Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My post employed 'rhetorical sarcasm'. Is it really necessary to go through rhetorical devices to explain the obvious to you? If you are thick, let me know, and I will explain. Try to think, it should come to you.

I have known some Sikhs. They were pretty cool. I can say the same about Christians I have known. This does not mean being in an all Sikh school somewhere in England would be even remotely cool.

Maybe you have some burning desire to be a SIkh (I hear it is all fun and games) and you would find this situation acceptable if not desirable, but the woman and her daughter in question obviously do not.
Actually my point was there is no information about what the daughter wants. Maybe she would have liked to go to the Sikh school. Most kids, if they knew any better beforehand, would prefer to avoid the typical British school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 02:21 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
first of all, a muslim wasn't forced to go to a christian school, so why make that comparison? what is your agenda with a statement like that? why didnt you make a comment like this:

"Wow...Imagine if a Jew was forced to go to a Christian school, there'd be outrage and whatever the U.K equivalent of the NAACP is would be up in arms."

it would bring equal or more outrage and make headlines too.
Well, that didn't take long.
Suddenly, the thread became totally asinine and I quit reading.
Too bad, the subject seemed to be worthy of discussion.
However, once this kind of back-and-forth gets started, the original subject tends to get lost!

Old 03-18-2015, 05:27 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, that didn't take long.
Suddenly, the thread became totally asinine and I quit reading.
Too bad, the subject seemed to be worthy of discussion.
However, once this kind of back-and-forth gets started, the original subject tends to get lost!
The essence of this story is that the girl's mother tried to game the system and lost. So now she is crying foul and trying to play the religion card to get her own way with the school district.

In the UK a great many state schools are nominally religious. However, nearly all of them have a mixed intake of kids of different religions and kids who have no religion. So all these schools are experienced in catering for these differences.

The problem on this thread is that there are a number of posters who know nothing of how the UK actually works and who are intent in trying to superimpose their agenda on the situation.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:19 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Thank you for the explanation. For the record, I wasn't being presumptuous about the difference between USA and UK education, I was simply asking because, as I stated, in the USA government schools are secular. Just wanted to know how it differs in the UK, which it clearly does. In my world asking equals learning, something some of my fellow citizens might benefit from.
Sorry, I absolutely wasn't directing the presumptuous comment towards you. Although I should have thought having it in my reply to your question it could have been viewed that way. I really meant it generally.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:12 AM

725 posts, read 805,370 times
Homeschool if she can. There is enough government propaganda on TV. She doesn't need anymore mind control from school.

It is sick how the UK has become. Britain isn't even british anymore. If millions of whites flooded China and wanted to take over businesses, jobs, schools, welfare and dictate what happens to chinese through votes, there would be outrage. But when millions of non whites flood white countries and do the same its a matter of diversity.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:14 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42
This is so wrong I have no words, I feel horrible for the little girl.
Yes but if this girl HAS A STRONG MIND,she will not let them sway her from the religon she loves

Old 03-20-2015, 08:32 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Again, I'm so thankful for July 4, 1776. Even with "school vouchers" (or clerical errors by the parents), in the U.S. no child is forced into a religious school by the government.

And the parents in the U.S. complaining about double tuition/taxation are middle class, but they usually don't qualify for vouchers anyway so they (or should I say "we"!) just go on complaining.
Yep, I'm Brit and I am also grateful for the same as you so that I can live in the US rather than wretched England. It's a mess over there. But, lets not be smug, I've been seeing many signs in this country (US), that I saw in the UK decades ago. We are on their heels. But hopefully we won't go their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events