Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:33 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

perhaps the only artist that covered a Beatles song and did it better than the original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=bRzKUVjHkGk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 11:34 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,420 times
So sad to hear that JC is now gone! We were supposed to see him in concert 4 years ago with Tom Petty and it got canceled and then rescheduled with ZZ Top instead Never did get a chance to see him sing live, I'll always regret that.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:59 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Joe Cocker was a true one off. I first saw him on the telly in 1968, singing 'With a Little Help From My Friends.' I sat, laughing at his twitching, and arm flailing as he sang. Then I listened to his interpretation of this song. He brought something to it beyond the Beatles original.

There was something tragic to this man, it came over loud and clear as he aged. He sang on, and I felt quite emotional watching him in later years. R.I.P.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:33 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times
Don't care. His generation was supposedly all about "counter-culture" then sold out and have been the biggest drain on resources in human history.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:51 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Makes me feel a little older every time a person from that period dies.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Don't care. His generation was supposedly all about "counter-culture" then sold out and have been the biggest drain on resources in human history.

You Hippies die hard, don't you ? (with your unkind words, what about "love". ....looks like you are the one who sold out.)

Back to the subject at hand, I felt really bad when I heard about his passing. What a great talent and, but all accounts, a really nice humble man. I just listened to a Public Radio interview the other day they did with Joe, and he came across as just the guy next door.

He had to have a good sense of humor too, to do those skits with Belusi making fun of him. LMAO and Joe seemed to be having fun with them too.

Rest in Peace, Joe, you are missed.

Don

Old 12-23-2014, 09:48 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I liked his music. He moved to a small town not far from me, and I had the opportunity to meet him. Down to Earth, nice guy.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:21 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Loved him. He wouldn't be heard these days, not good looking enough to be marketable. What a voice and what a talent Joe was! Amazing talent.

Amen.

RIP, Joe.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 AM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I liked his music. He moved to a small town not far from me, and I had the opportunity to meet him. Down to Earth, nice guy.
I live not far from jim9251. The first thing Joe did when he moved to Crawford, Colorado in 1993 was get involved in the community. He didn't want any publicity for it, in fact he relished the fact that he was just a "Joe" when he walked around town. In the meanwhile he got involved with charitable causes and the one cause he was REALLY behind was his own--The Joe Cocker "Cocker Kids" foundation. He raised well over a million dollars for kids of ALL backrounds! I never got to meet him but met his wife a few times, for years the Cocker's had a small restaurant/gift shop in the town of Crawford itself. A few years ago he sold off most of his music memorabilia with ALL proceeds going to the Cocker Kids Foundation.

There are a few people I have met who were close to him, including a couple business owners in the Grand Junction, Colorado area. One of the employees of Hart Music in GJ said it best when Joe would come in and shop >>>"If you couldn't get along with Joe Cocker, you couldn't get along with anybody."

I'd seen him in concert 3 times in 3 different decades. And and much as I bloviate at times on the music forum when I talk about artists regarding chart hit position, RIAA music awards, how many records sold, his classic appearance at Woodstock, etc, well, there was a lot more to him than that. Much more.

Just a Joe. But a Joe that made a difference, one of those kids he worked with lives down the street from me. There is a lot of people who thank him for what he's done for the community.

Thanks for all you've done Mr. Cocker!

Old 12-23-2014, 04:49 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,043,461 times
I wouldn't say i am a big fan of him, but he definately has some great songs that i like.
So sad to see him passing so early in life, i don't think 70 is old today, my father is 72 now and still in good shape and health.

RIP Joe and thank you for the good music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events