Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 07:06 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I have to wonder; why are so many people willing to allow THE BANK to make errors and accept NO responsibility or liability (other than a little embarrassment)?
While it is true that the young man should not have spent the money, and should have talked to the bank the minute he noticed he was suddenly rich, why does THE BANK bear no responsibility for giving the kid the money?
THE BANK made a mistake, literally STOLE money from one customer and gave it to another customer! Where is THEIR punishment?
I have to wonder how someone can come to the conclusion that the bank employee who made a clerical error stole money and also had no responsibility. They had to pay the correct customer the 30k so it's a bit more than just "slight embarassement"

It's clear many people in this thread don't understand how the real world works
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
The debates in this thread condoning and/or sympathazing with the fellow who took the money which was not his make me realize why we have gulfs between classes in society and the workplace......the mentality is just too stupid or warped or both to properly communicate with. Another reason to be aware of one's surroundings when out and among people as you never know if they think they should help themselves to your possessions for [insert ridiculous reasoning here]

Perfect example here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/curre...ath-after.html

Last edited by Felix C; 03-18-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 07:48 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
I have to wonder; why are so many people willing to allow THE BANK to make errors and accept NO responsibility or liability (other than a little embarrassment)?
While it is true that the young man should not have spent the money, and should have talked to the bank the minute he noticed he was suddenly rich, why does THE BANK bear no responsibility for giving the kid the money?
THE BANK made a mistake, literally STOLE money from one customer and gave it to another customer! Where is THEIR punishment?
I'm not understanding this logic at all. What would you have the bank do? Do you not understand what a clerical error means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No. People working at the bank made a mistake. They didn't steal the money.

I analogize this to traffic accident. Smith is busy thinking about work and he misses a stop sign. He hits a vehicle in the intersection, driven by Jones, that had the right of way. Under the law, Smith is negligent or careless and has a duty to reimburse Jones for the damage to his car and for any injuries that Jones may have suffered to his person. We don't put Smith in jail because he made a mistake.

Now compare what Smith did with the following:

Brown and his friend have a bet. Brown bets that he can drive through a stop sign and cause a collision with another vehicle and that he won't be hurt in the process. Brown intentionally seeks to cause the collision. In the process of doing this, another driver Black is seriously injured and his car is totaled. In this situation it is not enough that Black simply reimburses Brown. His causing this collision intentionally is a criminal act. Under the law of most states he could be charged with an aggravated assault which is a felony.

The point is that whatever the bank did it was not intentional. The act of taking the money was intentional. That is why it falls into the category of a criminal offense and is the more significant wrong.

If you and others can't accept this explanation at this point, you really do live in a different world than most of us do.
Truth.

I wish I knew real names so that I could protect myself from those on this thread that thinks that stealing is perfectly ok.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:06 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
I wonder if they fired the clerk who made a $30,000 mistake?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I wonder if they fired the clerk who made a $30,000 mistake?
She was fired.

I don't know about other banks, but at mine, I have to insert my debit card and enter my PIN and then my information is brought up on the teller's screen, so a mistake like this wouldn't happen and she wouldn't be out of a job.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:25 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
Quote:
I made a somewhat similar error as a financial services employee, years ago. I cost my company $6000. I certainly didn't "steal" it though, that is ridiculous. It was a mistake, not an purposeful action. Intent matters.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:30 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393
It was dishonest to spend the money. Those who are not ethically compromised can see that.
Whadda ya expect,he is a TEEN and probably has a stuck up attitude,etc......

Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

I wonder if it was an employer who deposited the money if people would feel any differently.
Nearly 20 years ago, ADP direct deposited my paycheck twice into a Bank of America account. $500.
  • Yes, I knew the double amount was weird.
  • Yes, I knew it came from Direct Deposit.
  • Yes, I knew it couldn't be right.

It didn't matter. At the time, I was taught by both my mother AND the bank that I am responsible for what goes in or comes out of my account. That's it's MY money, and that the moment something is deposited, it's mine.

Being 18 it never occurred to me that Direct Deposit could go in "wrong". It also never occurred to me that some clerk would not have caught it. I therefore assumed that maybe my employer just was paying me back pay; maybe it's overtime; maybe it's a bonus, etc. It was direct deposit, a computer can't make that kind of error. So I withdrew it all. All of it.

Fast forward a few months and the bank is sending me notices that $500 was "incorrectly deposited" into my account and I need to pay them. I called them and said, "you told me whatever goes into my account is mine and I'm responsible for it!" They said "well, we meant anything YOU deposit into your account is yours. Anything someone else deposits into your account remains their property until and unless they take it back." (Yes, I know this BS. The entire banking system would crash.)

I ended up paying it back but not until many years later, when I had attempted to open an account at another bank and was informed that I had a ChexSystems record from BofA for that $500.

That's when I learned not to trust banks, employers, or ADP. I question anything that seems out of whack and (sadly) confirm Direct Deposit behavior the day it hits, every single week.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Here is what I realize after 42 pages of rants:
1. The kid got a "windfall" in his account, but should not have spent the money (I agree with this.)
2. Once he spent the money, he should pay it back. (I agree with this.)
3. He got probation, which is basically a slap on the wrist. (I agree with this, also, but 10 years is a long time!)
4. The bank has no responsibility, other than disciplining the employee who made the mistake, and also has no liability. (I do NOT agree with this!) IMO, the employer (ANY employer) should be responsible and liable for the official acts of any employee during working hours!

Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
It didn't matter. At the time, I was taught by both my mother AND the bank that I am responsible for what goes in or comes out of my account. That's it's MY money, and that the moment something is deposited, it's mine.

Being 18 it never occurred to me that Direct Deposit could go in "wrong". It also never occurred to me that some clerk would not have caught it. I therefore assumed that maybe my employer just was paying me back pay; maybe it's overtime; maybe it's a bonus, etc. It was direct deposit, a computer can't make that kind of error. So I withdrew it all. All of it.

That's when I learned not to trust banks, employers, or ADP. I question anything that seems out of whack and (sadly) confirm Direct Deposit behavior the day it hits, every single week.
Wait, what?

So if someone accidentally left something in your car then it's yours, since you are responsible for what comes in/out of your car?

You failed to contact your employer or ADP to find out the correct "owner" of this $500; you took it and spent it, and blame the bank when they ask for it back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events