Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 08:48 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
With a felony record? Do you know how many jobs thats going to exclude him from? Hell these days he probably won't even be able to rent a place to live. These days they run a criminal back ground check on you to do anything.

His life is ruined. All because a stupid bank teller, couldn't punch in the right account number.
Nah, it's the fault of the guy that sold him drugs so that he broke probation.

Just as long as it's never his own fault for his actions I'm sure you are ok with the scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 08:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times
More nonsense, the bank defrauded no one. Fraud requires intent. So much for myths. The bank never intended to make the mistake. The punk though, did intend to withdraw money that wasn't his and he knew it. Glad he was convicted, the penalty should have been more severe.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:53 PM

Did the bank teller force him to spend the money?

Old 03-12-2015, 08:55 PM

Just who would want to hire someone like that guy for any job? He is dishonest, lacks integrity, maturity and common sense. Let his mother take care of him for the rest of his life, they deserve it.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:46 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Reminds me of my friends brother that stole everything he could and then rationalized it somehow as some sort of social justice.

Then when he'd get caught it was everybody else's fault.

We have a lot of drug addict logic flying around this thread.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
This is the perfect example of how america caters to the stupid.

Why should an 18 year old be punished for a random amount of money that he didn't know its not his, nor has any knowledge that it was a bank's mistake. Stealing is when it's intentional. If he defrauded the bank or something I'd understand, but why should anyone have to be punished for someone else's incompetence. Fire the guy, cut their losses and move on. Punishing the kid for something he didn't realize or intend to do was nothing short of unfair. He should just keep the money and have the bank pay the guy back.

I remember getting overpaid on a check and losing 20 hours of work(I didn't even know I was overpaid) because of some idiots mistake. That's really not fair.

What happened to finder's keepers?

Come on, are you kidding?

Even a dumb 18 year old redneck(did you see his picture) from Georgia knows that it wasn't his money.

How would you like it if you found out the bank transferred your money to someone else's account? Would you say "oh well, finder's keepers".

How do you not realize that your bank balance jumps up 30K?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that the big good ole boy had less than $1,000 in the bank(and I'm being generous), so how do you not notice something is wrong.

This was theft.

Just this past Saturday in Newport Beach, CA a couple came out of a restaurant to find the valet had given their car to someone else, car is still missing.

So to use your logic the person who left with the car did nothing wrong, hey maybe it's the same color as their car, and they didn't notice.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:20 PM

483 posts, read 691,400 times
Quote:
I've made lot's of mistakes at my jobs, but I wasn't a bank teller.

What Tellers Do About this section

Tellers typically do the following:

Count the cash in their drawer at the start of their shift
Accept checks, cash, and other forms of payment from customers
Answer questions from customers about their accounts
Prepare specialized types of funds, such as traveler’s checks, savings bonds, and money orders
Exchange dollars for foreign currency
Order bank cards and checks for customers
Record all transactions electronically throughout their shift
Count the cash in their drawer at the end of their shift and make sure the amounts balance

Tellers are responsible for the safe and accurate handling of the money they process. When cashing a check, they must verify the customer’s identity and make sure that the account has enough money to cover the transaction. When counting cash, tellers must be careful not to make errors. If a customer is interested in financial products or services, such as certificates of deposits (CDs) and loans, tellers explain the products and services offered by the bank and refer the customer to the appropriate personnel.

Tellers : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Yeah, "tellers must be careful not to make errors"... lest they be fired for the pains they caused, which happened! Not "tellers must be careful not to make errors, because the poor bank will have to eat the teller's mistakes."

Old 03-12-2015, 10:20 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,190 times
This thread is a prime example of the mentality that's become common in the USA. Many people just don't have a shred of accountability, common sense or morality left in them. These people are a prime reason for the decline for our nation. I can't understand how many posters can't grasp the simple concept that what this kid did was criminal behavior.

For the last time:

A. The bank made a MISTAKE. They will pay for it by having to compensate the man his $30K. This does not warrant a criminal charge.

B. The kid INTENTIONALLY and KNOWINGLY spent money that was not his. That is a crime.

Its really that simple folks. What is so hard to understand about that??

Old 03-12-2015, 10:35 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Why not?

If you are shopping in a store and pay for a purchase with a $100 bill and the clerk gives you back $20 too much change. You just put it in your wallet and walk out. Then when you are driving home, you see flashing red and blue lights behind you. You pull over and the cop tells you that you walked out of the store with $20 too much change. You open your wallet and sure enough there is an extra $20 in it. So the cop tells you to get out of the car, you are under arrest for stealing $20. Would that make since? Of course, not. But that's exactly what happened here.

Would the store do something like that? Of course not. The clerk would just go whoops, I gave that guy too much change, now my register is going to be short $20, damn. Oh well. Why should't the bank do the same?
Reading comprehension is pretty important. The two situations aren't even remotely similar.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:37 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
With a felony record? Do you know how many jobs thats going to exclude him from? Hell these days he probably won't even be able to rent a place to live. These days they run a criminal back ground check on you to do anything.

His life is ruined. All because a stupid bank teller, couldn't punch in the right account number.
Things went south for the kid, NOT when the money was mistakenly deposited into his account, but rather when he spent money that he knew wasn't his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events