Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,985 times

Advertisements

Future rapist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Question: Would you feel the same if a woman did the same? Hell I doubt a woman putting her hand down a guys pants and messing with his balls would get her a felony.
Sorry, I deleted the post you quoted because I wanted to be more accurate by using the quote in my revised post and then my ancient computer crashed before I could fix it. Now that I'm up and running again I will answer your question.

The answer is an absolute "Yes" I would feel the same way about a woman doing something like this. Without hesitation. I don't know why you would think otherwise. Anyone intruding uninvited on anyone else's body is wrong. It doesn't matter if it's a man to woman or woman to man. Maybe you see a difference but I don't.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Doesn't this seem needlessly severe? Granted, he deserved a punishment, likely a misdemeanor, but the felony ensures he will become a hardened criminal.

Slap to woman's butt nets felony for Kingsport teen | Kingsport Times-News
If it were a casual thing that was "innocent" in it's immaturity, done on the spur of the moment, I would say this is too harsh a response - that he should get a "talking to" as long as the nurse is not pressing.

But since this kid "stalked" the woman, slapped her, and then ran away, I'd say he should be officially counseled.

I am not sure though how you can order counseling without a court trial and unfortunately that requires an arrest(?). So, if the woman demands that charges be pressed, I would rather see this entered as a misdemeanor and wiped from his record provided he stay clean for the next x years until he is an adult.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:45 AM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
I'd need to know what the "previous contact" was to say.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:54 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Would it be a felony charge if he slapped her face or arm?

I don't agree with the felony charge, but people wouldn't be facing these problems if they kept their hands to themselves.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:56 AM

17,162 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Would it be a felony charge if he slapped her face or arm?

I don't agree with the felony charge, but people wouldn't be facing these problems if they kept their hands to themselves.
Actually, it can be considered aggravated battery... Which is a bit of overkill too.
I almost got arrested for aggravated battery just for pushing a guy I was having a dispute with some years ago.

Like you said, best to just keep your hands to yourself.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:09 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Yea this is way to severe. I support punishing the young man, he should spend some time in jail and maybe be ordered to do some kind of community service. However labeling him a felon and a sex offender will make it impossible for him to earn a living. I 30 years he will be underemployed, impoverished or back in prison. What people fail to take into consideration here is what the true cost to society is for cases like this. This individual will not find decent employment, and the state will pay for welfare and health benefits for him, likely for life. This may not be all, as this person is likely to be very bitter about this incident, feeling that the punishment was way to severe. This could lead him to commit more crimes, or do harm to society in other ways. If he becomes a thief, or even violent what then is the cost to society?? Were talking about hundreds of thousands of tax dollars in welfare benefits and incarceration costs over the lifetime of this young man. If he learns to steal or commit fraud to compensate for his lack of earning power that cost goes up, as he could get hundreds of thousands more from his victims. I am not saying this will happen with him, but the odds are he will end up costing society something because of this label stuck to him. This could be one expensive slap on the butt for the tax payer.

Our society needs to rethink punishment. Minor offenders (drug users, shoplifters, drunk drivers etc.) should be punished harshly through being put in jail, work farms and community service. When they get out they do and should be put on probation. Once it is clear they have learned their lesson and paid for their crime then they should be done with it. A 50 year old should not be unemployable because he got caught urinating behind a bar at 21, nor should a 25 year old drunk driver never recover from his offense. There should be a way for minor offenders to clear their record. Felony labels are for dangerous or unreformable people. I am talking about those who hurt people, kill them, are career thieves, drug dealers. In fact most people like this should remain in prison, we let too many of them out. The idea that child molesters are released just drives me nuts. Same for rapists. We can be far to lenient with these dangerous criminals but yet we are quick to ruin the life of a young man for slapping a womans hind quarter. He needs to be punished for sure, but ruin his life??? Same goes for all these kids who have records for drinking offenses, do people realize this will really hurt them in the future??? Our system needs to be reformed, we need harsher punishment for serious offenders, and a more temporary corrective punishment for these minor offenders.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Likely he will get a minimum sentence or reduced on first felony offense and it sounds like he has gotten away with things as a juvenile. Lots of 18 years olds end up like this from dealing with juvenile law then having s a sudden surprise finding they are going to adult court. As is said adults usual work there way up the offense latter to prison ;not just a single act unless serious and even then likely just first time caught if that. The punishment within laws allow for difference.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Sometimes I wish we could handle things sort of unofficially from time to time, and just take someone "out back" and give him a bit of a butt whuppin and then let him go about his business, somewhat bruised and with the lesson learned.
Remember the Singapore caning episode which even brought President Clinton into action?

Old 03-10-2015, 12:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Sometimes I wish we could handle things sort of unofficially from time to time, and just take someone "out back" and give him a bit of a butt whuppin and then let him go about his business, somewhat bruised and with the lesson learned.
No, that wouldn't be a "lesson learned." There is nothing in this kind of punishment that would teach him any kind of lesson. He would just continue to do the same until it got to the point where he really hurt her. Look at what's happened so far. He's been stalking her already. Then it escalated to slapping her an running away. So what's next? Are you so naive that you think someone taking him "out back" and giving him some of the same would deter him from taking the next step against her?

That's not how predators work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events