Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 03:41 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
If you don't like it, look away.

Your comparison between nursing and picking one's nose makes no sense. The child is not picking his/her nose. The child is drinking milk.

BTW, some people disgust me when they feed their kid with a bottle or pop a dirty binky that's fallen the ground back into their child's mouth. Why the hell do they do this to me??? Like you, I find this distasteful, too. For crying out loud, is it too much to ask for to cover their kid while their kid is drinking from a bottle or sucking from a dirty pacifier?

Yeah, silly, right? If I see this (and yes, those things do disgust me), I just look away. That is the polite thing to do.

Folks like you who have sexual hangups -- it's fine, if you do, even if you don't realize it. But don't force other people to cover their bodies just because *you* have a sexual hangup. It's your problem. I sincerely hope you and others like you work through your issues -- without dragging nursing strangers into the mix. Best of luck.
Hahahahaha, priceless! Believe me, I don't have sexual hangups, in the least. What I do have is distaste towards women who can't do the simple act of covering up when their kid is feeding off of them. Gross. Especially gross if it's done at an establishment where people are eating. Get some manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 03:44 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Most women who nurse do not show much skin at all, and frankly, you will see much more skin because of the way many women dress and whenever a man chooses to go topless.
Lol, because that's not the same thing either. I'm picturing a Venn diagram where you assume everybody who likes looking at people showing skin also disapprove of a mother breastfeeding in public, so that you can call them hypocrites. And that the sexualized image of a bikini model or firefighter triggers the same response as that mother and her baby in every human and I realize that you and everyone else who uses this "logic" doesn't get it and REFUSES to get it.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:47 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you feel uncomfortable when a woman nurses in your vicinity.
That's a lie. I didn't type that.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:49 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
I guess I didn't make myself clear earlier. Even If she has national geographic boobs and the ugliest baby you've ever seen and you are forced to watch on the screen on your seatback it's still 10x better than listening to that thing cry the entire flight. crying baby is the worst sound on earth and a close second is a fork scratching on a plate.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:27 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No need to get snippy. I know exactly what is seeing as how I've got two kids and a wife who breastfed both. But I'm not so pigheaded and emotionally invested in this topic in that I have to lash out childishly at those that don't agree with me to see both sides of this. The baby can get fed from a bottle and still be nourished.

Maybe you should take a deep breath and go outside for a while.
Not all babies drink from a bottle and the woman in question was being discreet.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Some people are turned off by the idea of watching/hearing/witnessing a baby suck on a mother's breast and that they don't want to experience it.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this. The woman on the plane was being discreet but even if her breast was not visible, it was still apparent that she was nursing and that made the flight attendant who was probably the only person who even noticed that she was nursing, uncomfortable thus leading to the blanket throwing incident. Some people are just bothered by the idea of breastfeeding and that is enough to make them uncomfortable.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't understand why it's such a problematic thing for a woman to just cover herself if she's feeding her kid. How is that in any way a burden? I & obviously many many others don't want to see that. Sorry, I find it distasteful, period. They say they have to feed their kid....fine, can't you go to a private area? Must you do it out in public where everyone can see you? I don't pick my nose in public, why? Because it would offend others. Lol. It's just a simple request yet so many are bent out of shape. It's called simple manners, it shouldn't even be considered controversial.
You don't have to use a blanket to be discreet.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:54 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Because it isn't the same? Maybe I don't get what you are asking or what people won't address. But to me, drinking from a glass, or a bottle or a sippy cup or a coffee mug is not the same as sucking from a breast.
I think what 2mares was referring to was the ridiculous assertion earlier in the thread that mothers should cover up nursing babies because it's supposedly a dirtry, dirty, germy world. But yet they don't claim the same for bottle fed babies.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:17 PM

268 posts, read 357,377 times
Ceece, too bad for you. Manners has nothing to do with it.

Its sad when folks will equate breast feeding with shame or disrespecting others. If you were raised thinking there was something wrong with it, then you need to get over it.

I will always support a woman's right to breast feed without feeling like they should be looking over their shoulder wondering who they might offend.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:08 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't understand why it's such a problematic thing for a woman to just cover herself if she's feeding her kid. How is that in any way a burden? I & obviously many many others don't want to see that. Sorry, I find it distasteful, period. They say they have to feed their kid....fine, can't you go to a private area? Must you do it out in public where everyone can see you? I don't pick my nose in public, why? Because it would offend others. Lol. It's just a simple request yet so many are bent out of shape. It's called simple manners, it shouldn't even be considered controversial.
I agree with this. It's really not that hard to just cover up. Clearly enough of her boob was out there if the flight attendent noticed. I'm curious to hear the other side of the story.

The poster who compared this to a couple eating with a sheet over them fails to see the difference. In what other case does someone whip out their breast to eat? Do I whip out my boob for my husband while we are at dinner? Likewise, no one gets offended by a baby bottle because there is no breast being pulled out. These comparisons aren't even the same. Breasts weren't meant to be sexual, but the media and women themselves (yeah, those of us who wear push up bras, cleavage showing blouses, and tiny bikini tops) have made them sexual. Don't pretend you haven't used your boobs in a sexual way, we all have.

There are rules about public nudity. Being topless, exposing yourself falls into that. Relieving yourself is natural body function, too. Would you be offended if a guy whipped out his penis to go to the bathroom on the sidewalk? I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy about it, even if he was being "discrete". If you refuse to use a blanket, you should seek a more private location. Seriously, it's basic manners and courtesy for those around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events