Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 09:07 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times

Advertisements

A gang of middleschool girls weren't satisfied with bragging on social media about how bad and tough they are. They attacked another student, beating, stomping and kicking her, while filming their handiwork.

The principal suspended the victim because she defended herself instead of "hitting the ground and rolling into a ball". WTH?!

The perpetrators of this violence were given citations, and once they complete some community service, this attack will disappear from their records.

The principal later rescinded his discipline of the victim by permitting her to return to school.

The victim's family is trying to save enough money to move.

Exclusive: Violent Brawl Involving Middle School Girls Has Family Demanding Action « CBS Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:25 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
A gang of middleschool girls weren't satisfied with bragging on social media about how bad and tough they are. They attacked another student, beating, stomping and kicking her, while filming their handiwork.

The principal suspended the victim because she defended herself instead of "hitting the ground and rolling into a ball". WTH?!

The perpetrators of this violence were given citations, and once they complete some community service, this attack will disappear from their records.

The principal later rescinded his discipline of the victim by permitting her to return to school.

The victim's family is trying to save enough money to move.

Exclusive: Violent Brawl Involving Middle School Girls Has Family Demanding Action « CBS Miami
I'm not sure what the latest obsession is with girl fights. This has bee going on for years. Even when I was in elementary school. Trust, this was a long time ago. Kids fight after school, on school grounds, away from school grounds for any old reason. What's with the new "obsession of kids fighting each other?"

Old 03-14-2015, 12:29 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,703 times
Is it just me or are brawls between girls a lot more common nowadays? Way back when I was in school I only remember one fight and even then it was as fair as a fight can be, they didn't sucker punch or gang up like hyenas.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:22 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Is it just me or are brawls between girls a lot more common nowadays? Way back when I was in school I only remember one fight and even then it was as fair as a fight can be, they didn't sucker punch or gang up like hyenas.
It's been going on at least 20 or 25 years. I used to have a job where I worked with a lot of teenage girls. They were all constantly getting in fights, coming in to work with black eyes and stuff. Sometimes even getting arrested for it. One night I remember, half the staff was out, because they had gotten in a gang fight that afternoon, and gotten arrested for it. That was almost 15 years ago.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:35 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I have a young relative in middle school who told me she's being picked on and hit. I told her to defend herself and she said she can't because she would get suspended. What?

Old 03-14-2015, 02:03 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
I'm not sure what the latest obsession is with girl fights. This has bee going on for years. Even when I was in elementary school. Trust, this was a long time ago. Kids fight after school, on school grounds, away from school grounds for any old reason. What's with the new "obsession of kids fighting each other?"
True, but unlike twenty years ago or more there is less protection for victims and more tolerance for certain types who cause all the problems.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:16 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I have a young relative in middle school who told me she's being picked on and hit. I told her to defend herself and she said she can't because she would get suspended. What?
Lot of schools suspend everyone involved in a fight no matter who started it.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:06 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
Girls fight because they are:

Jealous of the girl they are attacking (she's prettier than them)
Lost a boyfriend to the girl they are attacking

Unfortunately this is nothing new.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:51 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
My girls will both have their Black Belts in karate by the time they are in middle school. Fortunately we do not live in an area where this type of incident is common, but if trouble finds them, I want them to defend themselves. And while I'd fight any suspension they might receive as a result of their defending themselves, it wouldn't really bother me other than the principle of the matter.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:21 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I just have to shake my head at this.

When I was in middle school in the 60's, girls were just as mean, but they were "just" verbally mean or they did mostly stupid (but nasty) stuff like stuffing a locker with "unmentionables." The worst I ever even heard about was a slap in the face. I was an unpopular girl who was teased unmercifully, but I never felt like my life was in danger -- in fact, the thought never even occurred to me! Now it seems like really horrible physical fights (or beatings) are a common occurrence. Maybe they aren't, but it seems like it; and in fact, my daughter was involved in a physical fight over a boy in which another girl banged her head into a brick wall when she was in middle school ten years ago. This was in a very rural and middle class town, btw, and everyone involved was Caucasian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events