Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,442,898 times

Advertisements

The argument itself is foolish. Does anyone really want an unarmed police force in America?
If so, why stop there? Why not take the guns and granades away from our military. Remove the torpedoes from our battleships. Stop training our soldiers and sailors to kill. Send them to diversity training instead.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,394,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The argument itself is foolish. Does anyone really want an unarmed police force in America?
If so, why stop there? Why not take the guns and granades away from our military. Remove the torpedoes from our battleships. Stop training our soldiers and sailors to kill. Send them to diversity training instead.
As bizarre as that sounds, sadly I think there are people in our society that want that

Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,482,542 times
Robinson was convicted of armed robbery in a home invasion last year and JUST began serving probation in December ... and yet his mother claims "My son has never been a violent person, never."

Absurd. Just utterly absurd to see this kind of denial so prevalent among parents of young convicted felons.

Additionally, he managed to father a child before he turned 18 years old. He was not a child.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,898,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Good ideas all. Why not, indeed. A country with a nuclear arsenal the size of ours does not need to send its young men and women to die or be grieviously injured by the thousands. It is a criminal waste of human potential. Better sex education, better birth control methods and the dismantlement of the Military Industiral Complex.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,898,850 times
And to the topic. I see a lot of the usual braying of the standard talking point. However, at this point, and in MOST of the situations in which unarmed black men lose their lives, the only credible account of what happened is the officers.... Don't struggle with law enforcement... we don't know that he did. I was accosted one night by maybe police officers, maybe not, I struggled. I was ordered not to, but I was shown no proof that the officers taking my bicycle off me were in fact duly sworn and legally empowered to do so. The only salient point in ANY of the numerous narratives before the public is that the deceased mean were unarmed. That's huge. That is why there is controversy. Sweep that away with flippant hyperbole if you can. See how well that works? Not. At minimum white men are 3X more likely than black men to be involved in what are called "criminal activities" in our society. For every unarmed black man being shot by police there should be three white ones. Does that set the matter squarely where it rests? Does that explain the upset in the black community? Yah, yah, yah black men should not... neither should white men. You will have a point when ALL white men stop wearing their pants low and marry their baby's mothers. All of them. Every single one. No white misconduct whatsoever. Remove the log from your own eyes and then you will be on sounder moral high ground to point out the mote in the eye of the black community.

H

Old 03-09-2015, 11:23 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,387,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
And to the topic. I see a lot of the usual braying of the standard talking point. However, at this point, and in MOST of the situations in which unarmed black men lose their lives, the only credible account of what happened is the officers.... Don't struggle with law enforcement... we don't know that he did. I was accosted one night by maybe police officers, maybe not, I struggled. I was ordered not to, but I was shown no proof that the officers taking my bicycle off me were in fact duly sworn and legally empowered to do so. The only salient point in ANY of the numerous narratives before the public is that the deceased mean were unarmed. That's huge. That is why there is controversy. Sweep that away with flippant hyperbole if you can. See how well that works? Not. At minimum white men are 3X more likely than black men to be involved in what are called "criminal activities" in our society. For every unarmed black man being shot by police there should be three white ones. Does that set the matter squarely where it rests? Does that explain the upset in the black community? Yah, yah, yah black men should not... neither should white men. You will have a point when ALL white men stop wearing their pants low and marry their baby's mothers. All of them. Every single one. No white misconduct whatsoever. Remove the log from your own eyes and then you will be on sounder moral high ground to point out the mote in the eye of the black community.

H
Where did you get these statistics from? It seems to go against every single statistic I've ever read.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,493,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
.... Sweep that away with flippant hyperbole if you can. See how well that works? Not. At minimum white men are 3X more likely than black men to be involved in what are called "criminal activities" in our society. For every unarmed black man being shot by police there should be three white ones. Does that set the matter squarely where it rests? ....
No you committed a logical fallacy. Your logic fails on these points.
  • You equate criminal activities with violent crime. They are not the same. We are only discussing violent crime here.
  • "more likely" isn't a statistic, data, or fact. It's an opinion.
  • You haven't established that the violent crime rate between White men = Black men. Thus your statement that 3X more Whites should be shot by police is also incorrect.
  • Thus your conclusion that unarmed Black men are being shot by cops solely because they are Black, isn't warranted or proved.
So if you are asking if what you said is logically correct i.e. "matter squarely". No. It fails the test.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:42 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,756,726 times
Technically, Robinson was biracial. His mother is white.

Nonetheless, I predict she will receive a settlement within a couple of years.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,409,441 times
2014 Madison Police incident report:

Incident - Incident Reports - News & Data - Madison Police Department - City of Madison, Wisconsin

Old 03-09-2015, 01:32 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,482,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Robinson was no sweet boy with a wonderful bright future ahead of him no matter how many fresh-faced and smiley pictures of him that the media tosses out there. He was already a convicted felon on probation who had fathered a child at 17 and had to be hauled into paternity court in order to even admit it. His FB and Twitter pages were laced with comments such as "Real n***a from the start till the casket shut". But the media will still call him an "unarmed black teen" and his mama will still call him a "nice boy" and fools without any critical thinking will eat it all up because it fits their desired narrative.

Meanwhile, actual acts of prejudice and racism will sadly continue to occur every day yet be overshadowed by this grandstanding crap. Countdown 3-2-1 til the moron twins Jackson and Sharpton roll into Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events