Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 05:30 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,223 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn, New York

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/ny...=nyregion&_r=0

Can't wait to see how they spin this because this is one of those instances where the shooter's word is again over a dead guy. Hope they sort it out. Info received thus far is that the off duty corrections officer ran and chased them after began to flee and then he shot......was that even necessary?

Annie? Get your gun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,106 times
This happened a couple of days ago and I have been wondering why it hasn't had the media fire storm other cop involved shootings have had. Well first off the shooter was a black guy, so that defuses the liberal media's ability to fuel the race baiters.

IMO I think this retired cop is in trouble. From what I understand he chased these guys after the fact and than shot them. That's a big NO NO. Will see how it plays out.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Wow - Brooklyn's going crazy huh? between that and the McDonald's brawl - wth?!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:22 PM

93 posts, read 109,951 times
The retired guy should be lauded for taking two perps off the streets... to assault & rob an old man more than twice your age? You get your well deserved comeuppance !

Old 03-12-2015, 08:28 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
The video looks bad for the ex-correctional officer, but the video doesn't tell all of the story. For instance, while the ex-correctional officer pushes the other guy near the exit gate first, we don't know for sure what was going on downstairs. Also, the guy seemed to be waiting at the exit gate to start something with the ex-officer. Still, in NYC (and I'm not discussing whether I agree with this law or not, though for the record I will put out there that I support stand your ground laws), the ex-officer had a duty to retreat first before engaging in self defense. No matter how you look at it (well, unless there was another perp that was following the ex-officer upstairs, and the two perps effectively were boxing the ex-officer in), the ex-officer did not exercise that duty. Note, based on the little we know now, which admittedly is an incomplete account of things, I'm not even sure that a stand your ground defense would apply as the ex-officer seems to have hit the other man first, which would make him the first aggressor.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The video looks bad for the ex-correctional officer, but the video doesn't tell all of the story. For instance, while the ex-correctional officer pushes the other guy near the exit gate first, we don't know for sure what was going on downstairs. Also, the guy seemed to be waiting at the exit gate to start something with the ex-officer. Still, in NYC (and I'm not discussing whether I agree with this law or not, though for the record I will put out there that I support stand your ground laws), the ex-officer had a duty to retreat first before engaging in self defense. No matter how you look at it (well, unless there was another perp that was following the ex-officer upstairs, and the two perps effectively were boxing the ex-officer in), the ex-officer did not exercise that duty. Note, based on the little we know now, which admittedly is an incomplete account of things, I'm not even sure that a stand your ground defense would apply as the ex-officer seems to have hit the other man first, which would make him the first aggressor.
I read another article that indicated he told the two perps he was going to arrest them. So if that is the case he had a reason to follow them. So far it doesn't seem like he is going to be charged with anything so my orginial comment that he maybe in trouble could be wrong.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:41 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I read another article that indicated he told the two perps he was going to arrest them. So if that is the case he had a reason to follow them. So far it doesn't seem like he is going to be charged with anything so my orginial comment that he maybe in trouble could be wrong.
I don't know. As a retired correctional officer (the thread says the man was "off duty," but the article states that he is retired), I doubt he had the legal authority to detain/arrest anyone. Even if he did have the authority (again, I have serious doubts that he did given his status . . . also, I don't even know that correctional officers have general arrest authority, though they very well may), it doesn't look good for him as it looks like he was initiating contact near the exit gate in a manner that is not consistent with one making a lawful arrest. Still, there are many questions to be answered, and the Brooklyn DA hasn't decided whether to press charges, so that's still a possibility.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't know. As a retired correctional officer (the thread says the man was "off duty," but the article states that he is retired), I doubt he had the legal authority to detain/arrest anyone. Even if he did have the authority (again, I have serious doubts that he did given his status . . . also, I don't even know that correctional officers have general arrest authority, though they very well may), it doesn't look good for him as it looks like he was initiating contact near the exit gate in a manner that is not consistent with one making a lawful arrest. Still, there are many questions to be answered, and the Brooklyn DA hasn't decided whether to press charges, so that's still a possibility.
They are still considered peace officers so they do have the right to detain and arrest. I'm not sure how or if that status changes in retirement. Retired LEO still have a shield and can carry......soooo I dunno. I am curious to know the answer.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:12 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
Apparently, one can kill anyone these days for anything it seems. Good things hes an ex-cop...that basically a get out of jail free card for killing anyone

Old 03-13-2015, 02:47 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
This happened a couple of days ago and I have been wondering why it hasn't had the media fire storm other cop involved shootings have had.
Probably because it was a COP that did it... (They get away with horrible crimes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events