Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:01 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
The fact that society cares less about black and Latina women is a justification for this kind of behavior?

Is that your rationale? If they were black or Latina no one would care so white people shouldn't care either?

If your hypothesis was true the problem wouldn't be the white parents for caring it would be the black and Latino parents for not caring.

However, I know this is crap.

No parent regardless of color would want to see their daughter harassed in the streets.

I would like to see even one parent come into this thread and state something like: Yeah, I tell my daughter to be flattered and maybe even give one of these guys a chance.
I don't know how a person could be so far off from understanding what I said to even come to the conclusions you made above. I am saying the media wouldn't have bothered running the story on such a grand level for it to make the major morning talk shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,628 times
Look how disingenuous that street harassment campaign is. They PS'ed a brothers head on a white dudes body smh

Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 AM

779 posts, read 632,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
They are rough in my eyes, but I wouldn't post a video making fun of lower class people that just don't know any better. As I stated, most of them probably had it pretty tough growing up, unlike our video maker that is probably from a nice family and couldn't understand how anyone could say hello to her from the other side of the tracks. I find it sad she is making fun of these folks clearly trying to be complementary, but in a lower class manner. I suggest she stays in the wealthier parts of NYC to lower the probability from encountering those from the other side of the tracks. Goodness, what a jerk she is! Sadly, so many people feel it is harassment to say hello because the people saying hello are not educated middle class!
Don't know any better? You take a lot of credit away from someone because they possibly grew up poor. I know plenty of women who grew up poor who feel just like this young lady so it is not just some "oh the scary black boys are trying to rape/hurt/bother" me train of thought.

The geuine hi's and hello's are not rude to most and most people from any side of the track can agree on that. Even when a drunk college boy does it, it can still be just as pitiful. It's why bouncers stay busy on Saturday nights.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:06 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
Spare me your PC tales about how homosexual men are just like normal straight people.

Your gay friends are probably all having a raucous orgy together as I'm writing this. Seriously.
You have issues.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:30 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
That's the thing. You don't need to read between the lines. Her story is not a single story but the story of a lot of women. Women of varying degrees of looks, races, and ages with various body types, in various states of dress. Women who are approached by latinos, blacks, whites, or whoever is in their vicinity. I didn't even know the girl was white. I thought she was Hispanic and funny enough I didn't pay attention to racial similarity of the guys until it came out that they edited out the white guys.
That's the point. I don't see a story here. Ten hours of walking and she got one creepy guy to follow her for a few minutes. The rest, I don't see as harassment or anything to worry about. The choosing of her race and where she walked and the editing of the video was the people who were behind the video trying to manipulate the media so they could get their story out there and they succeeded. Two separate things going on.

Quote:
Apparently, we see the video as standing for different things. I saw it as what a woman goes through if she is even remotely attractive. You saw it as much more. I'm not sure how it is a farce when it was simply reality. I mean they could have aired the entire 10 hours so that you could see the minutes in between the catcalls but it is what happens. It is not mocking sexual assault to point out sexual harassment. Nothing about this video will drown out the high incidents of rape and violent assault on women. One does not need to cancel out the other.
I didn't see any sexual harassment in this video. Nobody touched her, nobody said anything lewd to her and no one propositioned her in any way. The people that crossed the line were the guy that followed her, the guy that kept asking her if she thought he was ugly and maybe a couple of more. That's just life on the streets in a big city.

Quote:
On the fat note you said "Maybe some. Or maybe just nothing at all. It is possible." in response to someone who said "That would be a different thread. I guarantee that video would be made up of disgusted looks, murmured insults or just outright cruel comments."
Okay. Forget I said anything about fat because you seem to not think there is any woman in between the model in the video and someone who looks like they are wearing a fat suit that makes them look like they are 400lbs or more. I have explained this as best as I can. It is entirely possible for a woman to walk by without anyone saying anything. Which is why even this woman had to walk for 10 hours to get enough usable footage.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:35 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
When I was in my early 20's I worked down in the NYC garment district...it was a nightmare...it was part of my job working for a bridal wear company that I had to dress pretty but conservatively...the harassment was awful...the disgusting comments,the dehumanizing staring...I hate to tell this story but even a cop on horseback made an inappropriate comment...it should be considered a mis-demeanor crime...ticket and fines for crude sexual comments or gestures...

Old 10-31-2014, 09:56 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
As a white female, i will tell you that at least 95% of the time, harassment like this comes from black males. And then when I don't respond, half the time I'm accused of being racist!

I don't know which part of it infuriates me more.
Yes because Black males can't control themselves around White Women. Poor you.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:57 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
And about 99% of race discussion consists of stereotyping. If more folks on here left the trailer parks, perhaps they would be exposed to the world beyond their trailer communities
Unfortunately, you joined the gang with that trailer park comment. That's also stereotyping, and it's not very nice. Don't get me wrong, I know you mean no harm, but please don't stoop to the levels. You are better than that.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I watched the video the other other night but haven't read all the comments here.

I'm a 52-year-old woman and IMO there is definitely a difference between greetings such as "Good morning!" "Hello, Beautiful!" and "Whoa, look at that!"

A friendly, flirty greeting from one adult to another was always welcome to me when I was younger and I never took it as harassment or being a threat. That's just part of being young, attractive and alive.

OTOH, comments about particular body parts or "Smile!" or "why won't you talk to me?" or the following alongside are too much.
She walked through some of the ghetto. What do you honestly expect? Some guys are more aggressive than others. That's human nature.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
When I was in my early 20's I worked down in the NYC garment district...it was a nightmare...it was part of my job working for a bridal wear company that I had to dress pretty but conservatively...the harassment was awful...the disgusting comments,the dehumanizing staring...I hate to tell this story but even a cop on horseback made an inappropriate comment...it should be considered a misdemeanor crime...ticket and fines for crude sexual comments or gestures...
What's so dehumanizing about a male staring at the opposite gender? You act as if women don't stare at guys. If you can't handle a little catcalling than I don't see how you would even have the courage to leave your own house. You should take it as a complement that you are an attractive woman and guys noticing it enough to say something about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events