Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:26 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately the hostages were both killed in the ensuing firefight.

But still, I have to give credit to the administration for giving their best effort to rescue them.

Apologies if this has already been posted.
Luke Somers Raid in Yemen: How It Went Wrong - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:57 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
At least he died like a man and not like an animal being executed. Our boys also got more practice exterminating that vile bunch of cowards. That's a good thing.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:59 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
At least he died like a man and not like an animal being executed. Our boys also got more practice exterminating that vile bunch of cowards. That's a good thing.
I agree.

He didn't die like an animal butchered before a camera by those sick pukes.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:09 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Well, I certainly agree with that.

One thing, though. None of those hostages were executed. They were murdered. Not surprisingly, NBC is quite fond of reporting them as "executions" while most others call them "beheadings."

Let's not lend credence to their barbarism by implying that it's comparable to capital punishment.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:20 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

One thing, though. None of those hostages were executed. They were murdered. Not surprisingly, NBC is quite fond of reporting them as "executions" while most others call them "beheadings."

Let's not lend credence to their barbarism by implying that it's comparable to capital punishment.
you are right, that one got by me.

we have so mushed our English vocabulary together that we lose sight of the real meaning and nuance of words.

My daughter drives me crazy with that. One word can mean a range of things to her

Old 12-06-2014, 11:19 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,334 times
Sad news. But focusing on "what went wrong" is ridiculous - there are always so many risks and variables in these situations that you can't expect a "happy ending" like in the movies every time.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:55 PM

815 posts, read 737,048 times
Agreed, better then sitting around, waiting for the inevitable. Very sad for the other hostage and his family, they had supposedly negotiated his release for tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:05 PM

807 posts, read 898,409 times
American, South African hostages die in rescue attempt in Yemen | Reuters

The WSJ article was behind a paywall and I couldn't read it.

New details saying that a group called "Gift of the Givers" had negotiated for the release of their hostage and that he was to be released the next day. The same group had secured the release of the wife of the South African hostage earlier this year. I don't think that the release applied to the American hostage, though.

Without knowing anything more about the situation, I suspect that the terrorists pulled off a somewhat thought-out trap. They may or may not have really intended to release the South African but certainly had their bases covered by keeping the American hostage near by as insurance, after giving hope that the other hostage was to be released.

Last edited by DriveNotCommute; 12-06-2014 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: WSJ unreadable

Old 12-06-2014, 02:18 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
It sounds cold, but we really should stop trying rescue people who go to these third and forth world dumps. The sad part is most of these people are educated, but ignore the risk.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:25 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Not surprisingly, you're trying to politicize this when, in fact, you're just demonstrating the fact that you don't understand what certain words mean.

Quote:
execute
[ek-si-kyoot]

verb (used with object), executed, executing.

1. to carry out; accomplish: to execute a plan or order.

2. to perform or do: to execute a maneuver; to execute a gymnastic feat.

3. to inflict capital punishment on; put to death according to law.

4. to murder; assassinate.

5. to produce in accordance with a plan or design: a painting executed by an unknown artist.

6. to perform or play (a piece of music).

7. Law. to give effect or force to (a law, decree, judicial sentence, etc.). to carry out the terms of (a will).
to transact or carry through (a contract, mortgage, etc.) in the manner prescribed by law; complete and give validity to (a legal instrument) by fulfilling the legal requirements, as by signing or sealing.
Execute | Define Execute at Dictionary.com

Maybe you've learned something from this... but I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events