Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 03:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Refusing service to someone with a face tattoo is as stupid as getting a face tattoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 05:40 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
I think facial tattoos are ugly and stupid, but if restaurants refuse service to ugly and stupid people they would be out of business.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:33 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
[quote=Miss Hepburn;38773056]It makes me wonder if a gay person opened a store or a tatooed person opened
a store and placed a sign that said, No straight people allowed or
We only serve those with tats or piercings.

Can you DO that? I dunno, I'm asking.
Is that allowed? Would they be protected by law?
quote]
No!! Then they would be discriminating against other protected classes.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:42 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
It's clear-cut discrimination. Can no more exclude service to someone with facial tattoos than you could someone super obese, with some disfigurement, or other abnormal appearance. Guy should sue. And he'll very likely win. The officer should be sued as well since he should known better. Where is the root of the problem? Welcome to the USA the freest country
Isn't the restaurant owner free?

Tattoos are voluntary, unlike race, gender, or national origin.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:44 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I think facial tattoos are ugly and stupid, but if restaurants refuse service to ugly and stupid people they would be out of business.

So let the restaurant go out of business, then. Someone may very well open a competing restaurant that advertises "Facial Tattoos Welcome". You can take your business there.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
It's clear-cut discrimination. Can no more exclude service to someone with facial tattoos than you could someone super obese, with some disfigurement, or other abnormal appearance. Guy should sue. And he'll very likely win. The officer should be sued as well since he should known better. Where is the root of the problem? Welcome to the USA the freest country
No, he won't win if he sues, any more than someone refused service after walking in without shoes or a shirt would win.

"Discrimination" is a word that's often bandied about without thinking.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
This is another reason why I despise Americans attitudes. This shouldn't even be a discussion. If I privately own a business and choose not to conduct business with you and you are not a protected class then that should be the end of the discussion.

OMG I'm gonna sue you because my mike tyson looking face can't eat at your place

Old 03-12-2015, 08:29 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Living in a free country means the restaurant has the right to refuse service to someone with facial tattoos.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:38 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
You know what? Its all fun and games to talk about that until you have to live with it. Many establishments have dress codes that are specifically designed to keep gang bangers and thugs out. Consequently, rules like "No wifebeater t shirts, no long white tees, No basketball shorts," or in this case, no facial tattoos, are implemented. This happens after problems like fights break out, or negative police attention due to large amounts of drug dealing that goes on through the place. People accuse them of being racist dress codes. It isn't a racist dress code. It is a dress code that is designed to keep law abiding customers and staff safe, and protect the physical integrity of the establishment.

If you enforce the dress code equally, meaning that whites, blacks, Eskimos, Asians, all have to comply, then they aren't doing anything wrong. It IS wrong for them to say, "your face tats look fine, his I'm not so sure about."

Last edited by JONOV; 03-12-2015 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 08:38 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

"Discrimination" is a word that's often bandied about without thinking.
Well technically, it is discrimination.

discrimination

noun dis·crim·i·na·tion \dis-ˌkri-mə-ˈnā-shən\
: the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people
: the ability to recognize the difference between things that are of good quality and those that are not
: the ability to understand that one thing is different from another thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events