Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:35 PM

607 posts, read 764,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So let me see. If you are in your 60s, 70s, or, oh my, even 80s, you are so concerned about these "early stages" of these cancers? Hello? At these ages, you are doing to DIE VERY SOON from something. Hell, you have somehow managed to live this long whatever your lifestyle. Medicine cannot make you live forever, despite all their "Wellness" programs.
Interesting thought/observation..I often think of that when I see people jogging or biking.....I jog and bike as well, but sometimes we do get the illusion that if we just live this perfect life, and do the right things, we will never get old, let alone die...

It's all genetics.....genetics trumps lifestyle everytime, in every lifetime. One slightly irritating thing about genes is they contain the seeds of their own destruction....at a point, they decide it's time to stop replicating, or to slow it down....that is also known as age....

Obviously no wellness program will cure anything. I do agree that some presume that their is some magic secret out there, that, perhaps, we can all tap into, some "keys of the kingdom" guidelines that we can stay young and healthy forever with, if we only adhere with what THEY say...

Prob is, THEY don't know either...

We are all just winging this thing called health....that being said, we and "they"(they med establishment") have made great strides.....

I still think many people think they will never age or get old(and that prob is also in our genes, otherwise we would go crazy......how could we function if we knew we would pass..then again, those diagnosed with terminal things seem to live fully, in a bucket list way..maybe we SHOULD think of it more..)

Last edited by scottkuzminski; 11-19-2014 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 04:32 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,832,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
Interesting thought/observation..I often think of that when I see people jogging or biking.....I jog and bike as well, but sometimes we do get the illusion that if we just live this perfect life, and do the right things, we will never get old, let alone die...

It's all genetics.....genetics trumps lifestyle everytime, in every lifetime. One slightly irritating thing about genes is they contain the seeds of their own destruction....at a point, they decide it's time to stop replicating, or to slow it down....that is also known as age....

Obviously no wellness program will cure anything. I do agree that some presume that their is some magic secret out there, that, perhaps, we can all tap into, some "keys of the kingdom" guidelines that we can stay young and healthy forever with, if we only adhere with what THEY say...

Prob is, THEY don't know either...

We are all just winging this thing called health....that being said, we and "they"(they med establishment") have made great strides.....

I still think many people think they will never age or get old(and that prob is also in our genes, otherwise we would go crazy......how could we function if we knew we would pass..then again, those diagnosed with terminal things seem to live fully, in a bucket list way..maybe we SHOULD think of it more..)
You are missing the point. Wellness programs can not cure. But they can detect health problems that can be cured. That is the reason for them.

Obviously good genes are important for good health. So is exercise, proper eating habits, a moderate lifestyle, etc. However, even given these, people do become ill and can have serious health issues.

You are deluding yourself if you think differently.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,294,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I will return to the thread tomorrow or Friday, but I just wanted to point out that this is the most amazing sentence in the history of internet newsgroups, message boards, and forums. It encompasses everything. We should all write it on a post-it and stick it to our monitor edge. Well done Mr. Weichert, well done.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,832,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I will return to the thread tomorrow or Friday, but I just wanted to point out that this is the most amazing sentence in the history of internet newsgroups, message boards, and forums. It encompasses everything. We should all write it on a post-it and stick it to our monitor edge. Well done Mr. Weichert, well done.
Thanks.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You are missing the point. Wellness programs can not cure. But they can detect health problems that can be cured. That is the reason for them.

Obviously good genes are important for good health. So is exercise, proper eating habits, a moderate lifestyle, etc. However, even given these, people do become ill and can have serious health issues.

I think it a good think, again, for a wellness check...just not when you have no control over how your data is used(or can be used against you)....there can also be false positives, negatives, and readings, especially if they just draw blood at one shot once, or you have eaten/taken something that throws off the readings..

What used to be an annual check-up is now under the guise of a "wellness program"....and that is a good thing...however, as mature and responsible adults, we should initiate that ourselves, and with our family doctor....

Old 11-21-2014, 12:23 AM

389 posts, read 427,997 times
^^ I agree completely. I wouldn't feel comfortable with anyone other than my Dr. Humans are going to get sick 'that's a part of life. These stupid companies need to just hire robots.... I feel like this is an invasion of privacy.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:16 PM

I appreciate all the comments.....

I would not say I am shocked, as I know City-Data attracts a quite intelligent crowd, however, I am rather pleased
that so many intelligent comments were logged on this thread.....

I can saw that I think, differently, myself, of this topic, as I see how thoughts about this run the gamut..

Some are fine with sharing their biodata, most likely the same who see this as nothing much more than a check-up, with no worries about the data being abused...

Some are quite alarmed, and not comfortable with the feeling of not being in control of the aforesaid data, regardless of how their respective companies may treat the same..

Most people prob somewhere in between, still trying to parse the info and see what exactly is going on, how this will play itself out...

I can't add anymore here, so thanks, again, everyone, for sharing so many intelligent thoughts about this...

I certainly have a far greater perspective from the posts....Perhaps some organization will find these posts useful as they implement their own policies...

Thanks, again, for sharing, and keep in good health, regardless....

-Scott

Old 11-22-2014, 05:09 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,283,007 times
What's the point of being under a group policy if individuals are going to be rated separately?
The privacy issue could be averted by the company giving an allowance to everybody and they would get their own policies.
Your medical information would then really only be between you and the insurance company.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,872,665 times
The disorganized and unprofessional examples cited here are just that and should be seen in context. But genuinely properly conducted wellness screenings are enormously beneficial in ascertaining current health and future areas of concern.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:11 AM

251 posts, read 342,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It would be great if employers would just divest themselves from anything to do with medical insurance; this is one of the most idiotic social set ups ever thought of.
added a reputation but must also quote this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events