Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 05:15 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Not if you're running a business, no.
It depends, I think. If management has a reasonable belief that the business has the potential to become a gang hangout, and they do have a blanket body art exclusion to try to maintain their target clientele they should be able to turn a certain patron away. A woman in a bikini and flipflops might not be appropriate either to dine at this particular restaurant. Idk.

Doesnt someone know they are stepping outside of 'the box' when they get tattoos and facial piercings? Wasnt that kind of the whole point of doing it, to stand out of the norm, show your rebellion and/or maybe even an artisitc expression?

A good thing for anyone considering this is to think about what you get pictured on you, and what you project publicly. How will it look when you look like your grandparents do now? Will you still be happy you did it? Will it effect you economicly later in life?

Do you expect it not to fascinate, or repulse, or inspire, whoever sees you - who knows, maybe it would even shock them?

How is that percieved? Can the level of it be percieved 'as simular' by others who also sport neck and face tattoos that may not be as upstanding of a citizen? Is there a noticable culture/population of simular-looking people in the area who present a problem to the business and its goals? Could it make the place attract a different demographic than the one wanted - the target demographic of the business?

So, you have a business with a plan; and a rebel freely exercizing his right to self-expression. There is nothing wrong with either, and why should either need to accomodate one another? Is it the only decent restaurant in a 50 mile radius or something?

A guy working at a plant can probably easily breeze through his having rather distracting and open self-expression during his shift. Obviously, his boss and coworkers dont mind. But, his presentation as an employee is not appropriate as a major consumer population of all businesses that are focused on a more neutral, and/or family-style or upscale-appearing clientele.

Its not a racial thing I dont think. Im not sure tattoo ink qualifies in interpreting the 'color of one's skin', lol. Its more in the order of 'tuxedos and evening gowns required', but extenting to personal adornment as well. That's an ability restaurants and businesses in general have always had. They have to project an image too, and their image effects their goals and profits.

It depends. Another restaurant may be much less strict on appearance. I think its foolish to turn away anyone until you have had a problem - a problem. Once you have had any problem you would be negligent not to attempt to protect your customers using appearance guidelines as a legitimate means.

It doesnt have to be him personally, just people in line with the overall image projected. I dont think they should have to post a sign. People with an arm tattoo peaking out from under a short sleeve shirt are not necessarily projecting the same overall image.

Just (my wall of text worth) 2 cents.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 03-11-2015 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:01 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Having tattoos is not a protected class. They can absolutely be kicked out. Perhaps that restaurant has had issues with gang violence in the past?

I can't say I feel too sorry for people with neck, face, and hand tattoos being refused service - and I say that as a tattoo enthusiast.
I saw pics of this guy. There is nothing gang-related about him or his tattoos, which was the sole basis for the ban as far as I know.

If you are into tattoos or tattoo culture you can easily spot which ones are gang-related and which ones are not.

Then again I suppose every scruffy looking white dude with a goatee is a meth addict, too

Old 03-11-2015, 08:06 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
It's the business owner's discretion. Any business has a right to withhold service to any customer. It's the property of the owner.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
This guy is NOT a gang member; for goodness sake's he has a darn Harry Potter "deathly hallows" tattoo in this pic in front of his ear, lol!!!
I for one have never seen the Harry Potter movies, nor am I likely to. So I and probably many others would not have any clue what his tats mean.

For those all worked up about this poor guys feelings/rights, I wonder if you all would feel the same way if he had a bunch of racist tats?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
When I worked with gang members I told them a simple truth.........

If you dress like trash expect to be treated like trash

I agree he doesn't look like a banger but he does look like a trashy idiot and a restaurant is a private establishment.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Having tattoos is not a protected class. They can absolutely be kicked out. Perhaps that restaurant has had issues with gang violence in the past?

I can't say I feel too sorry for people with neck, face, and hand tattoos being refused service - and I say that as a tattoo enthusiast.
Agreed. I have tattoos myself. But I still think facial tattoos are creepy and weird looking. Besides, tattooed people aren't a protected class. If I remember correctly, many bars and restaurants have a sign that says they have a right to refuse service. As an aside, was the guy really thrown out just because of the tattoos? Or was there another reason? It's quite possible he was drunk or something. I live in Houston myself, and the Houston Rodeo is our version of New Orleans' Mardi Gras. It is a huge party that lasts for three+ weeks. Methinks the guy protest too much

Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser
I dont blame them..... People with tattoos are scary...... Some say its a sign of Evil!!

Old 03-12-2015, 01:04 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
"I'm sorry sir, you will have to leave. You're wearing a suit and tie."......
Quite a number of years ago, we used to eat at a steakhouse where they refused to serve anyone wearing a tie. In a fact, if you had a tie, a waiter would appear with a pair of scissors and cut your tie off. The walls were lined with ties that had been cut off of customers.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:07 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I hate tattoos but have no problem with people who have them going wherever they want. Of all the places to draw the line (ie: no shirt, no shoes, no facial tattoos?) it's a weird one.

They ought to refuse service to women with permanent tattooed on makeup. Some of those eyebrows and lined lips are damn scary.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:27 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
It makes no sense to me to turn away a customer. Not only do you turn that customer away, but his word of mouth might make you lose more business.

Its not easy to run a successful restaurant, seems like a bad idea to turn business away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events