimes online — has enabled investigators as they build a case. And it's not the first time a Web search has uncovered vandalism of public lands.
Oh, honey, if my drawings are as good as yours are, you are NOT an artist.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:45 AM

294 posts, read 242,503 times
I'm fascinated by why people are upset by this. It's paint on rocks. Sure, if someone's painting over some prehistoric carvings or paintings, that would be terrible. But if it's just a random rock ...it's paint on a rock. For the people saying it's graffiti, guess what? It is, but so are those invaluable prehistoric paintings that we cherish. Am I saying she should do it? No. Is she an artist? Not in my eyes, but neither are lots of people who other people do consider to be artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events