Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 02:05 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times

Advertisements

Some of it could be harassment but some is just humans being humans and annoying each other when we get into the same "space". And in big cities there are always people who entertain themselves by standing around and making comments to people, it's a real thing.

I've had some of that stuff happen to me before. The guy following her and the one saying "don't want to be my friend?" were probably the worst thing there and I'd feel harassed by that. I've had some comment made to me in parking lot's or when I was walking somewhere alone that I didn't appreciate because I know they were meant to intimidate me when I was clearly not out looking to meet someone and start a conversation.

On the other hand, I also remember being about 22 and wearing something kind of fancy one day. I was in the grocery store staring at a shelf when a guy walked by and gave me the "Oooooo girl you have got it TOGETHER!" thing. He was a black guy and I didn't feel threatened, I was flattered and said "thank you"! I proudly told that story to a bunch of people.

Maybe it was my youth or maybe things were just different way back when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 02:33 AM

779 posts, read 632,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
What it boils down to me is that I know "the secret." And that is that this was a setup. I know these people have an agenda. I know they have edited the tape in a dishonest way and I know they picked this woman and asked her to dress a certain way because they have motives. That's why I rule out any of their "findings." If some woman built like her wearing a similar outfit just happened to be caught on video by security cameras and cell phones or whatever getting an inordinate amount of attention then we'd be on to something. But because these guys have a narrative I discount what they are trying to present to me. Like in a law, theyd be thrown out of court because they've doctored the evidence.

Her outfit is fine. But she knows she looks better in it then many other women do. I cant seem to explain to you why tight jeans and a form fitting shirt are more eye catching on a woman with a large chest and butt then it would be on a skinnier woman. And all the women who claim they can roll out of bed with no makeup and frazzled hair and throw on a baggy sweatshirt and ratty sweat pants and still get mobbed by cat callers, I applaud you. You must all be truly beautiful people because I know plenty of women who can't say the same. I know that Halle is fine all the time and under all circumstances. But the bottom line is this woman knows shes pretty, knows she looks good in that outfit and was trolling for eyeballs and got them. Its not the same as someone casually trying to get where they are going and being harrassed by a bunch of men who say more then just "hello." Because basically that's all that happened to her.
I never needed you to explain that to me. I never said that I was confused by that concept you got stuck on the hierarchy of hotness and the percentage of attention that one gets over the other.My only point on the subject was expecting women to go around dressed like bums, nuns or more and more conservative in order to avoid attention is silly and that funny enough, even when they do they still get someone saying something to them.

It is exactly the same action. Casually walking down the street is casually walking down the street and wearing a basic outfit that compliments your body but is just basic is nowhere near trolling.it's showing how everyday women get approached. I can set their motives aside because I didn't need to be swayed one way or another. I'm sure that if she was a super plain Jane with no curves, bad hair, bad teeth, and a terrible outfit that they wouldn't have talked to her but that is not representative of the average woman. Most women have some butt, some boob, nice legs, nice hair, a nice smile our something that garners attention.

There was a nice segment on the Daily Show made prior to this video. Listen to their interviews and look at these ordinary everyday women talk about their experiences. It's very simple and they had no "agenda" when walking around. You can agree or disagree with Jessica's take on the subject but their stories and reactions are pretty consistent with how most ladies I know feel and have experienced.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
That guy walking next to her for 5 minutes was creepy.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:27 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Some of it could be harassment but some is just humans being humans and annoying each other when we get into the same "space". And in big cities there are always people who entertain themselves by standing around and making comments to people, it's a real thing.

I've had some of that stuff happen to me before. The guy following her and the one saying "don't want to be my friend?" were probably the worst thing there and I'd feel harassed by that. I've had some comment made to me in parking lot's or when I was walking somewhere alone that I didn't appreciate because I know they were meant to intimidate me when I was clearly not out looking to meet someone and start a conversation.

On the other hand, I also remember being about 22 and wearing something kind of fancy one day. I was in the grocery store staring at a shelf when a guy walked by and gave me the "Oooooo girl you have got it TOGETHER!" thing. He was a black guy and I didn't feel threatened, I was flattered and said "thank you"! I proudly told that story to a bunch of people.

Maybe it was my youth or maybe things were just different way back when.
That reminds me..once I was in a store looking at makeup...this black guy said "you don't need that!" Thought that was very sweet.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:06 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's not that uncommon to find women walking around in full Burkas in certain sections of Philadelphia. I have never seen a women in a Burka get catcalled by dudes on the street. Just saying.
I have never seen a woman in a mini skirt get catcalled. Do you think that means it doesn't exist? Many men here claim they've *never* seen a woman get catcalled, or never seen a woman who is not conventionally attractive get catcalled despite the stories of real live women here.

