Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:13 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Really? Why is it inappropriate?
Read my previous posts. Flight attendants are supposed accommodate everyone and saying something like "Happy Diwali" or "Happy Hanukkah" is just not doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:13 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Actually, NJBest is correct and you are wrong. Have you ever worked in the airline industry? This is a representation of a poorly trained flight attendant. It's also a representation of an unbalanced and potentially mentally ill passenger.

No one said the flight attendant was trying to pick a fight. They simply said a small mistake was made. Mistakes happen.
No, I have not. However, I presume you mean they were wrong because they did not follow their training to be as gentle and neutral with terminal SIVS sufferers as possible. Yeah, maybe they did fail to correctly placate the natives by using offensive terms. But really...**** them. It's amazing they made it to the plane without "getting offended".

Old 12-26-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It's inappropriate to think that everyone follows a particular celebration or way of life. If I came up to you and starting singing Allah is great and mighty I doubt you'd think it was appropriate, would you?
Yeah, I'd probably tell you to **** off because you would pretty obviously be looking for that response, and then go about my day. However, if you came up to me, an atheist, and politely said "Allah be with you", I would say "hey, thanks. You too." And move on.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:18 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
No, I have not. However, I presume you mean they were wrong because they did not follow their training to be as gentle and neutral with terminal SIVS patients as possible. Yeah, maybe they did fail to correctly placate the natives by using offensive terms. But really...**** them. It's amazing they made it to the plane without "getting offended".
It's not just that it's neutral with ill-mannered people, but it's actually neutral with everyone on the plane. No one should have the reaction that the passenger did. But no flight attendant should say something as silly as "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Diwali" or whatever randomly. It makes assumptions about the individual and is rude. A flight attendant is not in a position to be rude. There job is quite the opposite.

I assure you that there were more than that one passenger that got offended. But most sane people will move on... as they did. But that's not an excuse for the flight attendant to keep making the mistake over and over. They should always strive to improve and in this case, that means, correcting their behavior and not say something that can be offensive to people.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:18 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
If they had been playing that canned Christmas music you hear in the stores, then I could maybe understand the guy wigging out, but just freaking over a Merry Christmas greeting? Dude needs a chill pill.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It's inappropriate to think that everyone follows a particular celebration or way of life. If I came up to you and starting singing Allah is great and mighty I doubt you'd think it was appropriate, would you?
Dramatic, are ya?

It 'tis the season! There is excitement in the season!

Mr. Passenger doesn't realize the long hours in the flight industry, obviously and no one is suppose to celebrate the season. There is nothing wrong with saying "Merry Christmas" to make the season brighter for 10 days on with 4 days off, on a flight schedule.

The guy was scared. ( bottom line) He was more afraid of the flight than the "Merry Christmas".. stay tuned...

Old 12-26-2014, 08:20 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'd probably tell you to **** off because you would pretty obviously be looking for that response, and then go about my day. However, if you came up to me, an atheist, and politely said "Allah be with you", I would say "hey, thanks. You too." And move on.
Most people would, but few would take it to the level this guy did. He should have been asked to leave for acting in that manner.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's not just that it's neutral with ill-mannered people, but it's actually neutral with everyone on the plane. No one should have the reaction that the passenger did. But no flight attendant should say something as silly as "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Diwali" or whatever randomly. It makes assumptions about the individual and is rude. A flight attendant is not in a position to be rude. There job is quite the opposite.

I assure you that there were more than that one passenger that got offended. But most sane people will move on... as they did. But that's not an excuse for the flight attendant to keep making the mistake over and over. They should always strive to improve and in this case, that means, correcting their behavior and not say something that can be offensive to people.
Where did this event take place?
Where is this day a Federal Holiday and listed as what?

Well, then...

So let's study "offended"...obviously no insult was intended, and no harm could have resulted in a physical sense. So...what does it mean to "be offended" in this case? I think, if we are to delve into that, we will find a 2 year old "I want everyone to pander to me. Meeeee. Meeeee!!!!" mentality. And what happened? A tantrum. Sad really, and I don't pander much, so maybe I shouldn't work on an airline...and if you tell me that...that's ok. I won't be offended

Old 12-26-2014, 08:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'd probably tell you to **** off because you would pretty obviously be looking for that response, and then go about my day.
And that is probably the thought process this passenger had. Which is insane, frankly. Obviously, you suffer from

Quote:
a terminal case of modern day thinking of "I'm offended so I'm important."
and "it's no one's fault but... [your]... own and maybe... [your]... parents for raising an easily ruffled little *****.

But, hey, it's your words. And this is the reason why things like this happen. You and the passenger need some professional help.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
People who are unhappy and have miserable lives want everyone else to be as miserable as they are.
Pretty sad, really.
This pretty much sums it up. People can say Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah or whatever to me as long as the intention is good. That's all that should matter.

I say Merry Christmas most of the time because that's what I prefer, especially if I know the person I'm saying it to is Christian. If I know a person is Jewish, I say Happy Hanukkah. I'm not crazy about Happy Holidays but it's OK if somebody says it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events