Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:01 PM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I abhor cigarettes. I hate the stink of the smoke, and that people throw butts on the ground and out their car windows (most of the time still lit - isn't that a fire hazard?). I'll never understand the mindset of it being okay to just throw cigarette butts on the ground. Why not just collect them and then dispose of them in a trash bin like all other trash?

But I digress...

I think the neighbors are in the wrong in this case. The onus should be on them to fix the ventilation in their home to prevent the smell of smoke. IMO, the only place smoking should be allowed is inside one's home.
Bolded part; Except with this type of home. Only? No, wrong there too. A smoker can smoke outside but considerate people keep it away from non-smokers, unless they are okay with the stench.

The ones making the pollution need to make sure they are not bothering the neighbors, not the other way around, If they can't come up with a solution the polluters need to move. They had their time and now the party in that house is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 07:05 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
I have no objection to anyone's smoking as long as he contains it completely in his own space.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Wow.. it amazes me how many people are defending the plaintiffs..

Has no one ever heard of a "slippery slope"? First it is not being allowed to smoke in one's home. What comes next? Can I not have a beer in my house because the neighbors might be alcoholics and see me, thus losing all control over their mental faculties?

Can I not watch what I choose on TV because they may be able to see in my windows and not approve?

How about that big steak I'm grilling? If vegetarians move in next door, will that now be illegal?

Get a grip, you silly little nannies!
All of this is absurd and way over the top. Having a beer and watching TV has zero to do with this topic.

Some of you are really reaching to defend these people with very temporary nuance examples.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSmurf View Post
Smell it long enough and you will become numb to it.
Not true.

The heath problems for the non-smoker is a scientific fact.

I hope these smokers who smoke inside their home do not have pets but I'm quite sure most of them do.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have no objection to anyone's smoking as long as he contains it completely in his own space.
I'm cool with that too, as long as no children or pets are living there.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:44 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
The only thing absurd in this subject is the attitude of so many inconsiderate people who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves.
Your right, These people are trying to tell their neighbor what he can or can not do in his own house. That's as inconsiderate as it gets. They don't give a drn about anyone except themselves.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:45 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,149 times
Quote:
Not true.

I hope these smokers who smoke inside their home do not have pets but I'm quite sure most of them do.
I was referring to the smell of burnt body parts that are blown up.

Last edited by Devon011; 03-13-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 07:53 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times
Quote:
I'm cool with that too, as long as no children or pets are living there.
And if there is, is it really anyone's individual business other than the parent? Nope.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:17 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Not true.

Amazing how some folks like to distort facts. Second hand smoke studies are mostly based on opinions and not scientific fact, since its impossible to get a base test group that's unaffected by any other cause of pollution. Its just a tactic used by anti-smokers to scare people with.

A car passing by you puts out more harmful fumes than a carton of smoked cigarettes. Maybe your neighbor should sue you for starting your car, if a breeze is blowing towards his home, and he does not drive.

Smoking can not be good for you, and there is no doubt that its better not to smoke. However, its been blown way out of proportion, and Doctors blame everything on smoking. I don't care what you go to a Doctor for, the first thing they almost always ask you is if you smoke. The only ones more crazy about smoking, are the ones who take everything as gospel, and have absolutely no common sense. They will stand on a corner and see some guy with a cigarette and think he is killing them, when a dozen cars have passed by spewing Carbon monoxide and Hydrocarbons in enough quantities to kill a man, and they are totally oblivious to it. Its comical.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:27 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Two things are necessary for smoke to move from one house to another:

1) Smoke must leave the house of origin.

2) Smoke must enter the other house.

What has the complainant done to eliminate #2 above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events