Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
My aunt had someone honk at her and yell nice ass while she was crossing the street just last week. She's 68 years old. Her ass looks fine, but really?
Maybe the guy in the car was in his 70's, and to him a 68 year old is a young hottie

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 05:52 AM

6,386 posts, read 6,274,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Yes because Black males can't control themselves around White Women. Poor you.
I was waiting how long it would take for someone to misinterpret my comment and bring it to this level.

That was not the point of my post AT ALL. And one of the few times I didn't qualify such a post with " i am not racist but this is my experience. .."

It IS my experience. And I am neither white nor black.

"Poor you" for being unable to look beyond your racial biases to have an honest conversation.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
She walked through some of the ghetto. What do you honestly expect? Some guys are more aggressive than others. That's human nature.
Quote:
What's so dehumanizing about a male staring at the opposite gender? You act as if women don't stare at guys. If you can't handle a little catcalling than I don't see how you would even have the courage to leave your own house. You should take it as a complement that you are an attractive woman and guys noticing it enough to say something about it.
You are only cherry picking parts of the argument and statements here to try and prove your point. We get it. You think harassment of women is fine to do. You think everyone should do it and you do it daily.

See how that feels to not have your actual point addressed and your words twisted?

Old 11-01-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I started getting catcalls at the age of 12. Yup. 12. Guys honking, yelling "hey baby/beatiful," crap like that. As a kid it was pretty humiliating. As an adult it's creepy when a guy just suddenly yells out at you or stares at you in that, "I want some of that" type of way. I hated it. And as an introvert I don't like attention so it makes me very uncomfortable.

However, I've had guys approach me by just looking at me and telling me I was very attractive in a polite way. And I have no problems with that. I think it comes down to whether the form of communication is polite or could be perceived as derogatory. To me, yelling about my body is derogatory and makes me feel threatened. Commenting on looks in a polite way even if it's out of the blue probably won't cause bad sentiments on behalf of the recipient. But it's all how it's worded and conveyed.
My thoughts exactly. I'm also an introvert and have been enduring this behavior since about age 9. If you want to give me a compliment, that is a totally different issue than wanting to overtly sexualize me and then become angry when I dont reciprocate.

I've had people follow me home from school and work. I was lucky that it stopped there but this is the next step in such behaviors. What do you think is the next phase of escalation from a guy walking next to you for multiple blocks who is not welcome?

Old 11-01-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
They would have so much more validity if they were showing how a female should handle herself when she is in an uncomfortable position. Why not empower women instead of infantilize them?

I would never have allowed that guy to follow me for five minutes.

In my entire life, I have never had 100 catcalls in a 10 hour period. This was out of the norm.

Unfortunately, this is not out of the norm for many depending on people involved and location.

How do YOU usually handle this without having the situation escalate? As I said above, i am usually called "racist" when I blatantly tell people in a calm way that I do not appreciate their advances.

The point here is that women should not have to put up with it at all. It's an "awareness" video not a "how to" video.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombon View Post
Notice how your mom didn't just say "no, this is her right!!"? You might want to learn something from her.
Yes, let's go back 20-50 years ago because life was so much better for women then.

Nowadays, girls as young as 6 are wearing bikinis since they're easier for parents and the girl to maneuver. They should be able to do so and not expect harassment.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I do. It happens all the time at high school and on college campuses. You would be surprised to what women respond to. Obviously maturity is a factor.
The only women I've seen respond positively to such behaviors are those with low self esteem who would like it to happen more. Luckily, IME, this is not the normal response.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:27 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
If women are offended, maybe they should also be offended by Beyoncé bouncing her almost naked azz around a stage on the super bowl or live TV.

A lot of media, music and movie personalities promote sleaziness.
We shouldn't be surprised when it influences people.

I still believe most men don't Hollaback on women walking down the street.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I have seen black women every once in awhile react positively to random guys walking up to them, trying to talk to them like they have game but they come off as totally insincere & desperate. However, one time I was waiting for the bus & there was a black girl standing close by. A black guy came up to her & started giving her his spiel, asking for her number & stuff like that. She shot him down politely telling him she had a boyfriend & he ended up leaving. We looked at each other & kinda laughed & she asked me if I thought she had been rude. I was like no way, you were totally polite to him, I was impressed actually.
There is always the default "fake boyfriend" response. I used to default to this for ease until I got fed up with ANOTHER MALE being the only thing that will make most of these guys back off.

So when I now politely say that I'm "not interested," i get accused of being a racist and/or a snob. Neither one is accurate. If i feel safe enough to say, "I don't like the way you are approaching me," it makes no difference. They don't see how their behavior is disrespectful and they just conclude that I'm a snob and/or racist because they refuse to consider their behavior as being what is in the wrong.

Much like the posters here who do not see this video as harassment. ....

Old 11-01-2014, 06:31 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Ever wonder why "street harassment" wasn't in many people's vocabulary in 1997?
Since about 2008 people have been told they are victims.

Good way to evil up certain people and get the votes of the Victims.

Calling Sandra Fluke.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events