Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:38 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,731,636 times

Advertisements

The OU Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter considers suing the University of Oklahoma (perhaps, including OU President David Boren) over how the school handled the videoleak which had SAE members chanting expletives about lynching African-Americans and how they would never join SAE.

According to KOCO TV - Oklahoma City, Attorney Stephen Jones has been retained to represent the local SAE chapter. Why?

As Jones explains:

Quote:
Jones told KOCO 5 that SAE is mad the frat was shut and members labeled as "racists" and "bigots."

Jones said he will likely start reviewing all documentation of the case Friday and decide where to go after that.
So the defunct OU SAE chapter is saying, "I am what I am (Hey, it was on videotape!), but don't call me what I am (a young bigot-in-training) or I'll sue!"

No doubt Attorney Stephen Jones is hopeful right-wing media will take up the boys' cause and create enough pressure on OU so they will settle the case before any trial.

Two questions:

1. Do you think the OU SAE chapter should be financially compensated by OU for how the university handled the incident?

2. If OU refuses to settle and the case goes to trial, do you think Attorney Stephen Jones' case logic will work with an Oklahoma jury - even an all-white one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 01:42 AM

15,499 posts, read 10,440,480 times
There is no OU chapter, Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s national leadership suspended it. Sure, Boren told them to get out by midnight. But, the nationals shuttered them at the same time. They better make sure the leadership will let them back in before they sue. If they want to make even bigger asses out of themselves, it's no skin off my back.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:24 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,100,383 times
Will give me a nice "Do not hire" list and a place to begin as far as people I simply will not work with.

Have you heard of the "Unheard Movement?" Just saw it yesterday and its from the group who exposed the video I believe.

I don't understand what they're suing for.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:20 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,162,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Will give me a nice "Do not hire" list and a place to begin as far as people I simply will not work with.

Have you heard of the "Unheard Movement?" Just saw it yesterday and its from the group who exposed the video I believe.

I don't understand what they're suing for.

How about defamation of character and a refund from the university for kicking them out for starts.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:45 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,465,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
How about defamation of character and a refund from the university for kicking them out for starts.
Then they could force OU to adopt their little 'n' word song as the new official university anthem.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:49 PM

387 posts, read 587,665 times
who cares?
why doesn't the news report on things that matter: a failing economy, unemployment, bleak housing market, foreign policy affairs, etc.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:45 PM

5,432 posts, read 8,127,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
No doubt Attorney Stephen Jones is hopeful right-wing media will take up the boys' cause and create enough pressure on OU so they will settle the case before any trial.
Or maybe a left-wing group will take up the boys' cause:

"Any sanction imposed on students for their speech must therefore be consistent with the First Amendment and not merely a punishment for vile and reprehensible speech; courts have consistently and rightly ruled as such."

The whole story here: ACLU of Oklahoma Says 1st Amendment Must be Respected

There is nothing in the Constitution that says people have a right not to be offended.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:04 AM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
There is no OU chapter, Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s national leadership suspended it. Sure, Boren told them to get out by midnight. But, the nationals shuttered them at the same time. They better make sure the leadership will let them back in before they sue. If they want to make even bigger asses out of themselves, it's no skin off my back.
Right. Firstly, the entire chapter wasn't labeled as racist. Second, as to the removal of the chapter from campus, such a suit/point (I'd imagine the chapter would try to claim infringemement of first amendment speech rights), is moot as the chapter is also suspended by the national office; the redressability part of the standing requirement is, thus, not met as any potential ruling in the chapter's favor on this issue wouldn't change the chapter's situation due to the national office's actions.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:16 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,282,719 times
Quote:
1. Do you think the OU SAE chapter should be financially compensated by OU for how the university handled the incident?
Yes.

The university violated its own, written procedures for handling student discipline.

They also made no attempt that I can see to identify how many members of the former chapter, and which members, participated in the song.

It would be the equivalent of disbanding the football team because a few members got in trouble.

Quote:
2. If OU refuses to settle and the case goes to trial, do you think Attorney Stephen Jones' case logic will work with an Oklahoma jury - even an all-white one?
It depends on what he bases his argument on.

If I were the university I would offer to settle by agreeing to allow the recognized SAE chapter back on campus.

The problem would be for the students suing is that there is not a recognized chapter of SAE there anymore. I don't know what the discipline process is for SAE national and on what basis they can pull a chapter's charter, but that would be the next problem for the students to figure out.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:31 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,100,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Yes.

The university violated its own, written procedures for handling student discipline.

They also made no attempt that I can see to identify how many members of the former chapter, and which members, participated in the song.

It would be the equivalent of disbanding the football team because a few members got in trouble.

Do you remember when hazing was an issue and they were kicking fraternities/sororities off campus due to excessive hazing?

It depends on what he bases his argument on.

If I were the university I would offer to settle by agreeing to allow the recognized SAE chapter back on campus.

The problem would be for the students suing is that there is not a recognized chapter of SAE there anymore. I don't know what the discipline process is for SAE national and on what basis they can pull a chapter's charter, but that would be the next problem for the students to figure out.

If I was the University I'd tell em to go _________ themselves. If they want to publicly release their names and fight this battle go ahead. But remember there's repurcussions for everything. If I was the National chapter I'd tell this chapter to shut up before ruining the entire fraternities reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events