Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:56 AM

217 posts, read 314,146 times

Advertisements

She wasn't even that attractive.... I 'm sure everything was staged. lol

She kind of has short chubby arms, and a big butt. If I saw her on the street I wouldn't even notice her to be quite honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 09:15 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Which comedian is it that did a bit on men driving and honking their horns at women? I really wish I could find it to post here. Hilarious.
that was Jerry Seinfeld. Hysterical is right!

Old 11-03-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
She wasn't even that attractive.... I 'm sure everything was staged. lol

She kind of has short chubby arms, and a big butt. If I saw her on the street I wouldn't even notice her to be quite honest.
I agree, but I'm a female. I saw prettier girls walking along side this one, that no one seemed to notice lol. Probably was all staged.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM

779 posts, read 632,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Because the level of attention can generally be manipulated by how physically attractive one's outward appearance is.

I guess so, but I think there will always be people who cater to this behavior as well as are party to it. Men and women. Someone also made the parallel to a white manager hiring a cute secretary. Maybe she isn't the most qualified, but she gets the job because of how she looks and what she wears to an interview. Do we have videos to speak out against that? How can we put an end to that? It is the ultimate catcall because now he has her to look at the flirt with everyday, he doesn't have to do it on the street. Is he any better then the construction worker? All of us have work to do on all levels and all colors and all economic standings if we want to end this - but I think it is a unwinnable battle.

I saw one where she had like 20 or so women in a studio audience style talk show and she got a few of their reactions. We didn't see what happened to them, we just saw they were upset. To me, they could probably be upset just because some guy said "Hi." I don't know. However, if you have a link I'd be glad to take a look.
It's not that I don't understand the concept. I don't understand it's place in this conversation.

They actually do discuss that. I'm not sure how you would make a video but attractive people getting a step up based on their looks is a topic of discussion. Much like race or gender based hiring, it's one of those things where it's really hard to prove but fairly known that it goes on from time to time. At least if he acts on his intentions action can be taken with HR and that is because not too long ago someone kept standing up against that behavior instead of just brushing it off. Unwinnable war but not a battle that everyone wants to end. It costs nothing too fight it and the gains aren't terrible.

A few of them gave examples of why they were upset.
"One time a guy came up and he was literally inches behind me and was like I want to F you in the A"
"A guy once said he would like to S on my T and take a dump on my breasts"
"Beautiful is fine but B I want to eat your P that's a whole different story"
The Daily Show

The thing is I bet the majority are the nice ones and as we keep repeating a lot of people are ok with that. I cannot speak for lady-kind but when I've had chats with the ladies about this stuff in the past most don't say that they are creeped out by nice guys being nice. It's the ones that make you feel like they're seconds away from trying to lick your face or the ones who curse you out and turn menacing after you don't give the response that they want that tend get you.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:37 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I agree, but I'm a female. I saw prettier girls walking along side this one, that no one seemed to notice lol. Probably was all staged.
I was thinking the cameraman probably had a sign or T-shirt that would draw attention her way.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Interesting, I don't see where anyone who supports this kind of behavior has answered my question as to how they would feel about their mother, sister, girlfriend or any woman in their lives getting attention in this manner. I guess it's fine as long as someone else's yard is being fouled and not theirs.

I am not saying that all of the things mentioned are to be considered as harassment but shouting at strangers is always rude no matter who is doing the shouting. Pure and simple. Those who do it belong in caves.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:53 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Interesting, I don't see where anyone who supports this kind of behavior has answered my question as to how they would feel about their mother, sister, girlfriend or any woman in their lives getting attention in this manner. I guess it's fine as long as someone else's yard is being fouled and not theirs.
Regardless if it's my mother, sister, girlfriend, or any other female I know, if they don't like the catcalling them simply ignore it. It's pretty simple.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:00 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
My guess is that for every whining feminist there are scores of lonely women who would appreciate the attention.
No. Not that kind of attention. Women appreciate attention when given at appropriate times in an appropriate way. In this instance, it wasn't appropriate because her manner made it clear she wasn't there to stop and be friendly, she was on her way somewhere, and she made sure not to make eye contact with anyone, or to even glance around and risk the chance of anyone making eye contact with her. All women want is the same respect that men get. For example, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter;
It's f---ing harassment. Nobody says that to me. Again I'm a white guy. I work one day a week in Manhattan. I like to think I'm good looking. I would be pissed to be put in that situation. Say thank you? I'm being dishonest cause I didn't mean thank you, I meant shut the f**k up I'm trying to walk
Is this guy male-ist for expecting to be treated with respect and to be able to walk down the street without harassment? Are African Americans Black-ist for wanting to be treated with the same respect as everyone else? Why are women expected to take cr@p from people, and are put down if they protest, but other people aren't?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-03-2014 at 11:18 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 11:09 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
It's not that I don't understand the concept. I don't understand it's place in this conversation.
Because I think the whole thing is being sensationalized and over exaggerated and lines have been blurred. I am not going to lump "How are you miss?" in with "I want to F her in the P." or even with "Hey baby, you look HOT!" All three are different and only one is catcalling. If you want to stop people from saying Hi to you, then I think you are a sociopath, but you should probably go to great lengths to look as unattractive and unapproachable as possible and avoid people as much as possible, so move away from any major city and wear a cardboard box or one of those camo shields the Predator had. If you want to lessen the amount of people from catcalling you by whistling at you or demanding that you smile or saying your ass looks good in dem jeans then I suggest you dress more conservatively. If you want to lower the amount of people from getting up close to you and trying to lick your face, conceal carry, use mace/pepper spray/taser, learn kung fu because nothing we say here is going to affect creeps like that regardless. And also, nothing is going to ensure the possibility of it ever happening.

Quote:
They actually do discuss that. I'm not sure how you would make a video but attractive people getting a step up based on their looks is a topic of discussion. Much like race or gender based hiring, it's one of those things where it's really hard to prove but fairly known that it goes on from time to time. At least if he acts on his intentions action can be taken with HR and that is because not too long ago someone kept standing up against that behavior instead of just brushing it off. Unwinnable war but not a battle that everyone wants to end. It costs nothing too fight it and the gains aren't terrible.
Fair enough.

Quote:
A few of them gave examples of why they were upset.
"One time a guy came up and he was literally inches behind me and was like I want to F you in the A"
"A guy once said he would like to S on my T and take a dump on my breasts"
"Beautiful is fine but B I want to eat your P that's a whole different story"
The Daily Show
That's not saying "Hi." or catcalling, that's something else entirely. That's why I don't like videos like the OP that lum them all together as seemingly different degrees of the same behavior or the narrative that supports that every black guy that says hi to white woman on the streets just wants to take a dump on her boobs.

Quote:
The thing is I bet the majority are the nice ones and as we keep repeating a lot of people are ok with that. I cannot speak for lady-kind but when I've had chats with the ladies about this stuff in the past most don't say that they are creeped out by nice guys being nice. It's the ones that make you feel like they're seconds away from trying to lick your face or the ones who curse you out and turn menacing after you don't give the response that they want that tend get you.
Unfortunately that's just something we all have to live wit, especially in major cities. You have to keep your guard up and do things to protect yourself and be aware of your surroundings. Freaking out because some guy said, "Nice hair." isn't serving the greater good.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I was thinking the cameraman probably had a sign or T-shirt that would draw attention her way.
It did seem a lot of the people were looking towards the camera. You are probably right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events