Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2014, 03:44 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,714,341 times

Advertisements

Washington state teen dies after taking punch from classmate

Quote:
An 18-year-old Washington state high school student died after agreeing to take a single punch to the face from a classmate to settle a dispute outside a weekend house party, local officials said on Tuesday.

The victim, identified as Jarom Thomas of Lake Stevens, about 35 miles north of Seattle, died on Sunday of blunt force injuries to the head, the Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office said on Tuesday. The manner of death was homicide, the medical examiner said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 04:05 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
And people argue that fists can't be a deadly weapon.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,043,147 times
Sadly this is all too common and always ruins two lives. When my son was in Jr. High a couple of his classmates decided to wrap a kid up in duct tape then one of them pushed the kid (not hard), he fell hitting his head causing a brain bleed. He was rushed to the hospital and almost died and has lasting damages to this day.
Kids (and many adults) just don't realize how fragile the human body can be and how easy it is to kill someone.
Sadly, many people will be suffering from now on over a stupid decision by two young people.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:22 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,564,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Sadly this is all too common and always ruins two lives. When my son was in Jr. High a couple of his classmates decided to wrap a kid up in duct tape then one of them pushed the kid (not hard), he fell hitting his head causing a brain bleed. He was rushed to the hospital and almost died and has lasting damages to this day.
Kids (and many adults) just don't realize how fragile the human body can be and how easy it is to kill someone.
Sadly, many people will be suffering from now on over a stupid decision by two young people.
Agreed. I'm sure that was not the intended outcome but I've seen it happen before and lives are ruined that should never have been.

Sad.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:31 AM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
I'd bet this happened in the school parking lot although it does not say.
If so, I'd also bet there are people wanting to hold the school responsible.

Quote:
According to the court documents, Thomas earlier on Sunday had backed his car into a parked vehicle where Galen was sitting, then drove away. He returned a short time later and the two young men got into an argument, the documents said.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:37 AM

50,931 posts, read 36,618,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'd bet this happened in the school parking lot although it does not say.
If so, I'd also bet there are people wanting to hold the school responsible.
It does say, in the first paragraph of the article.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:25 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,284,000 times
Recently Cracked.com had an article entitled "Four Things Nobody Tells You About Being Punched in the Face" or something along those lines (I'm at "work" so I cannot access that site). Author had a bone shattered and lived with a wired jaw for months. One punch.

My father (a physician) used to see the effect of the punch on the hand of the puncher. Severed things, hands that would never be the same, infections, etc.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,396,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And people argue that fists can't be a deadly weapon.
A punch with a closed fist, or butt of the palm of the hand, given to the nose at the right upward angle has the potential to kill almost instantly. A hard enough blow to the side of the forehead can also be lethal. I don't know if it still is applicable, but a professional boxers hands used to be considered deadly weapons (for legal purposes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events