Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:16 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times

Advertisements

I would be super excited to go to Cuba!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:43 PM

607 posts, read 761,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you have a lot of good pictures- looks recent- wonder if the "The Lost City" movie will play on Netflix etc It was pretty close to how things went.
I think I saw that a while back, not sure.....

I see that movie takes place around the time when Castro takes over...sounds exciting...

I still wonder how an island can worship what essentially just amounts to a cult of personality so
long...then again, you have Peronism in Argentina...perhaps it goes with the territory south of the border.

I am very very curious as to how this plays out, not just in Congress, but per corporations licking their
chops..I don't think the repubs want to get in the way of investors..if so, I believe this would be the
first time....

Word is major league baseball might want another team, out of Havana...I would imagine, Cuban players being so good, that a team full of Cubanos could win the World Series in a few years out of the box...

Old 12-19-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It is way past time we normalized relations with this country. I am tired of the Havana Cubans dictating US policy toward the island.

Note: AFAIK - the United Sugar property was seized for back taxes. Apparently the company never paid any taxes. They deserved to be seized.

I want a chance at their used car market.
I'm sure ..boy, I would really doubt, that any properties would or could be repatriated to corporations..

Also, United Fruit Company sent the marines into central america in the 40's to keep the company flush,
so we have pulled some shots in that general area as well.....we also had sleazy mob owned resorts as well.....I would bet the mob gets it's money back from the clubs before United Sugar gets a penny..

Old 12-19-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes! It will take a while but I think the cruise ship industry is waiting for some place interesting to go as an alternative to islands that have nothing much at all--except poverty and crime and fake tourist attractions. People are being warned now not to go to Nassau --if their ship docks there just stay on the ship.

A "real" country with a real city would be much more appealing to people, a true destination. It will be very popular.
I would imagine Havana is infinitely safer than Jamaica, Nassau, and the like.....even St. Thomas and the virgin islands have lots of crime. I spoke to the workers there once, on college break from the mainland, and they said they go directly to their dorms, and don't hang out anywhere there...

And you bet Havana is a real city.....has Hemingway haunts not seen by americans for years, much classier and nicer than Captain Tony's or Sloppy Joe's in slightly tacky, over touristed, and Jimmy Buffeted Key West........

Here are a few pics of the Hemingway bars in Habana..

And here is hemingway himself hanging out in one of them...

Trust me, the ones in Key West are skank, especially Captain Tony's, compared with this..the real deal.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:01 PM

170 posts, read 133,919 times
I have gone to St. Petersburg, Russia by cruise ship. Why is the Republican Congress continuing to prevent me from enjoying Cuba? Don't keep playing politics that if Obama is for it, you guys are against it. Ordinary Americans like me want to see Cuba. If you are pro-business then show it because Wall Street is ready to pounce.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Old 12-19-2014, 07:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
Sign me up! I would love to have a cruise stop in Cuba sooner rather than later.
Just remember--there's no air conditioning in Cuba.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
it already is...
Yep, well, so are most of the islands....what else do people do at those Sandals resorts?

They sure ain't reading poetry...lol...

moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 12-21-2014 at 02:11 AM..

Old 12-19-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just remember--there's no air conditioning in Cuba.
Oh, there WILL be shortly....trust me...I still hope they keep those great verandas intact though..

Some date from the 1700s.....too cool!

Cuba is essentially an open-air city anyway, and the weather is 70's-80's even in january..

That's why God invented flip-flops!..

Old 12-19-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post
I have gone to St. Petersburg, Russia by cruise ship. Why is the Republican Congress continuing to prevent me from enjoying Cuba? Don't keep playing politics that if Obama is for it, you guys are against it. Ordinary Americans like me want to see Cuba. If you are pro-business then show it because Wall Street is ready to pounce.
So many people want to see Cuba, that the tourism industry alone will toss so much dinero in the repubs pockets that they will soon cheer the decision...

Put enough money in a politician's pocket and he'll fall in love with any policy...trust me...

It's a done deal....Plus Pope Francis will ex-communicate Marco Rubio if he makes this difficult...

God bless the pope..I kiss his ring..

I love him..The coolest, most with it, and world changing Pope since John Paul II....

Thumbs up, Pope Francis..WAY up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events