Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 AM

1,316 posts, read 742,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Some please point out the illegality of asking a breastfeeding woman to cover. No such thing exists. It doesn't matter if you don't like someone asking, they have the right.
And she has the right to refuse, so we're all happy! Problem solved, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:03 AM

555 posts, read 801,429 times
Quote:
Sydlee, the fact that you highlight only specific texts demonstrates clearly the reluctance to do more than cherry pick for an agenda. Surely you can do better.
I'm disappointed in your responses. You have nothing of real substance to say. You don't address people's tough questions and concerns, especially when they require you to confront the issue in a real, substantive way. You pick and choose minor things you feel it is easy to defend, things that you find easy to attack others with (your recent pointed question about freedom of speech to GlassofMerlot comes to mind), yet you ignore the responses that challenge your statements in a serious way (my posts, among countless others). You don't answer, because you have no answer beyond snide remarks.

In fact, it is you who has cherry picked for your agenda. I didn't want to say anything earlier, but since you brought it up....

Does it make you feel better to toss out snide little remarks whenever you realize you have nothing of substance to say? Do you feel all grown up now?

I stand by my remarks. Perhaps one day you'll actually address them in a meaningful way, as well as the posts of other people addressing you. I'm sorry you have nothing real to contribute to this discussion. When you actually have something other than personal little attacks to contribute, I'll consider responding to you again.

Best of luck.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:03 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,266,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I do not understand the need of women to breastfeed uncovered and I am in no way attracted to a woman's boobs sexually but I also don't want to see a baby attached to one either.
So don't look! it's a mother feeding a baby!

angelenogirl right on, girl.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:27 AM

11,768 posts, read 11,979,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Not true. You can stop making this personal. I just want to know why people would insist that the woman in the photo needs a blanket. No one will answer that question. There is nothing showing that would be considered offensive from what I can tell. I don't understand how a blanket would make it better. I am truly trying to understand what it is about adding a blanket that suddenly makes it more acceptable. Is it because it's an added barrier? What is it?
Adding the blanket shields men from having to deal with a breast being used for its natural purpose? If they can't see it, they can pretend breasts are only for their sexual enjoyment?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,762,150 times
Quote:
Some please point out the illegality of asking a breastfeeding woman to cover. No such thing exists. It doesn't matter if you don't like someone asking, they have the right.
Beat the stuffing out of that strawman...

Yes, women have the right to feed their children without wearing a breast-burqa. And other people have the right to complain about it. Legally, they're all on equal grounds.

And that's where the equivalency stops.

Because these women are minding their own business and parenting - while the complaining strangers are not minding their own business, and are expecting the women in question to cater to their fussy and utterly pointless discomfort.

The fact that two things are both equal does not make them both reasonable.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:16 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,181,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Beat the stuffing out of that strawman...

Yes, women have the right to feed their children without wearing a breast-burqa. And other people have the right to complain about it. Legally, they're all on equal grounds.

And that's where the equivalency stops.

Because these women are minding their own business and parenting - while the complaining strangers are not minding their own business, and are expecting the women in question to cater to their fussy and utterly pointless discomfort.

The fact that two things are both equal does not make them both reasonable.

Enough with the silliness. Women have the right to breastfeed as they wish. Free speech is still protected, no one will be arrested for complaining, no matter how stupid they sound.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:19 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,847,331 times
If I see a mother with a blanket covering her chest, I KNOW what is going on under that blanket. She is advertising that her boob is exposed under that covering and being suckled by a child. That baby can also get tired of being covered and try to pull that blanket off. It is stuffy under there and they want to see mama's face.

If a mother is breastfeeding and just has her baby covering the boob, then you really don't know what is happening most of the time. It could just be a mother cuddling her baby. A baby that can see it's mother's face while feeding will be happier.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:00 AM

36,163 posts, read 30,636,498 times
Quote:
Glass of merlot, do you support or otherwise agree with the idea that asking someone a question in a public place should be controlled, deemed harmful and prohibited? If so, do you have a list or criteria or does it only apply to those asking a breast feeding mother a question?
Sorry but I had to address this.
I do see your point and agree that yes we all have the right and freedom to ask strangers questions but Year2525, yes there is an unspoken control on what we say to others in public. Some call it a filter, some call it manners, its something we teach our children and honestly you remind me of one with your insistence that's its ok to ask or say anything to anyone and your apparent disregard for peoples feelings.
When my children were little they had no filter. I was embarrassed many times by them exercising their right to free speech and had to teach them what was appropriate and what was not.

Criteria for not asking questions or making remarks being if ones actions in public are 1. not causing you or others harm 2. Not illegal 3.none of your business 4. can be avoided 5. hurtful or threatening to the other person.

Some examples I have actually had to tell children: DO NOT ask that person why they have just one leg, or no teeth, or talk funny, don't ask that women if she is pregnant, don't inform them that they smell funny, are old, don't remark that they are black, or fat, or ugly.

Its not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:19 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,607,574 times
Quote:
What ifs can go on forever without purpose can't they? The behavior of the FA specifically has already been addressed, very many times, please go read those posts and be informed, really. Your question demonstrates either an ignorance of or a willingness to ignore the rules of how the forum works. Nevertheless, were the situation you described to happen, I would immediately contact the management and complain. I would not run to the media. Now, I have shown you far more courtesy in answering a rather twisted question (you are changing the situation to suit you agenda, which is obvious) so now reply further and say that regardless of the posts you make after this, even if they are direct questions to me, I'll ignore them. Maybe you'll figure out why.
?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:24 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,390,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
?
"Must Have Last Word Syndrome" .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events