Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
stop whining, we fast forwarded an hour closer to spring.

I actually had to work on Sunday morning and I survived.

people love to complain about the stupidest crap.
It seems the biggest complaint from people is that the lost of 1 hour is something that they will never recover from until we set our clocks back to Standard Time. DST is an easy scapegoat for the lack of sleep that person is getting. Solution: Try to find some restful sleep!

I love DST. I know it is just a mind thing but when we move our clock an hour ahead, I know Spring is just around the corner. And today in Minnesota, it sure felt like Spring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:06 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
They don't read like jokes.
Jokes need smiley faces.

But I refuse to use them.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
The "correct" time should have the sun overhead at its highest point at around noon.

DST is a deliberate adjustment to skew the reported time on the clocks such that there would be an extra hour of light in the evenings. Obviously, opinions on this strategy vary.

I think that we shouldn't mess with the clocks. The businesses that need or want to adjust can simply go ahead and change their own schedules so that not everyone is dragged into changing times. There are regions that don't do DST and out of the rest who do, not everyone (ie. internationally) adjusts DST on the same day.
I would favor centering DST on the equinox, so it would start a few weeks earlier and "standard" time would start a few weeks earlier in the fall. Perhaps both to start and end four (4) weeks before the equinox. Third Sunday in October to last Sunday in February, perhaps.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:01 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
I prefer to think of it as 1 less hour on C-D

Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 PM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
The most fun times of the year for me, at work!

Chalked up 3 at work the other night! All done with a deadly serous look to my face:

"You heard it wrong!!! Spring backwards, fall forward! You'll get an extra hour's sleep tonite!"

Old 03-10-2015, 01:28 AM

642 posts, read 1,113,470 times
I just wish they would keep summer hours all year. More people are awake between 6-7PM than 6-7AM.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:48 AM

807 posts, read 897,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I would favor centering DST on the equinox, so it would start a few weeks earlier and "standard" time would start a few weeks earlier in the fall. Perhaps both to start and end four (4) weeks before the equinox. Third Sunday in October to last Sunday in February, perhaps.
If we must alter the clocks then I agree that basing the adjustment dates on some fixed intervals from the equinoxes makes good sense.

Overall though, I would still greatly prefer not having to adjust clocks at all. Standard time keeps the sun roughly overhead at noon well enough for me. Office workers who appreciate the extra hour in the evenings should be given work hours that lets them out sooner, year round if they want it. This would also be a great new way for figuring out whether or not a company hates its employees.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:59 AM

15,527 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Just say no to DST.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:10 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A sure sign that spring's on the horizon: One hour less shut-eye tonight no matter when you turn out the lights. Most people in the US are supposed to push the clock forward by 60 minutes before heading to bed.

You Lose an Hour of Sleep Tonight
This needs to END! Seriously, how hard is it for you to type a few words to your representative?
Ohh, Daylight “Savings” Time Again….. |

Old 03-10-2015, 05:05 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't lose an hour of sleep. That's why they have the "spring forward" time set on a Sunday; so people can sleep as long as they need to. I lost an hour out of my day, that's what I lost. But I still slept the same amt. of time as always.
You are aware that some people with
work on Sundays aren't you ?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events