Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:29 PM

53 posts, read 66,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Tell it to NYC. They have more guns on the streets, and more gun crimes than I would think anywhere, yet most citizens dont own guns.

Reality is making anything illegal makes it very attractive for people to have, and NYC is glaring example of how gun control epicly fails here.

13K innocent lives, eh? Aside from questioning the vaildity of that number and description - The population of NYC is around 8.41 million, so even if all those innocent lives were taken in NYC, its still a very small percentage of America's population.

Maybe we need car control instead. Seems to me cars kill a lot more people than guns do.
So should we make all drugs legal as well so it won't be "very attractive" anymore? NYC has a policing problem and always has. Pretty much everyone is aware of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 02:33 PM

5,776 posts, read 5,077,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Here you go.

"But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally.

Almost no one in Japan owns a gun. Most kinds are illegal, with onerous restrictions on buying and maintaining the few that are allowed. Even the country's infamous, mafia-like Yakuza tend to forgo guns; the few exceptions tend to become big national news stories."

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths - The Atlantic
Yes, but Japan and much of East Asia in general have a very different cultural mindset and history. They also do not have the complicated history with slavery and massive immigration from all over the world.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,365,976 times
Quote:
There is no anti-gun control spin here. This is just another gun FAIL.

With several customers in the store who could have been hit by stray bullets, she fired multiple shots at him. Ultimately she physically overpowered him to stop the robbery. Her getting hold of the gun was of no use in stopping the robbery. Though its lucky that she was able to disarm him.

If gun control had been in effect, the robber would not have had a gun, and she would have still been able to stop the robbery the same way she did. But without shooting-up the store, and putting the lives of innocent customers and bystanders in jeopardy.

And don't give me the BS that the bad guys would still have guns. Some weapons are controlled in this country, and the bad guys don't have those. And in other countries where handguns are controlled, the bad guys don't have them there, except maybe in border areas where the guns are smuggled in from the US.

To make it even worse, the robber in the video was known to the clerk, so he wasn't going to get away with it anyway.
There were other customers in the store? In the video it didn't appear that way. Is there another video? An it looks like she shot him at close range so there wouldn't have been stray bullets. Also, if he laid the gun on the counter, she didn't exactly disarm him. She picked it up. I don't like the idea of a gun being involved but I would trust her with it more than him.

In any case, I applaud her for her bravery and am glad she is okay. I agree with her statement about fighting back. The guy was an absolute idiot for laying the gun down. Obviously he underestimated her.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:46 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,444,617 times
Armed robbery is a dangerous profession.

Gunshot wounds are an occupational hazard.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:16 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,010,262 times
Quote:
Here you go.

"But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally.

Almost no one in Japan owns a gun. Most kinds are illegal, with onerous restrictions on buying and maintaining the few that are allowed. Even the country's infamous, mafia-like Yakuza tend to forgo guns; the few exceptions tend to become big national news stories."

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths - The Atlantic
As someone that was born in Japan you are completely wrong about almost no one owning a gun. Rifles and shotguns are legal but handguns are only legal to sports shooters in Japan. Firearm-related homicides is low in Japan because of the culture. There are well over 750,000 privately owned firearms in Japan. Japan just has very strict laws on what you have to go through to own a gun.

Last edited by Devon011; 03-08-2015 at 03:27 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 03:43 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,993,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There were other customers in the store? In the video it didn't appear that way. Is there another video?
I count two robbers and three customers. They were obviously all running for their lives when the shooting started. Very reckless IMHO.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:02 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,993,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSmurf View Post
As someone that was born in Japan you are completely wrong about almost no one owning a gun. Rifles and shotguns are legal but handguns are only legal to sports shooters in Japan. Firearm-related homicides is low in Japan because of the culture. There are well over 750,000 privately owned firearms in Japan. Japan just has very strict laws on what you have to go through to own a gun.
Yeah, it must be the culture. The fact that even the Japanese police don't have guns, couldn't have anything to do with it. You are totally brainwashed by the gun rights advocates.

I also lived in Japan. I saw plenty of Yakuza gangsters all over Japan, but none of them had guns.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,182,766 times
Quote:
I count two robbers and three customers. They were obviously all running for their lives when the shooting started. Very reckless IMHO.
You love dead heroes. You like police officers and ordinary people to get shot first and only then defend themselves. If I am looking down the barrel of a gun I worry about MYSELF first. Others can duck. I just like to know what caliber gun it was because it obviously wan’t enough.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:12 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,848,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
You could spin this incident as being either pro or anti gun control.
Maybe it's neither. Maybe it's about not assuming women are wusses and can't defend themselves.

She had a huge stake in it. She wasn't just a hired hand, it was her family's business.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:25 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,010,262 times
Quote:
Yeah, it must be the culture. The fact that even the Japanese police don't have guns, couldn't have anything to do with it. You are totally brainwashed by the gun rights advocates.

I also lived in Japan. I saw plenty of Yakuza gangsters all over Japan, but none of them had guns.
Seeing as I am the native I can tell you the culture is a major reason. Just because Yakuza gangsters don't carry said gun around in their hands doesn't mean they don't have one. I just find it funny how you claimed to have lived in Japan yet make a incorrect post saying almost no one has a gun in Japan and also claimed the police don't carry guns. I also don't listen to gun right advocates as I don't have a need. Tell me again how Japanese police don't have guns when they clearly do in the picture with a lanyard attached. Just admit you didn't pay any attention as they keep it completely covered and make it less obvious they have one so they don't look intimidating due to culture.

Last edited by Devon011; 03-08-2015 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events