Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:42 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
Wow, that's almost exactly like asking someone "how are you this evening?"! You're right!!
Mimbos who harass women on the street never politely say "How are you this evening?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 11:42 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
That's no joke. True story--and it is still hard for me to believe. I was walking home from work--6 pm, still daylight on 2nd Ave, upper east side. A regular looking guy just stopped right in front of me and in a perfectly normal tone of voice said "you wanna give me a bl*w job?" I was so shocked that my first reaction was to look around for a cop and there weren't any, so I just walked around him--but I was shaking all the way home.

I also had a perfectly respectable looking guy try to pick me up on the street and follow me home, so of course then you can't go home as he will know where you live, so I had to walk around until I knew he was gone. He started off with "I'm a photographer--are you a model?" (again in my business clothes and obviously not). They think if they come at you with ridiculous flattery it will work-- I'm ok, but I am well aware I do not look like a model. Harassment on the street is real and it is not "welcomed."
The strategy for this that I've been told about is that you go into a store or restaurant, if you know you're being followed, and report it to the staff, and point at the dude through the window. That usually takes care of it. If he loiters around, you can call police. Some neighborhoods have police nearby, like bike police, who can arrive in a minute or two.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:43 AM

294 posts, read 242,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
She has hips. Based on the rest of her body, she clearly has curves. To what extent I don't know nor do I care.
00:35 of the video.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Mimbos who harass women on the street never politely say "How are you this evening?"
The discussion we were having was about a guy in the video who asked her "how are you this evening" and I was told that was harassment. You then replied to her post and said "for example, this one guy asked me for a BJ."

Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Wow. Did she elaborate? There does seem to be a cultural gap here. I wish someone could have moderated the discussion to go deeper into that.
Everybody raised their eyebrows at her, and they did argue some about it. But she just kept saying, "I just don't see how everyone is going nuts over some guys being nice to you and complimenting you, I would welcome it." They all just dropped their mouths open. It was pretty funny. It looked like Norah was about to keep arguing, she looked kinda pissed, but they had to go to commercial.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I cannot believe the mofos who are blaming the woman for the cat calls (nice or not) based on what she's wearing.

Some of you are completely lost causes.
Hate to state the obvious, but they probably are the type who do bug women on the streets, and are simply trying to justify their own behavior that is basically unwanted attention.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:46 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:

As far as what she was wearing, if you had a teenage daughter, especially if she was built like this woman, would you be okay with that daughter walking on those streets with that outfit on?
Yes, of course. She's dressed normally, like most other young ladies out there. I don't see her "built" unusually. Most young women are built like young women.

And she's walking through normal neighborhoods in NYC. I know these areas, and they're all pretty safe and lots of pedestrians, at all hours. There are no "bad" neighborhoods on this video, really.

I don't have a teenage daughter, but obviously if I eventually do, she will probably be walking though neighborhoods on her own one day, and I would appreciate her not being harassed, regardless of butt size, type of clothing, or neighborhood.

Quote:
I have a couple of daughters myself and if that was the case I would tell them to wear something different or not to walk around because it's not necessarily about what they are doing but knowing what men would think.
No, it has nothing to do with what men will think. Men can think whatever they want. Men aren't allowed to harass other people, that's all.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:47 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
She has hips. Based on the rest of her body, she clearly has curves. To what extent I don't know nor do I care. The point is, her body was going to draw attention.

As far as what she was wearing, if you had a teenage daughter, especially if she was built like this woman, would you be okay with that daughter walking on those streets with that outfit on?

I have a couple of daughters myself and if that was the case I would tell them to wear something different or not to walk around because it's not necessarily about what they are doing but knowing what men would think.
But what does this mean? Her body may attract attention, but most people have the sense not to verbalize, and to just admire the scenery as it walks by. Women like that do go to university classes, or do their shopping in their neighborhood grocery store, and nothing happens. So this doesn't explain anything. Seriously, when you go to the grocery store, do you hear catcalls and shouted pickup lines? Did you hear that as a uni student going to classes? So the question is, why are the dudes in the film doing it? Why did a couple of 'em follow her, as if that's a normal thing to do?

Old 10-29-2014, 11:48 AM

Whew, it's OK, guys, we're still allowed to think thoughts! She let us!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:48 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I cannot believe the mofos who are blaming the woman for the cat calls (nice or not) based on what she's wearing.

Some of you are completely lost causes.
This mentality is stupid. I don't think anyone is blaming her. The issue here, is expecting that you are going to change other people's behavior. She knew what would happen before she did this. I equate this to walking through a bad neighborhood with a wad of cash in your hands. Although you have every right to hold your money out and you should not have to worry about being attacked, the point then becomes, is it wise to do it though. You cannot control how people react to you. You don't walk on a busy street with form fitting clothes for similar reason why you have a wallet and you keep it in your pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events