While I've never seen a woman in a burka get catcalled, many of my friends are Orthodox Jews who get that kind of treatment. They wear modest clothing covering their collar bone, elbows, and skirts past their knees with "bulletproof stockings" as well as their hair covered if they're married. While not quite a burka, it's not all too far off.

And as I've said before in this thread, one of the times I was followed and harassed, I was wearing an ankle length poofy parka and snow boots because it was 15 degrees outside with 2 feet of snow on the ground. Between the hood, hat, and scarf wrapped around my face, I wasn't showing much more than a burka would. Didn't stop street harassment.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
When you wear a burka they can't see your face or your body type. I used the burka as an extreme example.
That's exactly what I was saying the guy told me was the turn on; what he couldn't see and what he imagined. He said some of his friends imagined that as well. Again, probably because in our culture we aren't use to seeing this type of dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Somebody got dumped recently. ...
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XX View Post
No matter what you use the bold key on. Nobody gets it. That didn't make any sense.

But we get it. You're one of them.

I'm out.
LOL! They are both one of "them." I'm out too. At least as far as these two are concerned. Ever heard the expression "whistling down a well?"

Old 11-02-2014, 01:18 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
I never needed you to explain that to me. I never said that I was confused by that concept you got stuck on the hierarchy of hotness and the percentage of attention that one gets over the other.My only point on the subject was expecting women to go around dressed like bums, nuns or more and more conservative in order to avoid attention is silly and that funny enough, even when they do they still get someone saying something to them.
So you understand that there are levels and percentages but yet you still make a specious comment that I expect women to dress like bums or nuns. There's just no grey with you is there? We have to face the facts that there are more conservative ways to dress and that some women are hotter then others. An extremely hot woman with a pretty face and a rockin bod is going to catch hell unless she wears a burka or a potato sack and even then some catcaller will sniff her out. We cant do anything about that. It is human nature for men to notice and pay more attention to an attractive woman but it is culture or lack of civility that causes some men to act out in a way that can be unpleasant.

Quote:
It is exactly the same action. Casually walking down the street is casually walking down the street and wearing a basic outfit that compliments your body but is just basic is nowhere near trolling.it's showing how everyday women get approached. I can set their motives aside because I didn't need to be swayed one way or another. I'm sure that if she was a super plain Jane with no curves, bad hair, bad teeth, and a terrible outfit that they wouldn't have talked to her but that is not representative of the average woman. Most women have some butt, some boob, nice legs, nice hair, a nice smile our something that garners attention.
whatever. I do not think "most" women have some butt, some boobs and nice hair and nice smile and nice legs. Average is just that, average. And average only gets attention when nothing better is around. You can dress nice, conservative or casual and try to blend in or you can do things to stand out and be noticed and you will especially if you have great physical attraction to start with. Like pimbolo said earlier, women's clothing is geared to accentuate the female form and men are hardwired to notice it.

Quote:
There was a nice segment on the Daily Show made prior to this video. Listen to their interviews and look at these ordinary everyday women talk about their experiences. It's very simple and they had no "agenda" when walking around. You can agree or disagree with Jessica's take on the subject but their stories and reactions are pretty consistent with how most ladies I know feel and have experienced.
Ill take a look at it.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:19 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,730,641 times
It's very rude to do this to any woman. But, it's NY. I'm not making excuses, but NYers are terrible.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:36 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
okay I watched it. The two examples where she claims she got catcalled was where a guy said something like, "hi how are you?" When she walked near a construction site and then another guy said. "Nice hair."

Then she made fun of the fox news guy who claps when he sees a hottie in the midst of the women anchors who said they didnt mind catcalling.

What am I missing? Hello and nice hair are catcalls and harrasment? That's insane. You can be any woman and wearing whatever you want and you are subject to get that. I think it is ridiculous to expect men not to do that. The clapping? Yeah I think thats stupid but he claims it works for him so whatever. Something obscene like , Hey sugar ****" yeah thats bad but ive already covered that. Nothing in those videos changes the way I feel about this.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,730,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
okay I watched it. The two examples where she claims she got catcalled was where a guy said something like, "hi how are you?" When she walked near a construction site and then another guy said. "Nice hair."

Then she made fun of the fox news guy who claps when he sees a hottie in the midst of the women anchors who said they didnt mind catcalling.

What am I missing? Hello and nice hair are catcalls and harrasment? That's insane. You can be any woman and wearing whatever you want and you are subject to get that. I think it is ridiculous to expect men not to do that. The clapping? Yeah I think thats stupid but he claims it works for him so whatever. Something obscene like , Hey sugar ****" yeah thats bad but ive already covered that. Nothing in those videos changes the way I feel about this.
The part where the guy follows here for 4 minutes is harassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events