Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 09:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
With that opinion you are in the minority. You should see the amount of reps I got from my posts on this topic.
The second most from a thread in the 3+ years I have been posting on City-Data.

You also apparently lack reading comprehension because plenty on this tread agree with me.

Cigarettes cause non-smokers headaches and other health problems. Smelling stench from others when it can be avoided is beyond inconsiderate. But most of smokers are like that. There is much more to it than the risk of early death. To say that it is harmless is just showing your ignorance.
And you should see mine - and my opinion directly contradicts yours. I've gotten more reps on my posts in this thread than I've gotten in a long time.

So that in and of itself doesn't mean either of us is in the minority, and when the heck did that determine who was in the right, anyway?

If a bunch of lemmings are rushing off a cliff into the ocean and a few lemmings choose not to do that, does that make the surviving lemmings, of which there are fewer, wrong? No, didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 09:47 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

If we allow something like this...how long will it be before we can't wear perfume in our homes? Or deodorant?
Businesses and public places actually CAN tell you not to wear pungent things especially if it triggers allergies.

Quote:
How about the noise pollution caused by children? One of the most annoying things I can think of is your colicky baby screaming all night long. Maybe neighbors shouldn't be able to do that either. After all, sleep deprivation is potentially much more damaging than someone 20ft away smoking a cigarette. And a screaming baby is clearly a nuisance.
Noise ordinances CAN compel you to do something about the child, yes. And a baby that keeps screaming is likely a sign of some sort of abuse or neglect, which gets into child protection issues. So no, that's not proper.

Quote:
And no, you can't go to work every day at 4am. I find it annoying when you start your car and open and close your garage door.
There's a reason they make whisper quiet garage openers now. It's to deal with this situation. It's just me in a detached home, but my door is so quiet you can't hear it standing right in front of it. Versus the older model being so loud it echoed down the street. Yes, cops can be called if it's disruptive.

Quote:
Seriously, should the rest of the world be put in a bubble because your kid has a peanut butter allergy?
Actually, restaurants DO have to disclose whether food is prepared in the same place as nuts, soy, and other common allergic reactants.

I think your problem is that you have this notion that a person can do whatever they want, whenever they want, because it's America.

The reality is that you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, so long as it doesn't disrupt others, because I can guarantee you that somewhere along the way, someone will identify some rule or law that enables them to come down on you.

Rather than risk it, just do the right thing - if you want to smoke, get one of those smoke catcher devices for $20 and puff into it. Is it really that hard?

Old 03-14-2015, 10:22 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And you should see mine - and my opinion directly contradicts yours. I've gotten more reps on my posts in this thread than I've gotten in a long time.

So that in and of itself doesn't mean either of us is in the minority, and when the heck did that determine who was in the right, anyway?

If a bunch of lemmings are rushing off a cliff into the ocean and a few lemmings choose not to do that, does that make the surviving lemmings, of which there are fewer, wrong? No, didn't think so.
It's mind-boggling how anyone is okay with polluting another persons home.

I find that type of attitude appalling. But I shouldn't be surprised because there are so many people who do not give a damn about anyone but themselves.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:06 AM

460 posts, read 1,004,756 times
I didn't know people smoked inside anymore since the 70's. That would really make your house smell awful.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:25 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times
When we have winter parties, people go in the garage and smoke. It makes the GARAGE smell awful, for weeks! And that is with ventilation.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
There is another thread on the Health and Wellness about the smoke from burning candles being unhealthy. Hmm. Think about that. Is it just CIGARETTE smoke that bothers some people? Maybe these neighbors would not like to smell the smoke from burning candles, as that other poster said. I wonder what they would do when their neighbors clean their DIRTY OVENS? Wow. That can get very, very smoky and they will smell that too!!!!!!

Where will it all end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events