Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 01:05 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times

Advertisements

The driver of the truck, an Irishman, brought the truckload over from Belgium. He has been charged with murder. The decedents are now thought to be Chinese:

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news...gbr/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 01:14 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 17 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Very Sad

Chinese Snakehead gangs linked to the Triads have done this before.

39 found dead in lorry 'were Chinese nationals' - BBC News

Snakehead (gang) - Wikipedia

58 Chinese were found dead in a Container at Dover in 2000.

Essex lorry deaths echo 2000 tragedy at Dover where 58 Chinese immigrants died - ITV News

Morecambe Bay cockling disaster's lasting impact - BBC News

Old 10-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
It seems the investigators have been very tight-lipped.

Who were these people, and why were they being smuggled in?

Old 10-24-2019, 07:04 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 17 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It seems the investigators have been very tight-lipped.

Who were these people, and why were they being smuggled in?
The police and national crime agency are focusing in on a south Armagh-based criminal gang with links to dissident Northern Ireland paramilitaries.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) probably have a good idea wgo is responsible and the police have already made some arrests in Northern Ireland.

Due to the international nature of organised crime it's likely this gang had a deal with a Chinese Snakehead gang.

In terms of what they do when they enter the UK, they usually work among the UK Chinese community, which largely comes from Hong Kong.

Restaurants and other Chinese businesses are sometimes raided by UK Border Force officers.

Detectives focus in on Irish gang after 39 migrants were frozen to death in lorry - The Telegraph

Warning over 'Snakehead' smuggling gangs as police try to identify 39 Chinese dead found in lorry - The Telegraph

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-24-2019 at 07:15 PM..

Old 10-24-2019, 08:43 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Americans do this, too. 19 aliens died locked in a truck in Texas
After 17 years, local residents still place bottles of water at a makeshift marker near the scene.

https://abc13.com/news/a-look-back-americas-deadliest-smuggling-incident/2203124/

Old 10-24-2019, 09:33 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Wasn't there another incident where a bunch of them died in a locked box car out in the desert about 30 years ago ?

Old 10-25-2019, 07:38 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
It's disgusting what humans to do each other

Old 10-25-2019, 07:43 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The police and national crime agency are focusing in on a south Armagh-based criminal gang with links to dissident Northern Ireland paramilitaries.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) probably have a good idea wgo is responsible and the police have already made some arrests in Northern Ireland.

Due to the international nature of organised crime it's likely this gang had a deal with a Chinese Snakehead gang.

In terms of what they do when they enter the UK, they usually work among the UK Chinese community, which largely comes from Hong Kong.

Restaurants and other Chinese businesses are sometimes raided by UK Border Force officers.

Detectives focus in on Irish gang after 39 migrants were frozen to death in lorry - The Telegraph

Warning over 'Snakehead' smuggling gangs as police try to identify 39 Chinese dead found in lorry - The Telegraph
So I guess the typical reason people are willing to endure incredible hardship and pay a lot of money to be smuggled into a different country - dreams of a better life. I wonder if there was an error somehow on the part of the driver who was supposed to turn the refrigeration off?

Old 10-25-2019, 09:37 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So I guess the typical reason people are willing to endure incredible hardship and pay a lot of money to be smuggled into a different country - dreams of a better life. I wonder if there was an error somehow on the part of the driver who was supposed to turn the refrigeration off?
Or a convenient way to eliminate witnesses.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:04 AM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Or a convenient way to eliminate witnesses.
I don’t think they were witnesses to anything, I think they were being smuggled in. But this often happens, where they take their money and bring them in fully intending to let them die after they get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events