Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:21 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,085,919 times

Advertisements

[quote=Equal-Opp.;37129817]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No matter how much you try and dress wants as philosophical, they're just your selfish demands of others.

IT is selfish to take it upon yourself and take your own life, not considering the effect of your love ones. for example Birittany decided to take her life after her husbands birthday. how do you think that will effect him every year on his birthday.
She didn't decide to take her own life. Cancer did that. I would rather my loved ones remember me with my dignity, not after weeks or months of terrible pain where I slowly lose my ability to take care of myself or even know what I'm doing or saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 11:23 AM

584 posts, read 869,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
It's impossible to know how you'd react when faced with an unbearable decision. No one has the right to judge her choices. She was stuck between a rock and a hard place. It seems cruel for healthy people to say that her decision was wrong because of their own personal beliefs. It was an impossible situation for her family, as well. No one wants to watch a loved one suffer horribly and no one wants to lose their loved ones.
We do have a right to our opinion and no matter how our loves die the hurt from losing them hurts the same.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:26 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,247,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
I do understand why Brittany did what she did but if she was my family member I would have talked her out of it.
No, you might have TRIED to talk her out of it, but I doubt you would have been successful. Do you really think she didn't have anyone trying to convince her not to do it? She heard all the arguments, and still made the decision she did.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:29 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,767,400 times
Quote:
We do have a right to our opinion and no matter how our loves die the hurt from losing them hurts the same.
Watching a loved one suffer the effects of brain cancer affects them, too. That's why it's such an impossible situation. I'm glad she her suffering is done before it became so horrible she couldn't have made a rational decision. But, still, what a horrible decision to have to face. I feel for anyone in that situation. I'm sure her family and friends will be mourning her for quite some time.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:35 AM

584 posts, read 869,248 times
[quote=strawberrykiki;37130041]
Quote:

She didn't decide to take her own life. Cancer did that. I would rather my loved ones remember me with my dignity, not after weeks or months of terrible pain where I slowly lose my ability to take care of myself or even know what I'm doing or saying.
No cancer didn't take her life, she took her own life. Cancer probably would have eventually taken her life but she ended before that happened. I would view a loved one losing their battle with cancer a stong person who fought a good fight until the end with courage and strength. I would not look at them as losing dignity because they can not physically take care of themselves. There are medications for patients to make them feel comfortable and not feel any pain.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:47 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,959,208 times
Quote:
IT is selfish to take it upon yourself and take your own life, not considering the effect of your love ones. for example Birittany decided to take her life after her husbands birthday. how do you think that will effect him every year on his birthday.
And you don't think she discussed it with her husband and they came to a mutual decision one what day it would happen? You don't think she had a serious talk with the rest of her family about her decision? She was diagnosed in April with roughly 6 months to live. Her death could have happened naturally 2 days after his birthday, or on his birthday. And if it wasn't his birthday then it would have been Thanksgiving, or Christmas, or New Years...

Its not like she took her life ON his birthday. They were able to celebrate it together, have the next day together... and then she peacefully died the following day. No, it probably wasn't the greatest of birthdays knowing she was going to die in two days, but they knew anyway that she was going to die and that she wouldn't be around for his next birthday, even if she died naturally.

And how selfish are you in declaring that someone can't die on a day you don't see fit? What is the magically number when it comes to how many days between a special celebration/holiday and a loved ones death? "Sorry honey, you have to continued suffering in extreme pain because I don't want MY birthday celebration to be ruined next year." I would expect such things from a child, but a grown man would not say such things. A grown man would know that there are more important things in life then how they are going to feel on their birthday next year. I remember as a child, being angry at my grandmother for going to the hospital on my 7th birthday, and my mother cancelling my party to go be with her. I recognize now that I was being extremely childish (because I was a child) about my grandmother being extremely ill. I would never even think to be angry about such a thing now that I am an adult.

Last edited by Sundaydrive00; 11-03-2014 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 14,465 times
Equal-Opp., what a strange choice of id for someone with your mindset.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,309,180 times
Shes a coward. Fight it out to the bitter end I say. ********** dignity crap you never know what could happen. Oh well life has a way of weeding out the weak.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:59 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,263,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Shes a coward. Fight it out to the bitter end I say. ********** dignity crap you never know what could happen. Oh well life has a way of weeding out the weak.
That post is mean.

Just plain mean.......no point at all....IMO.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,959,208 times
Quote:
No cancer didn't take her life, she took her own life. Cancer probably would have eventually taken her life but she ended before that happened. I would view a loved one losing their battle with cancer a stong person who fought a good fight until the end with courage and strength. I would not look at them as losing dignity because they can not physically take care of themselves. There are medications for patients to make them feel comfortable and not feel any pain.
Medications help, but there is no miracle drug out there that is going to make everything better. Her body would still deteriorate, she would still have seizures more and more frequently, she would still loose complete control over her own body. She would no longer be herself. Medicine might take some of the pain away, but she would still have had a long, drawn out, painful death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events