Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 02:10 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Sheesh, creepy and scary, imagine waking up and finding someone slashing you.

University student charged with slashing sleeping roommate

Quote:
A university student stabbed his sleeping roommate in the throat, slashed his forehead and chased him to continue the attack when the victim broke free in their dormitory on a Northern California campus, prosecutors say.

Dillion Sang Kim, 19, then apparently cut himself before he was arrested; his mug shot showed a knife wound wrapping around his neck with stitches. His 19-year-old roommate remains hospitalized and is expected to recover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 06:17 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sheesh, creepy and scary, imagine waking up and finding someone slashing you.

University student charged with slashing sleeping roommate
Many East Asian kids go crazy due to the immense pressure from their parents to succeed academically etc. Asian cultures have the glory of accomplishments, but individuals pay a huge price for their success.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:20 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
That would be very scary waking up and being slashed. When you think about it kids are stuffed into dorms with really no idea who they are rooming with. I would be rather nervous sleeping next to someone I didn't know and someone from a foreign country to boot. I'm not saying that foreign people are bad just that they had a different upbringing and their thinking process might be different than others.
In this case I can understand what Pennyone wrote but I thought it was mostly an American thing that people get depressed/ angry then take it out on the innocent people around them.

Goes to show there are crazy people everywhere.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:28 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
There was a precedent to this some years back at Harvard. Although there was no indication that the two women were romantically involved, one roommate went batsh-t crazy upon finding out that the other would be sharing living space with somebody else the following semester. That time the victim didn't survive.

Oddly I've found no mention of what university the California incident occurred at. The linked article was datelined San Jose, but Santa Clara was brought up. At most state schools as well as many larger private institutions, roommate selection is done by the housing office if the student hasn't found someone themselves. When I went to UMass-Amherst (and I'm sure it still holds true today), a lot of high school "besties" roomed together. Part of the idea of random roommate assignments, in theory, is to enhance the academic experience by putting somebody from, say, Sri Lanka into a room with a person who's never traveled out of state. Housing offices are also infamous for taking chances and doling out rooms as though the vegetarian football player and the deer hunting Ultimate enthusiast will learn so much from each other. When the student body of a place is overwhelmingly drawn from a single geographic area, and the population is so large that entire halls and even dorms can be devoted to a specific interest group, the administration is just as glad for pairs of incoming first-years to take care of self-selecting who they live with. Point being, these two guys could very well have known each other before starting at whatever college.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:29 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
There was a precedent to this some years back at Harvard. Although there was no indication that the two women were romantically involved, one roommate went batsh-t crazy upon finding out that the other would be sharing living space with somebody else the following semester. That time the victim didn't survive.

Oddly I've found no mention of what university the California incident occurred at. The linked article was datelined San Jose, but Santa Clara was brought up. At most state schools as well as many larger private institutions, roommate selection is done by the housing office if the student hasn't found someone themselves. When I went to UMass-Amherst (and I'm sure it still holds true today), a lot of high school "besties" roomed together. Part of the idea of random roommate assignments, in theory, is to enhance the academic experience by putting somebody from, say, Sri Lanka into a room with a person who's never traveled out of state. Housing offices are also infamous for taking chances and doling out rooms as though the vegetarian football player and the deer hunting Ultimate enthusiast will learn so much from each other. When the student body of a place is overwhelmingly drawn from a single geographic area, and the population is so large that entire halls and even dorms can be devoted to a specific interest group, the administration is just as glad for pairs of incoming first-years to take care of self-selecting who they live with. Point being, these two guys could very well have known each other before starting at whatever college.
You assume a lot about the housing offices. It's generally completely random. For instance, at the institution I work at, there are TWO people dealing with first-year housing with a majority out-of-state population (i.e. not many friends coming to college together). If you think those people have enough time on their hands to go through every first-year application to pair roommates, you're crazy. :P There's a simple form you fill out indicating if you would prefer a single-sex or coed floor and if you are a night person or a morning person - and that's it. They generally try to avoid pairing two international students from the same country together for obvious reasons, but there was at least one room on my freshman year hall with two students from different countries.

Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. My first year roommate was a perfect match on paper, but even though we were raised in the same country with similar ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds, we couldn't have been more different. We barely made it through the year without killing each other - and her parents were even worse (and tended to come visit every few months and INSIST on sleeping on our floor - despite both of them being doctors and easily being able to afford a room rather than take up the entire free space of a tiny dorm room with an air mattress). She had a major elective surgery over winter break and really, the general dislike and tensions flared from there. It was horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events