Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 09:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times

Advertisements

Nordstroms Department Store offers nursing lounges for mothers, but you're right that they are few and far between in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:40 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
This is a picture of the mother, nursing her baby without a blanket while wearing a tank top. This is likely pretty close to what the flight attendant saw. Proof that a nursing mother does not need to use a blanket to be discreet.

United Airlines attendant angers breastfeeding mother - British Columbia - CBC News

Old 03-12-2015, 10:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
I think women should keep their faces/mouths covered when they eat bananas, damn attention seeking exhibitionists!

The Taliban has it right with keeping all these breast feeding attention whores in their place.

/sarcasm

Old 03-12-2015, 10:33 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
If everyone was discrete and took steps to not make others uncomfortable the world would be about 50% better overnight. But no, people want everyone to ACCEPT their actions regardless of how it makes anyone feel. In fact, some people go out of their way to make others uncomfortable and seem to think that's a good thing and that it's helping people grow in some way.

Those people are idiots and that's why the world is a mess and everyone hates everyone else. Constant friction doesn't ever make things better.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:11 PM

555 posts, read 804,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Remember all that the next time and the person sitting next to you is a sexual predator or child molester. You wouldn't know of course but think about it. What would it really take to show some discretion? You seem to ask that of others easily enough.
I suggest you and your spouse and kids, if you have any, cover yourself up head to toe the next time you go out in public. After all, who knows? That skin, that hair, that sweet face only serves to tempt unsavory characters. The person sitting next to you could be a "sexual predator or child molester."

Your logic, or lack thereof, is humorous. With your kind of thinking, we should all be in burkas. Oh yes, let's cover ourselves to avoid attracting the sexual interest of those around us! They can't help themselves, so we must women and children must cover up!

Do we live in the U.S. or do we live in some repressive, overseas country?

Do you even know what a woman looks like when she nurses a child "uncovered" i.e. normally? There's nothing exhibitionist about it. Men and women quite often show more skin wearing their normal clothes.

My child was nursed normally (i.e. uncovered). If we had another child, we would do it the same way.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:56 PM

555 posts, read 804,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife;38797620[B
]My goodness, why does breast feeding in public have to be a public affair?
[/b]
This isn't about a dinner for people other than infants, please be realistic at least. That was a very poor example, you know it. This about discretion.

In the free world, we are able to do a lot of things. That doesn't mean we shouldn't consider discretion. The woman who doesn't cover breast feeding in public is exposing her baby to every cough, sneeze and puke that anyone around wants to spew out. Anyone who has ever flown in an airplane knows how many people in those planes are hacking up who knows what?

No one is remotely suggesting using a heavy blanket to cover in a warm, hot or stuffy environment. If anyone thinks breast feeding uncovered on an airplane, one of the most common vectors for transmitting airborne diseases like the flu, colds, pneumonia and such is okay, maybe think about the baby for once instead of some agenda.

Use a nearly sheer cover. They are cheap, easily carried any place and convenient to use.
Do you eat out at restaurants? If you do, eating for you is a public affair. If you can eat out in the public, babies nursing can eat out in public. Your rights are no greater than a baby's.

If I think you look disgusting with the way you shovel food into your mouth, should you cover your head while eating out for my comfort? No. If I think you look disgusting while eating, I can look away. And you should do the same with nursing children. If you don't like watching them nurse, look away. That, my friend, is what is called discretion.

As for germs, are you really suggesting that children are a higher risk of getting diseases if they nurse normally, i.e. "uncovered," as opposed to children simply being out in public? Does nursing somehow magically attract germs to divert their route and head straight for a nursing child instead? Are you really of the mindset that a "nearly sheer cover" will magically shield a child from germs?

If you are, then perhaps the sight of a woman nursing normally, i.e. uncovered, is the least of your worries.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:10 AM

414 posts, read 400,207 times
This might seem off topic. But it is similar to talking your private business on the airplane. There is nothing wrong with using a cellphone, or with what you have to say; but I should not have to hear your conversations when I have no place to get away from you. Same thing here. Everyone deserves to not have to be a party to your private activities regardless of how right and normal it is for you.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,181 times
Its not something Americans are used to seeing. When I waited tables sometimes Moms would choose to feed baby while everyone else ate too. Sounds reasonable while in the privacy of your own home. Everyone in the family eats at the same time.

I remember one occasion where half the dining room became upset over having to watch this while they ate, to the point the manager went over and as quietly and nicely as possible asked the woman to stop. She went out to the family car to finish up. Then returned with the baby to finish her own meal.

I think it was great that she didnt become totally selfish about it, and considered the feelings of others in the restaurant.

Depending on how long the flight was, the woman may have had no choice but to feed when she did. She should have considered the feelings of others, and naturally covered herself. Ive seen women breastfeed on the bus in the morning, but Ive never seen one not cover themselves from the prying eyes of others. And, there are eyes that want to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
This might seem off topic. But it is similar to talking your private business on the airplane. There is nothing wrong with using a cellphone, or with what you have to say; but I should not have to hear your conversations when I have no place to get away from you. Same thing here. Everyone deserves to not have to be a party to your private activities regardless of how right and normal it is for you.
Totally agree!

Old 03-13-2015, 06:19 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
1. I fail to see how anyone can be upset at seeing a mother nurse her baby. I think its wonderful, and no woman should be shamed for using her body the way God intended. There isn't a thing sexual about it. Besides. Everyone has nipples folks. What is the big deal about a nipple. Women can have almost 1/2 the boob showing and its OK, but let the nipple peek out and people get outraged? People in this country are nuts.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:44 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times
I took my kids from the time they were babies out to restaurants. Learning experience for them on how to approriately act in public. Not just fast food places, but upscale ones also.

While in warm weather I wore those nursing shirts, it was impossible in the Winter. One time at a fancy restaurant when it was cold weather, I took my daughter into the Ladies LOUNGE. The restaurant had a lounge area attached to where the toilets were with nice comfy chairs, mirrors, etc. Men, it is where women sit, chat, brush hair, put on makeup, etc.

I had to take off my big heavy sweater to nurse her. No other way to do it. I had a turtleneck under it which I had to pull up. Ok, this was not where people were eating, but where other WOMEN were "primping". I tried to be as discreet as I could but it was around other FEMALES. Sit on the JOHN and feed her there? Gross, disgusting, and not very sanitary. Why do something like that when I could nurse her in a nice chair?

I did get very mixed comments. The negative ones were all from YOUNG women. The older women were oooing and aahing. That really surprised me. Perhaps the older women were all mothers, or grandmas, themselves?

At any rate, what WOMAN has never seen a breast before? I have seen many women in these lounge areas pull up their shirts to adjust their bras and even change their shirts!

I suppose bottom line there will always be somebody who reacts negatively to anything, no matter what you try do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events