Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 AM

165 posts, read 169,803 times

Advertisements

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest confirmed Monday that President Obama is "very interested" in the idea of raising taxes through unitlateral executive action.
Obama "Very Interested" In Raising Taxes Through Executive Action - Conn Carroll

Obama want to raise taxes. Through the executive action.
Sanders has been on this meme for quite a while, Obama as well, years in the makeing.
Sanders to Obama: Don’t Wait for Congress on Tax Overhauls

I guess Obama's feeling pretty untouchable at this point. But does Obama have the authority to raise taxes without consulting Congress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:13 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
Not surprised. Congress is supposed to tax and fund. President is supposed to do policy administer manage and lead. But practically speaking IRS can do whatever it wants to do.

will be sad if this intent is true.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:22 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
All I can say is that the democrats better be VERY certain that there won't be another republican president for a long time to come because they are setting some dangerous precedents that they are not going to want their opposition to have in their arsenal.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:43 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Obama's Amnesty for Illegal Aliens has been declared unconstitutional by the lower courts and is currently on hold until the SC can decide. Same will happen with this too.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
All I can say is that the democrats better be VERY certain that there won't be another republican president for a long time to come because they are setting some dangerous precedents that they are not going to want their opposition to have in their arsenal.
I agree that the president's actions and the tenor of his rhetoric are telling about the state of the GOP. And while I don't support it, I can't say anything but that it is the GOP's fault that their strength at the executive level has waned. They are trying, much like Democrats have in the past, to be all things to all their constituents, however they end up driving away big chunks of their voters from the polls by their slavish attention to the traditional blocs of neo-cons and religious voters.

So not only does this mean the GOP will likely put up a milquetoast, out of touch candidate in the next presidential election, it means the Democrats can put up, with confindence, their own inferior, out of touch candidate and win based on little more than momentum.

The GOP needs a candidate out of their own mainstream enough to break off and disrupt the Democrats's momentum. I just don't see Jeb, Walker, Christie, or certainly Huckabee, as anything but a bunch of guys comfortably 'racing their own race' to win over Republican's but with no plan to win an election on the greater stage.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Not surprised. Congress is supposed to tax and fund. President is supposed to do policy administer manage and lead. But practically speaking IRS can do whatever it wants to do.

will be sad if this intent is true.
Wrong....IRS cannot do what it wants. They can only carry out the laws which are in place, and IRS doesn't make the law.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:53 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
Obama must go....he's bad for America. 2016 can't get here fast enough.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:25 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
IRS can garnish wages and take you to tax court with no due process. that is what I was talking about. and honestly it is how the law is interpreted and implemented that is the current problem under discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 03:49 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
An ironic "interest" coming from a former Constitutional Law Professor...

Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,099,223 times
This guy is a such a spendthrift. Who keeps voting for this joker? Really pisses me off. I mean what the bleep? This man claimed open and honest transparency. He is full of lies. He just wants to spend, spend, spend. Newsflash Mr. President, you can't spend your way out of bad spending habits. You can't spend your way out of the crisis you got us in. So fed up with this guy and his uselessness. He is a total phoney and I am shocked, disgusted, and dismayed that HOPE won an election. Soon we will all be working minimum wage jobs and part-time, no less. Plus we will all be dependent on Obamacare. Can't wait, sign up me up. (Insert sarcasm!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events