Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 06:42 AM

165 posts, read 169,680 times

Advertisements

Husband injures wife, kills man, self in Florida mall
A man armed with "several pockets full of ammunition" opened fire at a Florida shopping mall on Saturday, injuring his wife and killing another man before fatally shooting himself, police said.
Raw: Deadly mall shooting in central Florida

"What`s the fuken wrong with this country?" one of my most popular questions...but nevertheless, what`s wrong with this country? Nothing to see here, yet another mass gun deaths in America. The NRA still says you should grab as many guns as you can get in your hands. If you feel a little scared, just use it as pacifier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:05 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Desperate people do desperate things- What I see is (1. we do not know how to cope- we are terrible at it, we recoup nicely, but to into the event- ziltch. (2. we are fed fear 24-7 someone is always going to get us, so we live in a state of alert- thank media for that- a couple of TV stations for sure. EXAMPLE:
channel 1--- heavy storms on the way expecting 2/3 inches of rain and wind gusts up to 35 MPH --
then there is:
X channel--- Severe storms and deathly lightning on-the way possibility of tornadoes forming... torrential rains with flash flooding. for some, that alone keeps them on the edge--
(3. drugs- we have our booze & heavy drugs but our prescribed OMG - I was given B-pressure meds- was NEVER so depressed in my life- thought was going bonkers, lost 30 lbs and threw that crap away.. back to my happy self-- what the heck was in those pills! What about the ones still taking all that mess??
Mind altering they are- better to give them weed and keep them all calm!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
On this very same day in America, approximately 185 firearms were used defensively to protect others from bodily injury or death.

Note: This is a conservative number put forward by the Violence Policy Center, the largest anti-gun organization in the country. Other estimates range as high as an average of 2,739 defensive firearms uses per day. See this Wiki entry for details.

Rather than using this news item to immediately jump to your anti-freedom agenda, one would think you might spare a little compassion for this obviously troubled man, his family, and others impacted by this event.

Dave

Old 01-19-2015, 07:28 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Husband injures wife, kills man, self in Florida mall
A man armed with "several pockets full of ammunition" opened fire at a Florida shopping mall on Saturday, injuring his wife and killing another man before fatally shooting himself, police said.
Raw: Deadly mall shooting in central Florida

"What`s the fuken wrong with this country?" one of my most popular questions...but nevertheless, what`s wrong with this country? Nothing to see here, yet another mass gun deaths in America. The NRA still says you should grab as many guns as you can get in your hands. If you feel a little scared, just use it as pacifier
Solution?

Removal of all personal firearms?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:32 AM

62 posts, read 83,582 times
We need a Gun
Wait ? 2 Guns
Wait ? 3 Guns
Wait ? 4 Guns
Wait ? 5 Guns.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................
Sorry! We need 6 "bajallion Guns!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
The NRA and the ghoul Wayne LaPiere is what's wrong with America. The mindset of fear here is what's wrong with America. The submission to religion and belief in invisable deitys is what's wrong with America. Never ending pursuit of profit is what's wrong with America. The fact that FAUX News didn't go out of buisness the day it first broadcast it's never ending tornados of terror and fear, is what's wrong with America. That a person like Glenn Beck is able to make a living is what's wrong with America. That Sara Palin still has true believers is what's wrong with America. Yet through all that satanic influence, we have a country that's worth believing in, working to improve, and defending. Yes, even loving it like one loves a misbehaving child...just don't let it step on a dogs spine as a step stool.
I think the biggest problem with the USA is the false "them" vs "us" divide. Too many people have bought into the false narrative, of left vs right, red state vs blue state, conservative vs liberal, tea party vs occupy wall streeters vs the establishment. So forth and so on, ad nauseum.

Almost all of it is drummed by limousine riding hucksters on the cable & broadcast news channels which so many people have bought into. There is no difference between Fox, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NbC, ETC. The do not report any real relevant news these days, they support the corporate controlled status quo without question, they give opinion AS news, and they parrot any politician without question, it's celebrity and sports figure gushing, and they report a very distorted view of the world in order to preserve access. Real investigative journalism and counterpoint disappeared long ago.

This is the biggest problem. Unfortunately your post demonstrates how thoroughly so many have bought into it.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I agree, WaldoKitty. This divide is exacerbated by identity politics and unlimited immigration without enough time for people to assimilate.

Our colleges have been promoting "us" versus "them" thinking for over fifty years and training the multitudes to filter solutions to all social problems through political rather than scientific methods.

I'll add that our general lifestyle is a stress-encouraging one and too few Americans know how to handle mounting stress in a constructive manner.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:17 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I think the biggest problem with the USA is the false "them" vs "us" divide. Too many people have bought into the false narrative, of left vs right, red state vs blue state, conservative vs liberal, tea party vs occupy wall streeters vs the establishment. So forth and so on, ad nauseum.

Almost all of it is drummed by limousine riding hucksters on the cable & broadcast news channels which so many people have bought into. There is no difference between Fox, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NbC, ETC. The do not report any real relevant news these days, they support the corporate controlled status quo without question, they give opinion AS news, and they parrot any politician without question, it's celebrity and sports figure gushing, and they report a very distorted view of the world in order to preserve access. Real investigative journalism and counterpoint disappeared long ago.

This is the biggest problem. Unfortunately your post demonstrates how thoroughly so many have bought into it.
You're dealing with a radical atheist who must polarize to even exist.

There are plenty of them out there just like there are bleeding-deacon Christian wannabes who capitalize on the weak-minded.

To prey on those of faith these days is a cheap trick. I say "Show me your faith, don't tell me".

We can argue doctrine all day long. The power of prayer and well-placed faith, not so much.

I for one am not going to miss one more radical atheist from this forum.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Perhaps part of "what's wrong with this country" is the overall emphasis on violence and turbulence. We should also be looking at what's right with this country. Folks get a massive dose of what's wrong, but when do we ever teach or show them what's right?

Old 01-19-2015, 12:23 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I think the biggest problem with the USA is the false "them" vs "us" divide. Too many people have bought into the false narrative, of left vs right, red state vs blue state, conservative vs liberal...
We have settled in to this us vs. them (and this two-party dominance) for the same reason that sports contests generally consist of one team or one player vs. another team or player (racing being an exception).

Imagine four team football. Most people don't want to. It's not the way it is and it's too hard to think about. Two teams, or us vs. them in all issues and decisions is so much easier. You're either with them or against them. Booyah.

Attached: four team football field. It would be complicated. Better to just stick with us vs. them, no?
Attached Thumbnails
America, what's wrong???-4-team-football-field.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events