Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:03 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
They are still considered peace officers so they do have the right to detain and arrest. I'm not sure how or if that status changes in retirement. Retired LEO still have a shield and can carry......soooo I dunno. I am curious to know the answer.
I'm not sure if I agree. They keep their weapon and shield, but that's more of momento than anything else from what I understand. According to what I'm reading, the ex-officer was trying to make a citizen's arrest, which is something that any Joe on the street can do to detain an individual who just committed a serious crime. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2147406 He doesn't seem to be claiming that he was acting as a peace officer, and as a retired officer who is not subject to the regular training practices as active duty LEO, he doesn't seem to be a peace officer. More on this point: Retired law enforcement officers are not acting as arms of the state, thus are not peace officers and their actions aren't subject to the 4th Amendment; in fact, the article I posted notes that the man hasn't been a peace officer since he retired over 20 years ago, which makes sense. And for his sake, he better hope this is true as his slap of the other guy, seemingly without provocation, didn't seem to be by the book for peace officers.

Edit: after briefly reviewing NY criminal code section 2.10, which defines peace officer, I'm certain the article I posted is correct that this man isn't a peace officer. The section refers to active employees of various agencies, not retirees, and, in certain cases, people appointed to specific positions on a volunteer basis by the appropriate authorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 08:57 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Don't know what transpired before the video but the video certainly doesn't bode well for the shooter.
I guess his defense is that he shot the guy while making an arrest and not in self-defense because I don't see where his life is in danger in the video. I'm guessing it'll come down to whether the former corrections officer shooter has the same rights/duty in making an arrest as a LEO.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:59 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hand View Post
The retired guy should be lauded for taking two perps off the streets... to assault & rob an old man more than twice your age? You get your well deserved comeuppance !
There was no robbery. Just assault.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Apparently, one can kill anyone these days for anything it seems. Good things hes an ex-cop...that basically a get out of jail free card for killing anyone
Not an ex cop. Ex corrections officer! Corrections officers are not the same as NYPD officers.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:06 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
They are still considered peace officers so they do have the right to detain and arrest. I'm not sure how or if that status changes in retirement. Retired LEO still have a shield and can carry......soooo I dunno. I am curious to know the answer.
Correction officers do not have the authority to make an arrest. Especially a retired one. They carry for their protection against ex cons who may recognize them on the outside and want to retaliate.

I have no beef with thugs who are looking for trouble getting shot, but the shooter may be in trouble here since he pursued the teens after the initial altercations and shot.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:34 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
I wondering since when is a retired prison guard considered a "COP"? But that makes for a better spin on the story. This guy was an armed private citizen, nothing more.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Correction officers do not have the authority to make an arrest. Especially a retired one. They carry for their protection against ex cons who may recognize them on the outside and want to retaliate.

I have no beef with thugs who are looking for trouble getting shot, but the shooter may be in trouble here since he pursued the teens after the initial altercations and shot.
No "teens here" these were grown men. One Hispanic, one Black.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I wondering since when is a retired prison guard considered a "COP"? But that makes for a better spin on the story. This guy was an armed private citizen, nothing more.
The title of this thread is correct. Off Duty correction officer. Retired = he's off duty. He's a correction officer and not a cop.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
The title of this thread is correct. Off Duty correction officer. Retired = he's off duty. He's a correction officer and not a cop.
The title of the thread is incorrect. An off-duty status necessarily assumes that an individual has a duty to return to once the off-duty shift/period ends; "off-duty" is a term with a specified legal understanding that your definition does not meet. Additionally, as far as law enforcement officers go (and a correction officer is a law enforcement officer, not that you claimed otherwise), being off-duty doesn't strip one of one's lawful authority and duty to make arrests as peace officers for crimes committed in their presence or that they become aware of and legal cause exists to make such an arrest, etc. This clearly doesn't apply to someone on retired status, as such an individual isn't scheduled to return to duty (ever again) and also no longer has the powers of a peace officer, as I explained in my earlier post.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-13-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
This guy was an armed private citizen, nothing more.
You're absolutely correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events