Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:05 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,350,127 times

Advertisements

This is probably the most entertaining lawsuit I've ever seen LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:32 PM

17,659 posts, read 15,373,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
This is probably the most entertaining lawsuit I've ever seen LOL
I figure the lawsuit that caused the tube of Preparation H to carry the label "Do not take by mouth" would probably be better.. Or the one that started placing "Do not use in tub" labels on hairdryers..

Old 03-05-2015, 12:49 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,786,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I think it's still pretty funny! I feel bad that he got burned, but to trying to sue Applebees for that is completely absurd.
I don't place anything petty and stupid beyond people.

We, as a whole, are a society that will do anything for a quick buck.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
We live in a very litigious society these days.

"Somebody has to pay".

As an aside, one of the nurses that caught Ebola last spring is suing the hospital.
Ms.Pham is suing the hospital for gross negligence saying the hospital didn't do enough to prevent her from catching Ebola.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,414,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

"Somebody has to pay".

As an aside, one of the nurses that caught Ebola last spring is suing the hospital.
Ms.Pham is suing the hospital for gross negligence saying the hospital didn't do enough to prevent her from catching Ebola.
She may or may not have a case depending on the facts. But one thing is for sure, the fact that she contracted Ebola while on the job means that one or the other made mistakes. Either way, I wouldn't call her law suit frivolous. The trial, if it comes to that, could expose errors/bad procedures so that they can be corrected. I tend to think that the hospital may not have taken the Ebola situation seriously enough, and put it's health care workers at risk, through lack of preparation. But that's just my opinion based on reports of the suit filed.
But I do agree that we have way too many law suits in this country that have no merit, and I don't understand why many of them make it as far as they do.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,866,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

"Somebody has to pay".

Is this the one in Texas?

I read when it all went down that the hospital had a lot of issues going on, which became a factor in her getting Ebola. They had a culture of fear, and shady managers who basically made an environment of "do as I say or lose your job", which subordinates, under fear of being fired, thus having not only losing their income, but having a black mark on their record, complied almost mindlessly to orders out of this fear.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:50 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,786,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
She may or may not have a case depending on the facts. But one thing is for sure, the fact that she contracted Ebola while on the job means that one or the other made mistakes. Either way, I wouldn't call her law suit frivolous. The trial, if it comes to that, could expose errors/bad procedures so that they can be corrected. I tend to think that the hospital may not have taken the Ebola situation seriously enough, and put it's health care workers at risk, through lack of preparation. But that's just my opinion based on reports of the suit filed.
But I do agree that we have way too many law suits in this country that have no merit, and I don't understand why many of them make it as far as they do.
If the premise of her case is that the hospital somehow "failed" to protect her, then yes, her case is frivolous. No healthcare system or hospital-based policies are error-proof. None...as long as human beings are involved. And one could certainly argue that she failed to follow hospital protocol, and in turn, placed herself in direct harms way..

I am an ED physician, and have been so for 7 years. When I became a physician and entered the arena of healthcare, I did so with the understanding that, while I definitely did not want to place myself or my family in harm's way, I was willingly exposing myself to others with communicable diseases...whether they be blood, saliva, or respiratory-borne.. This is an inherent risk in the field.

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how this will all play out.

By the way, she may as well kiss any future job she hopes to obtain "Good bye!." She's suing the very system which has employed her, paid her, and under which she has irrevocably sworn to "selflessly" provide for the care of others. No healthcare system will want to hire someone who, in turn, sues them. She should start writing her memoirs now....

Old 03-05-2015, 02:37 PM

6,717 posts, read 5,965,558 times
How is it Applebee's fault? Shouldn't he have sued God?

Old 03-05-2015, 02:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,414,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
If the premise of her case is that the hospital somehow "failed" to protect her, then yes, her case is frivolous. No healthcare system or hospital-based policies are error-proof. None...as long as human beings are involved. And one could certainly argue that she failed to follow hospital protocol, and in turn, placed herself in direct harms way..

I am an ED physician, and have been so for 7 years. When I became a physician and entered the arena of healthcare, I did so with the understanding that, while I definitely did not want to place myself or my family in harm's way, I was willingly exposing myself to others with communicable diseases...whether they be blood, saliva, or respiratory-borne.. This is an inherent risk in the field.

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how this will all play out.

By the way, she may as well kiss any future job she hopes to obtain "Good bye!." She's suing the very system which has employed her, paid her, and under which she has irrevocably sworn to "selflessly" provide for the care of others. No healthcare system will want to hire someone who, in turn, sues them. She should start writing her memoirs now....
I'm assuming that she's claiming she didn't have adequate protective gear, and was expected/ordered to 'go in and treat the patient anyway'. If that's what her argument is, then the hospital (her employer) would have some responsibility, and the law suit not frivolous at all.

But you're right, she better hope she wins. Her nursing career is pretty much over.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I'm assuming that she's claiming she didn't have adequate protective gear, and was expected/ordered to 'go in and treat the patient anyway'. If that's what her argument is, then the hospital (her employer) would have some responsibility, and the law suit not frivolous at all.

But you're right, she better hope she wins. Her nursing career is pretty much over.
At the ripeold age of 26 to boot. Even if she wins she'll be known as someone who sues if anything happens to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events