Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 04:49 PM

294 posts, read 371,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
While I agree that everyone should have access to necessary and appropriate dental care, that's not usually the case. I don't think the benefactor is a moron. He learned early in life that people are judged by the quality of their pearly whites.

I could have owned a vacation home and a few hot cars if I hadn't been born with bad teeth. I wish that someone would give me $25,000 for dental work.

My son managed to shear off a canine. I will be paying for the implant. He can't afford it. I'm surprised his employer hasn't fired him because he's missing a tooth. That means that I have to defer a couple of dental surgeries and some other work which needs to be done.
Yes, since everyone else out there with "good" teeth have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 PM

32,804 posts, read 36,064,857 times
No, just saying how much money I've spent trying to save my teeth.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:03 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,733,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954
PAGE NOT FOUND

The page you requested was not found. You may have followed an old link or typed the address incorrectly.
It loaded for me OK......

The waitress was blessed.... This guy had the $$$$ to give and had no quams giving it

Old 03-12-2015, 12:41 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,021,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Specifically, what's not workable about it?

If thousands of people can get together and tithe to build one of the many megachurches, what stops people like you from getting together to fund free clinics?

There is a difference between "unworkable" and "I don't want to do it".

Why do I not want a single payer system? Simple, I don't want to subsidize the same care and priority to every other person who doesn't pay for it. I do not like the idea that I pay for my self and a drug dealer/user to go to the same doctors and be prioritized the same.

I want other things to happen. First, I want interstate health insurance restrictions removed. Second, I want it to be illegal for a hospital to charge people different based upon whether or not they have insurance.

Of course the best system for most people is having concierge medical care while carrying catastrophic insurance.

And how much money do you give to free clinics right now to help?

Let's not pretend the mentality "I've got mine, and rich people need to help the rest get theirs" is any more noble.

We absolutely need to help those that can't or won't help themselves in terms of medical care.

The military is a branch of the government. The military does pretty well at training people in exchange for service.

Why not have a medical branch of the government where people are trained as doctors, nurses, dentists, therapists, etc and then remain in that service for X years just like the military. This branch sets up training hospitals and clinics across the country, and when you finish receiving your degree, you can be posted, just like a soldier, at any clinic or hospital they pick for you for the time period allotted. Just as in the military, you can go to jail if you desert. These clinics and hospitals will serve people who fall with X% of poverty level and below (it could even be something like 150% of the poverty level).

I'd be ok with paying taxes to support such a system. Why wouldn't that type of system work? Would you be against it?

I am with you 100% on reason for not wanting single payer. I should not be given the same priority to some person who offers nothng to this world other than just existing. I went above and beyond to do something to receive benefits so now Im supposed to give my hard earned money away so they can be treated exactly the same? Call it harsh but some people are just more important. Do people really want their child to have delayed care because some low life dead beat alcoholic drug abuser is ahead of them?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,988,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
What would make it really special is if the fellow with the dental trouble was able to just walk into a medical facility and get his medical issues fixed without being forced to beg for money.
No, that wouldn't be nice. Because if that happened we'd be living in a totalitarian collectivist society where envious mediocrities would have won and imposed their self-hating misery on society as a whole.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:12 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What if my brother is the dentist?

He wasn't given money
"Though Maixner said he has never once seen a bill for the dental work, most estimate it to be well over $25,000"
If your brother was the dentist, ask him who paid for the work.

If the gentleman in the story didn't pay for it, he should be called out.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:25 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,644,368 times
Quote:
This fellow with the dental trouble should have been able to receive the surgery without relying on some wealthy moron to deem him worthy.
That would be nice for those requiring dental work to just be able to get it.. but here on planet Earth, it is fairly unlikely. And why refer to one choosing to be charitable as a "moron"?

Old 03-12-2015, 09:47 AM

506 posts, read 423,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No, that wouldn't be nice. Because if that happened we'd be living in a totalitarian collectivist society where envious mediocrities would have won and imposed their self-hating misery on society as a whole.
HA, you're really funny! I know you have been brainwashed to think that people being able to receive health care would result in some sort of nightmarish totalitarian state, but maybe you should spend some more time thinking about what your master Glenn Beck has told you, to see if it really matches up with reality. After all, there are several nations that provide health care for their people that are nothing like what you imagine, and there are many people in the USA, including moronic Republican politicians that are owned by health insurance companies that are currently receiving government health care, yet nothing approaching the world you envision is occurring here in the USA.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:20 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,396,746 times
I would love to be able to do something like this for someone. What a wonderful thing this man did.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:54 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,931,680 times
Quote:
My outlook is that people should be able to receive medical surgeries without relying on being deemed worthy to receive charity from some wealthy benefactor like some downtrodden character from a Charles Dickens novel.
There is many downtrodden people out there. Have you been to a dentist recently? It is definitely very expensive if one doesn't have dental insurance.

I do not have dental insurance and had 4 root canals that cost $1,000.00 a pop ... total $4,000.00 and that doesn't include back to my dentist for my crowns. Crowns comes in gold, porcelain and ceramic again big money.

You said "people should be able to receive medical surgeries" please tell me how with no money and no insurance? Do you think the state or federal government should hand out free dental work? I hope you don't have that mentality of the government keeping you up.

We do have free dental clinics that make one visit annually to our area but the procedures offered are limited to extractions, fillings, cleanings and partial dentures. One weekend a year, 2 days would not be enough time to correct that guy's problems.

I don't think the guy served the man his food and opened his mouth and said look here at this mess in my mouth will you please give me money to fix my teeth. Please mister you look like you are rich, give me money.

Its hard to believe a good samaritan comes along and out of his generosity the event gets trashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events