Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:49 PM

128 posts, read 203,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Actually, this is helpful in trying to understand the men's mindsets in the video. I don't agree with their assessment of her, but this sheds some light on it. These assumptions wouldn't cross the mind of people in other parts of town, university campuses, etc.

I don't agree that her face indicated openness, but maybe those guys saw her differently. But what about her walk? She was staring straight ahead, not looking around at the guys. She was walking relatively fast, not strutting or showing off, or wiggling. She wasn't being coy. So I don't see it. But I guess we'll have to take your word for it that they did see something that encouraged 'em. But I also think most of those guys would have harassed anyone, even if they were thinner and wore regular jeans and a t-shirt. I think it's kind of a bogus argument that if she'd worn looser jeans and a sweater or jacket, they wouldn't have talked to her.
I've only made opinions on this video from hindsight, so those opinions could be different if I actually saw this play out in real life.

She didn't walk in any suggestive manner, but she doesn't have to wave her ass from side to side like a cow to appear open. Her temperament didn't seem so conservative to make these men believe catcalls would really annoy her. It's just the impression I got from the first few seconds when her face was shown up-close. I haven't been to that area of NYC, but in Hollywood, there are much more attractive girls who don't get anywhere near this kind of crudeness from minority men on the street if they appear more closed. They often do try to meet them, but not with "God bless you, Mami." They will frequently be indirect approaches. Girls with sleeve tattoos, for example, are much more likely to be approached aggressively.

I can say though that a girl like this wouldn't get a glance in predominately white upper-middle-class areas of SoCal. Some men may be more inclined to approach bigger, more ethnic (I believe she has Jewish ancestry), or darker-skinned women assuming they would be easier and/or more approachable than thin white women. This sometimes comes from experience. Since she probably wouldn't get as much attention from upper-middle-class white men, many minority men may assume she'd be more open to aggressive compliments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 07:52 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Women do! Women invite conversation, through their body language (as described multiple times upthread). The one in the vid was not doing that. When women are open to being approached on the street, or anywhere, their demeanor is completely different than the woman's on the video.
These men don't care about these women's body language. You are being completely unrealistic. These men see these opportunities as a low risk situation. If they don't get the woman then they don't lose anything so they will try regardless. You should not expect these men to analyze a woman's body language. Most men will not think that way.

Quote:
And btw, the thing about telling passing strangers to smile is about subservience. Slaves were told to smile. Black laborers and kids under Jim Crow were told to "smile, boy!" If you're weaker, you can be told to smile as a way of showing you're below the person who's talking to you. As a way of showing you're harmless and you're kowtowing to them. You're supposed to please your masters by smiling, by being pleasant and non-threatening, and by acknowledging their superior power.
No you did not compare this to slavery.......

How about ignoring them????? Is that too difficult? I have been asked to stop and come talk to people. Do you have a mind of your own? Why not use it, and walk away. I do it all the time.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:54 PM

294 posts, read 242,503 times
I missed the slavery bit. This thread just keeps on giving.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,682 times
ITT: Lots of men that honestly think they have it bad despite still by far having the most power in society.

These are the same men that, if a story were to pop up about a female teacher having sex with a teen they'd all be saying things like "You can't rape the willing" and "Where were those teachers when I was in school". Truly amazing how ignorant men are. I am pretty sure they make a cosencious effort to STAY ignorant because if they had to face reality they'd realize in order to fix things it would require them giving up a large part of their male privilege. Just like how it took a civil war to finally end slavery I certainly wouldn't be opposed to women taking up arms to end male privilege; I am pretty sure that's what it would take anyway. Talking and trying to explain to them the issues we face will always fall on deaf ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDo_j1yMDPI

Old 10-29-2014, 08:00 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
And there should be male versions as well. Have the actor / person being filmed be a guy. Have a skeezy-looking guy, a short nerd, a douchey-looking power suit finance guy, and a 6'4" Swedish swimtrunks model all conduct their own day long cat-calling and propositioning experiments.

At some point in the future, I'll bet that every minute of every day for every person will be filmed in this manner. Only viewable by those who share of course (or the authorities).

Old 10-29-2014, 08:00 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
These men don't care about these women's body language. You are being completely unrealistic. These men see these opportunities as a low risk situation. If they don't get the woman then they don't lose anything so they will try regardless. You should not expect these men to analyze a woman's body language. Most men will not think that way.
They don't care about body language because they don't care about her. Their goal isn't to get her as their gf. Their goal is to pass the time, get a break from their boredom by taking shots at her. Men who want to legitimately date women pay attention to body language. That's what a lot of the convos are about over on the Relationships forum--how to read women's body language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans;
No you did not compare this to slavery.......

How about ignoring them????? Is that too difficult? I have been asked to stop and come talk to people. Do you have a mind of your own? Why not use it, and walk away. I do it all the time.
She did that. She ignored 'em and walked away. And a couple of dudes followed her. A third one yelled at her as she walked down the block, to smile. What does he care if she smiles? When women like this walk down the street in most neighborhoods, this shyt doesn't happen. So I've been wondering how to fathom what this is about.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:16 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
Yeah, but let's be honest here. Your larger-than-average bust has also gotten you a lot of benefits in life, so complaining that it gets you hit on is sort of lame.
You don't know my life. There's more to woman than her bustline.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 PM

294 posts, read 242,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
You don't know my life. There's more to woman than her bustline.
I don't need to know your life. I just need to know human behavior.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
They don't care about body language because they don't care about her. Their goal isn't to get her as their gf. Their goal is to pass the time, get a break from their boredom by taking shots at her. Men who want to legitimately date women pay attention to body language. That's what a lot of the convos are about over on the Relationships forum--how to read women's body language.
That's my point. There isn't much to expect out of these men. They are what they are. It stinks, but these men could very well be the same men who are insulting to just about anyone who walks by. The best thing to do is ignore them and keep it moving. There was nothing wrong with her doing that to those who were rude.

Quote:
She did that. She ignored 'em and walked away. And a couple of dudes followed her. A third one yelled at her as she walked down the block, to smile. What does he care if she smiles? When women like this walk down the street in most neighborhoods, this shyt doesn't happen. So I've been wondering how to fathom what this is about.
That's what most people do. That's all that needs to be said. If you don't like having to do with it, stay out of the city and considering changing what you wear, otherwise don't expect anything different.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:38 PM

Catcalling video: Hollaback's look at street harassment in NYC edited out the white guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events