Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:44 PM

11,367 posts, read 9,279,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Your right, These people are trying to tell their neighbor what he can or can not do in his own house. That's as inconsiderate as it gets. They don't give a drn about anyone except themselves.
Correction: That should be "you're right."

My right to live without a preventable health hazard of a very inconsiderate next door neighbor. Either the smoking home owner finds a solution to polluting his neighbors home or he stops smoking in his house.

No one has the right to cause another person stress and ill health if it can be prevented which in this case it clearly can be. You probably wouldn't be saying such a foolish thing if someone was doing something like playing drums with a window open while you are trying to sleep. Or blasting noise with heavy bass 24/7 so loud it takes over your house. I have a feeling your stance would be much different if that happened.

I'm convinced most smokers have no idea how bad their filthy habit stinks, or how they go through life smelling like one of those cancer sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 08:59 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,089 times
I'm curious to see what people will try to stop there neighbors from next. Don't like the smell of the food that is being cooked. Sue them and get a judge to rule they don't cook. Don't like the neighbors having food delivered at certain times of the day or night, sue them to stop. The list goes on and on. Total crap.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
See, while that may be annoying for you for the one day he smokes some meat... cigarette smokers generally smoke on a daily basis and multiple times a day.

I'd be significantly more annoyed with smokers rather than someone who cooks meat. For what it's worth, cooked meat smells much better :-)
You're assuming it went on for one day. It was all summer long. We were all grateful when he moved.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I'm curious to see what people will try to stop there neighbors from next. Don't like the smell of the food that is being cooked. Sue them and get a judge to rule they don't cook. Don't like the neighbors having food delivered at certain times of the day or night, sue them to stop. The list goes on and on. Total crap.

This. Because there's one major addiction here, and it will, as I said above, move on to something else once it gets its fix on one thing. That is the addiction to dictating how others live their lives, and making sure that no one ANYWHERE makes a decision that you, yourself, would not make, or actually enjoys something you disapprove of.

It's the most pernicious addiction threatening our society today. FAR more addictive than nicotine.

In fact, I consider it a health threat because of the stress it causes. So let's make it illegal to try to control how other people live their lives, shall we? In the interests of public health?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:37 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
D.C. man can

In DC, a temporary court order has been placed against a man from smoking inside his own home. His neighbors complained about the smoke and were able to obtain the order.

The neighbors are also seeking $500,000 in damages.
That's what you get when you live in a nanny state on steroids, rank with corruption, infested by bureaucrats with nothing to do except make trouble for others, and majority-populated by the Free Sh*t Army.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
D.C. man can

In DC, a temporary court order has been placed against a man from smoking inside his own home. His neighbors complained about the smoke and were able to obtain the order.

The neighbors are also seeking $500,000 in damages.
Well, depend about how he smokes... Sure his home is his castle but that doesn't mean he can do whatever he feels... Your freedom stops where mine's begin.
My home is my freedom but I can not play very loud music disturbing the neighbors who needs tranquility... If my neighbor smokes so much that my home smells cigarette and full of smoke, I will sue him too.
But do not agree with the 500k part.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:48 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,952,336 times
I thought sitting for 8 hours was the new smoking ... meaning ... smokers can do what they want while the focus shifts to fat, out of shape managers, executives, and other sub-ordinates.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:44 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Wow.. it amazes me how many people are defending the plaintiffs..

Has no one ever heard of a "slippery slope"? First it is not being allowed to smoke in one's home. What comes next? Can I not have a beer in my house because the neighbors might be alcoholics and see me, thus losing all control over their mental faculties?

Can I not watch what I choose on TV because they may be able to see in my windows and not approve?

How about that big steak I'm grilling? If vegetarians move in next door, will that now be illegal?

Get a grip, you silly little nannies!
Can I drink until I pass out with cigarette in my hand and burn down your house along with mine?

I know a guy who did it. He too, complained about silly little nannies, like the innocent old woman whose house he burned down along with his.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'm cool with that too, as long as no children or pets are living there.
I'd go so far as to say that if he poisons his own children, it is natural selection at work.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I thought sitting for 8 hours was the new smoking ... meaning ... smokers can do what they want while the focus shifts to fat, out of shape managers, executives, and other sub-ordinates.
Survival of the fittest once again. I don't care if people kill themselves, I'd rather they were not on the same group health plan as me though. They tend to run up premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events