Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Oh please, these people aren't debating. They're pouting and crying. Debate requires actual arguments.

You ask me to posts videos of innocent people being killed. I post videos. Can you post countless videos on these forums? No. Do I have time to work for you, posting countless videos, while I'm at work and have stuff to do. Hell no.
Actually, no one was killed in half your videos. The guy in the first video got a several hundred thousand dollar settlement. The cop who shot him was fired, arrested and charged with a felony and is facing 20 years in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:32 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Actually, no one was killed in half your videos. The guy in the first video got a several hundred thousand dollar settlement. The cop who shot him was fired, arrested and charged with a felony and is facing 20 years in prison.
Your correct. And your point??

Do your own research on the topic. Let me take a wild guess and assume that your spanking brand new to this issue.

How long have you been researching it?

Old 03-10-2015, 12:59 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Ugh, not this again. You know what else is more likely to kill you than terrorists?

Heart disease - 35,079 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Cancer - 33,842 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Obesity - Anywhere from 5,000 to 23,000 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Medical error - At least 5,000 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Alcohol poisoning - 4,706 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Car accident - 1,904 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Risky sexual behavior - 452 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Suicide - You're 2,059 times more likely to kill yourself than terrorists.
Falls - 353 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Texting while driving - 353 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
You're even 157 times more likely to starve to death in the US than be killed by a terrorist.

All of these are obviously many tens, hundreds, thousands of times more likely than to be killed by police.

Not only that, but the study the article talks about includes ANY DEATH WHILE IN POLICE CUSTODY. Not just those shot and killed by police but those that day by accident, natural causes, suicide, alcohol poisoning, etc. It doesn't mean police killed them. It means they died by any means at all while in police custody.

So yes, I think terrorist and police killings are probably our biggest concern.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/...terrorist.html

Last edited by ischyros; 03-10-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 01:15 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I could post COUNTLESS examples of people being killed by officers who were doing nothing wrong.

Someone sleeping in their house thinking their being robbed, traffic stop gone wrong (officer panicked), Police shooting a homeowner on their own problem after the cops were called, etc, etc.

Are Police killings and corruption a real issue? Yes.

I don't care what argument you give me. You can't build an argument to excuse the raw numbers and percentage of our population in prison. You can't excuse the injustices in our justice system. And you can't excuse the actions of officers who either make mistakes, act maliciously, panic, whatever the case.

If doctors were killing people, by mistake or on purpose, there would be an outcry. Pretty much any other profession. I understand that Police work is dangerous, but in many cases, these killings could have been prevented.
Actually, doctors are killing people by mistake. As I posted previously, depending on what statistic you believe, either Lancet, Scientific American, or the Journal of Patient Safety, you are more than 5,000 times more likely to be killed by medical error than a terrorist, and that's on the low end. Even if we are to believe these more inflated statistics of 928 deaths by police per year, you're still over 100 times more likely to die from a medical error than a police office. So, time to start that outcry!

Old 03-10-2015, 03:20 PM

520 posts, read 775,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Ugh, not this again. You know what else is more likely to kill you than terrorists?

Heart disease - 35,079 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Cancer - 33,842 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Obesity - Anywhere from 5,000 to 23,000 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Medical error - At least 5,000 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Alcohol poisoning - 4,706 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Car accident - 1,904 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Risky sexual behavior - 452 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Suicide - You're 2,059 times more likely to kill yourself than terrorists.
Falls - 353 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
Texting while driving - 353 times more likely to kill you than terrorists.
You're even 157 times more likely to starve to death in the US than be killed by a terrorist.

All of these are obviously many tens, hundreds, thousands of times more likely than to be killed by police.

Not only that, but the study the article talks about includes ANY DEATH WHILE IN POLICE CUSTODY. Not just those shot and killed by police but those that day by accident, natural causes, suicide, alcohol poisoning, etc. It doesn't mean police killed them. It means they died by any means at all while in police custody.

So yes, I think terrorist and police killings are probably our biggest concern.

You
...And in the mid 1930's, a Jew in Europe was 100 times more likely to be killed by a meteorite than by a German.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:24 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
A US citizen is 58 times more likely to mouth off to a police officer than a terrorist.

A US citizen is 58 times more likely to ignore the orders of a police officer than a terrorist.

A US citizen is INFINITELY more likely to call a police officer when in trouble than a terrorist.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:55 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
A U.S. Citizen is 58 Times More Likely to be Killed by a Police Officer than a Terrorist | The Free Thought Project

And what do you think guys? Are you feel yourself in safety while "innocent" cop who killed few black guys is still on duty?
Yep. I sleep really well at night because I'm not out committing armed robbery, acting like a thug, and disobeying lawful orders. I feel very safe while innocent cops patrol my streets and place their lives on the line with armed and dangerous criminals threatening to kill them. And it is a safety I do not take lightly.

Thank you to all the police officers that willingly go out every day and deal with idiots and criminals.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:33 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
A U.S. Citizen is 58 Times More Likely to be Killed by a Police Officer than a Terrorist | The Free Thought Project
Most people have seen the number floating around social media that suggests that citizens are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist, but new data revisions suggest this number was dramatically underestimated.

The lack of accurate official records being kept in the important category of individuals killed by police was met with numerous efforts by citizens. One example, in particular, is Killed By Police - 2015. This site is used to more accurately track the number of people killed by cops yearly.

And what do you think guys? Are you feel yourself in safety while "innocent" cop who killed few black guys is still on duty?
What do you think about possibility of terrorist act and do you think that U.S. Citizen is 58 Times More Likely to be Killed by a Police Officer than a Terrorist?

Well, duh... there are a lot more American citizens than there are terrorists.

What genius came to this conclusion?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:39 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Well, duh... there are a lot more American citizens than there are terrorists.

What genius came to this conclusion?
The product of a city whose public schools have to keep getting accreditation waivers.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:42 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
The irony is that once upon a time we had a poster that started threads anytime some black gang banger shot up a bunch of people.

It was deemed racist to constantly harp over the behavior of the worst members of a group.

.....now we have thread after thread about white cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events