Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:24 PM

703 posts, read 871,408 times

Advertisements

‘Tough little girl,’ 7, survives plane crash that killed her family, braves harsh terrain

Tragedy strikes as a 7-yr-old loses family members in a devastating aircraft failure. At this point, many of us want to feel badly, and I truly want to, but it's difficult when understanding the circumstances behind this case. We have a 7 year old who came back on a private plan that is worth $800,000+ from Florida. How many other kids her age even get to ride a passenger plane to Florida and take these lavish vacations over their New Year's break? Probably very, very few. It's possible her parents have large life insurance policies, and expensive estate that she will collect. I was talking to my friend about this and she said, "Miss Has-It-All had 1 adversity for once in her privileged life." I didn't think to be so volatile about the situation, but I understand where she came from, and why she would feel that way. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone living a high-class lifestyle. The way I think of it is, if you want to live the high-class lifestyle, then you accept the risks involved in living that kind of lifestyle. I come from an upper-middle class situation myself, and I honestly want to feel sympathy for this girl, but again, it's difficult when there are so many other factors of wealth involved.

Now, I would easily feel badly for a little middle class girl who lost both of her parents in an accident after getting in a wreck after getting on their way home from shopping in their 2007 Suburban, where she was relying on her parents' modest income that she's no longer going to be supported from. She probably won't get much from policies, and she has to grow up without her parents. She probably doesn't go on a lot of vacations. I think that's the type of little girl I would feel a lot of sympathy for.

Alright, I'm ready to get slammed, but I thought I would bring this up because it's a current event that I'm interested in.

It seems like then, if we hear a story about poor families struggling to the point where a murder happened over a financial situation, we think they deserve to go to hell for it, but we don't understand what kind of situation they were in, and how it was money that led to it, and without it, it likely would have never occurred because the stress would have been non-existent. Then, we feel sympathy for a situation like this.

I don't understand this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 12:40 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,388,784 times
So because the family was wealthy (according to you- no reference to that in the article), this child who lost her entire family in a horrific accident deserves no sympathy (?). I'm sorry, I don't agree with you at all. My criteria for feeling compassion for another human being isn't dependent on the size of their bank account. I can only hope this little girl has other loving family members to help her through this tragedy.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,145,152 times
OP, so your level of compassion is dependent on the balance sheets of the victims?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:45 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,344 times
So, because she is presumably wealthy, it's hard for you to be sympathetic to a 7 year old who lost her parents/family?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:54 PM

22,349 posts, read 29,465,198 times
This situation is horrible but I'm so glad she was brave enough to go seek health. She's going to have a tough future.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:56 PM

19,849 posts, read 12,119,711 times
Wow, OP, what a sick way of thinking. Your "friend" sounds like a piece of work, too. Bitter jealousy will eat her alive. This little girl lost her whole family and you two are jealous for her imagined wealth.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:41 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,968 times
Why even bring this up, you make it about class rather the fact this poor child has gone through a horrific experience and lost her family. You are way off base here. I don't know anyone that wouldn't have sympathy and compassion for this poor little girl, regardless of how much money her parents had. I listened to the scanner after this happened. The poor little kid wandered up to a house to tell them she had been in a plane crash. I feel very sorry for her, and money has nothing to do with it. This story is about a tragic plane crash, not rich versus poor. Your lack of compassion for this child disgusts me.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 14,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
]
I don't understand this world.
Yes, it's very evident that you don't.

Interesting to see such a compelling entry for "Worst CD Thread of the Year" so soon into 2015.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:34 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,760,041 times
Wow. OP you need a reality check.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:00 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,581,362 times
I felt horribly for this little girl when I first heard about this and I don't care in the least how much money her family had. This little girl saw her parents, older sister, and cousin die right before her eyes. It is my hope that her aunt and uncle, parents of her dead cousin, will take her in. In my view, this would be best because they both lost loved ones from their immediate family and know what each other is going through, and the little girl can fill some of the void of their lost child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events