Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
On a different thread on this subforum, a poster said the issue was "cultural". I'd like to know more about that. I noticed that the subject of the film chose certain neighborhoods. We don't see her walking through the Upper East Side or Park Avenue, where I'm betting her experience would have been completely different (though we haven't seen the entire 10 hrs.) I'd like to get a better understanding of how street harassment is "cultural". I know if she'd walked through most neighborhoods in Seattle or Berkeley, CA, or San Francisco, no one would have noticed her.
Not at all. I have walked around all of those places and had comments and I'm not that cute. Most days I get friendly hellos and good mornings. Other days I get worse. And I dress conservatively most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 PM

294 posts, read 242,622 times
zing!

Old 10-29-2014, 08:44 PM

128 posts, read 203,109 times
Quote:
They don't care about body language because they don't care about her. Their goal isn't to get her as their gf. Their goal is to pass the time, get a break from their boredom by taking shots at her. Men who want to legitimately date women pay attention to body language. That's what a lot of the convos are about over on the Relationships forum--how to read women's body language.

She did that. She ignored 'em and walked away. And a couple of dudes followed her. A third one yelled at her as she walked down the block, to smile. What does he care if she smiles? When women like this walk down the street in most neighborhoods, this shyt doesn't happen. So I've been wondering how to fathom what this is about.
This is like saying a homeless guy who asks you for a quarter doesn't really care about the money. He must be trying to harass you because he has no game and can't read body language (i.e. read minds).

Old 10-29-2014, 08:44 PM

Best line in the Slate article: "Activism is never perfectly executed." Woah, I thought activism was just showing what actually happens, what do they mean "executed"? (Heavy sarcasm.)

Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
Yes, but women are notorious for not knowing what's work-appropriate. And while jeans and a T-shirt sound innocuous, she's wearing the tightest pair of pants you can imagine with a tight T-shirt over a huge rack. It's not as appropriate as you may think.
Yeah, those antlers sticking out of her shirt are a real attention-getter. Seriously, do you not have any other way of describing a woman? Her dress is normal dress. Not provocative. Let me tell you something that you don't know: Misses' tops are cut for a B-cup. A woman who has a larger bust (or antlers, if you prefer) will automatically have a tighter fit in Misses' sizes.

And what's the average American woman's bra size, you ask?

34DD (I picked a source you'd be sure to like, considering your use of that antler term.)

Isn't that the size of the actress who did the video? So, average American woman, dressed in average American clothing, walks down the street and doesn't want every guy to talk to her. Shocking, ain't it?

Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post

34DD (I picked a source you'd be sure to like, considering your use of that antler term.)
While that would be awesome, I'm highly dubious. At best, that would be a reflection of women becoming more obese, but I'm sure that would upset you to think about.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Yeah, those antlers sticking out of her shirt are a real attention-getter. Seriously, do you not have any other way of describing a woman? Her dress is normal dress. Not provocative. Let me tell you something that you don't know: Misses' tops are cut for a B-cup. A woman who has a larger bust (or antlers, if you prefer) will automatically have a tighter fit in Misses' sizes.

Isn't that the size of the actress who did the video? So, average American woman, dressed in average American clothing, walks down the street and doesn't want every guy to talk to her. Shocking, ain't it?
Hard to believe that's average. Must be average taking into account all the surgically enhanced ones? Cuz I can tell you, there's no way that's average without enhancement. You can just look around you and see that, but also, think back to HS and college. Anything above a C was rare. A & B were more common, IME. If DD was average, Marilyn Monroe wouldn't have been such a big deal, right? So something's off.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Hard to believe that's average. Must be average taking into account all the surgically enhanced ones? Cuz I can tell you, there's no way that's average without enhancement. You can just look around you and see that, but also, think back to HS and college. Anything above a C was rare. A & B were more common, IME. If DD was average, Marilyn Monroe wouldn't have been such a big deal, right? So something's off.
If DD is average, then there's no reason bra manufacturers would need to invent push-up bras.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Who gives a crap about average boob size? You really think that thugs hanging out on streetcorners are only compelled to intimidate women because their cup sizes somehow force such degenerate behavior?

Small chested women are harrassed by the same idiots. It has nothing to do with the victim, its the loser, feral bums instigating the behavior.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
I haven't read this whole thread, but we have one on the NYC forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...han-100-a.html

I'll post my response, same as on there

Quote:
This kind of think happens to me multiple times a day. It's almost always near my office, which is near penn station.

One time, a man followed me for 2 block saying things to me and when I responded "please leave me alone" he followed me for 2 more blocks screaming obscenities at me. This has happened anytime I have asked someone to stop. I think I should be able to walk down the street and without someone say they "want to take a bite out of your ass"

Some people need to just keep their comments to themselves. Last time I was walking and someone whistled at me and when I turned around he was following me and said "yeah that's for you" I simply began walking over to a police officer. He stopped real quick.

And to whoever said she was walking in the hood, she was walking around Soho, Mostly down Broadway. Which is the same place I was accused of being "racist" and followed with death threats for a block all because I didn't want to take (buy) some guy's CD on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events