Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Teen convicted after spending $30K mistakenly deposited into his account | myfox8.com

Why should he have to pay it back or be punished at all? The bank's the one who screwed up.
Because he knew it wasn't his and he stole it; plain and simple. You find a wallet on street with money; you think you can spend it legally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:43 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,957 times
Why didn't this occur on Wall Street? Where was the ruling on the *******s who destroyed the economy? They spent and used billions, this kid spent 30k. Dude could pay it back in a year on a $15/hr job

Old 03-11-2015, 11:52 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
Teen convicted after spending $30K mistakenly deposited into his account | myfox8.com

Why should he have to pay it back or be punished at all? The bank's the one who screwed up.
The bank erred in good faith. The teen spent the money in bad faith - he knew it was not his. Most of the problem is that the money is now gone. That's not on the bank. That's on the teen. The bank misplaced the money, but that was an easily correctable mistake. The teen that took it and spent it - an intentional act that will be much more difficult to correct (the teen now has to come up with $30k). The bank teller did not commit a crime; the teen did commit a crime.

Mistakes happen. And makers of those mistakes can be liable for the ensuing damages. But, again, the teen did not merely make a mistake - he intentionally spent money that was not his.

Our bank accidentally deposited over $4000 into one of our checking accounts some years ago. We never thought of doing anything but notifying the bank of their error. And had the question ever come up, we certainly wouldn't have been so arrogant as to presume that had we spent the money we would not be civillly and criminally liable for so doing.

If I accidentally park my car in the next driveway over, ownership does not transfer to my neighbor. If FedEx delivers the $30,000 necklace my neighbor purchased to my house instead, I am not then free to sell that necklace and pocket the proceeds. Do people really need this explained to them?

Frankly, I have no idea what planet people are living on - including people posting to this thread - if they don't think it's a crime to spend money that is not their money, or if they have this laughably absurd idea that just because a mistake is made by a third-party with someone else's money, then that money magically becomes their money.

This - - has never been more appropriate.

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/2011/10/accidental-bank-money-not-yours-to-keep/

Old 03-11-2015, 11:55 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
When I was nineteen and managing a store, the opening till in the register had $40 more than it was supposed to have. Figuring it was an undetectable mistake I pocketed the money. When I was asked the next day why the cash receipts were off by $40 I claimed ignorance because to admit what I'd done was the same as admitting to stealing. I was so ashamed of myself for having done something so stupid. Later that day I fudged a $40 purchase and put the money back in the business (no one knew). That was thirty years ago and I'm still ashamed of myself because I knew better.

Finding money that is not yours does not entitle you to claim it as your own. He did the wrong thing and received punishment for having done so, it makes perfect sense.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:59 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Well I guess he could say he thought the mysterious money was a miracle from G-d ? He is just a teen after all. The banks fault sorry . They need to replace that money. And the bank teller needs to look at accounts more closely.

What criminal charge is there for someone spending money mistakenly given to them ?
Grand theft.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
That's like saying you got the wrong order at a restaurant after eating it all anyway, then asking for your money back because they prepared it wrong.

Ummmm, no. It's your own fault. Even if they did make it wrong, you still ate it.
Bad analogy. More like you get the wrong food at a restaurant, you eat it anyway. Then the restaurant has you arrested for refusing to pay for the food you didn't order, but ate anyway.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Quote:

Oh...PLEASE!

Mistakes happen and the teller made a mistake (perhaps understandable under the unique circumstances in this particular case); file under doo-doo happens!

The young man who spent the money certainly knew that the money did not belong in his account ('to him'), and went ahead anyway and spent money which was NOT his to spend. He should have informed the bank...IMMEDIATELY!

ETA: And the teller was "forced" to retire? Let the kid (18 years old btw) AND his mother cool their heels in jail!

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 03-11-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 12:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Because he knew it wasn't his and he stole it; plain and simple. You find a wallet on street with money; you think you can spend it legally?
Not really. Stealing is to take another persons property without permission. This kid took nothing. It was given to him by the bank.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:47 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Not really. Stealing is to take another persons property without permission. This kid took nothing. It was given to him by the bank.
Everything can be justified if you have the morals of an alley cat. This kid knew he did not have the money in the bank for that BMW but he used it anyway. Lets see if he learns from this or continues being an ignorant fool.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:59 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Grifters and con men do not steal as the mark gives them the money but it is still illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events