Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,013,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So you admit that they didn't know who the man was.

They knew he was involved because 3 of the officers were working security at the theater

Again, its not required to have your ID at all times. He wasn't under arrest for anything. He did not have to comply.

He was being detained because the officers had reasonable suspicion to believe he was involved. He was the one that resisted after taking a aggressive stance aka squaring off and shoving one of the officers to the ground when his arm was grabbed.

Just because someone isn't doing what YOU want doesn't mean they were breaking a law. If you show me a law that the man broke, I'll back off that point.

The law he broke is when thought resisting with the officers was okay

Why did the officers put their hands on this man?
See above

Old 03-17-2015, 12:35 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Of course they are. Cha-Ching....$$$$$. Hoping for a payout.
You have the exact same motive on the side of the cops. Not getting caught if they did in fact not follow proper procedure.

Both sides have motives.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Well you see how not complying worked out for this guy. Once again, this is a badge of honor for some, refuse to comply and you are seen as a hero. Logic fails these types time and again. It has been explained to you that a police officer will detain someone(not arrest) until they can sort out the situation at hand. I have NO DOUBT that you would not comply. You seem to champion the cause of this type of behavior and look how well it worked out for this person.
Seems like your the one championing violence. I'm tying to figure out what happened.

You have Police being executed and ambushed and your still beating your chest. Genius.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Except there was no report of a man battering his wife or beating his daughter.

And now that man is dead.
There was a report of a domestic disturbance with a possible assault.

Why do you think they picked this guy out? Do you think the cop walked out and randomly went to the first person he saw, and it was a complete coincidence that it happened to be the husband?

Of course not. Most likely, the witness pointed to the woman and the man as they were heading to the car. The police made contact with the man first, and asked for his ID and were probably trying to find out what was going on.

Most likely, it was at this point that Mr. Rodriquez started acting belligerent and the situation escalated to the point of him being cuffed and detained.

By all appearances, this was started by his family and took the situation and escalated it to the point where HE lost HIS life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am saying that there are plenty of family squabbling that can become heated at times, sometimes if may go a bit over the top. Sometimes it may take a physical element, but NOT one that involves hard core beatings, bruisings, broken bones etc. It may just be a little pushing and shoving, poking in the chest etc. There are times such happens and the spouse does not want any outside intervention. That's just "how they roll." It's not healthy, perhaps, but it also doesn't rise to the level of bruises, broken bones, daily intimidation etc, and no one in the family is a "victim" needing rescuing, and they don't want it.

That happens, and when it does, and if such is how things went down here, then yes that's a private family matter that outsiders ought to leave alone. I know as a teen had I been disrespectful to an elder I'd had the snot knocked out of me, and GOOD that it was so and that no busy bodies were butting their nose in disrespecting the right of the elders to do that. Protecting that is not tantamount to saying battered spouses shouldn't receive the help they need when they clearly want it.
So, the cops ignore anybody reporting an assault unless it's the victim?

How will they ever know if it's serious unless they investigate.

Oh, I know. They should wait until they read about it on CD so they can then determine what they should have done a few days before.

If they read it was a simple family squabble, they say, "Good thing we didn't get involved."

If it was a serious assault, they say, "I guess we should have done something."

Quote:
And his family is claiming he was beaten which contributed to his death.
Of course they are. The police are claiming that wasn't the case.

What does the movie theater security system say?

Quote:
So you admit that they didn't know who the man was.
Which is exactly why they asked him for his ID and probably what was going on.

Quote:
Again, its not required to have your ID at all times. He wasn't under arrest for anything. He did not have to comply.
You absolutely have the right not to show your ID; however, if a witness says you were possibly involved in an assault, and you make the decision not to present any ID, you might as well be prepared to be detained and cuffed while they figure out what is going on.

If you'd rather not be detained and possibly cuffed, it would be best to provide ID when asked.

This isn't like the guy was just leaving a movie and minding his own business when cops decided to hassle him. This was a case where a witness reported an assault and apparently pointed to the man and his wife and said they were involved.

Quote:
Just because someone isn't doing what YOU want doesn't mean they were breaking a law. If you show me a law that the man broke, I'll back off that point.
Is it your belief that the cops must personally witness an event in order to investigate and talk to people whom a witness said was involved?

If so, don't expect the cops to be very useful.

Gtownoe, "Officer, that man right there broke into my car and stole my stuff."

Cop, "Sorry, I didn't see it, so there is nothing I can do."

Gtownoe, "I saw him do it and my property is in his car on the front seat."

Cop, "Sorry, I have to witness it."

Gtownoe, "What good are you then? This is racism."

Quote:
Why did the officers put their hands on this man?
Simple, he wasn't cooperating and refused to be detained in cuffs while they investigated the report of an assault.

If you can't figure this out, the odds of you going to jail go up significantly.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Seems like your the one championing violence. I'm tying to figure out what happened.
They why are you against the cops figuring out what happened?

They were obviously directed to this man and his wife. They were trying to figure out who they were and what was going on.

In order to figure something out with other people, there must be an exchange of information. Mr. Rodriquez apparently refused to exchange information which kept the cops from trying to figure out what happened.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:45 PM

In response to FireSmurf...

1) So 3 of the officers involved, were working at the theater when everything happened? So they saw that the man didn't break any laws? Or did they see him break a law?

2)You just stated that 3 of the officers were there and saw what happened. Why exactly were the Police called?

And in your own sentence, you state the officer grabbed the man. Which means that he initiated the contact.

3) To resist arrest, you 1st have to be under arrest. So what was he under arrest for?

Sounds like to me that an innocent man is dead because of Police overkill.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They why are you against the cops figuring out what happened?

They were obviously directed to this man and his wife. They were trying to figure out who they were and what was going on.

In order to figure something out with other people, there must be an exchange of information. Mr. Rodriquez apparently refused to exchange information which kept the cops from trying to figure out what happened.

You don't have to talk to the Police. The man was not under arrest.

Another poster stated that the Police initiated the contact.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
You don't have to talk to the Police. The man was not under arrest.

Another poster stated that the Police initiated the contact.
The police have the right to detain you for questioning if they believe you may be involved in a crime or disturbance. You KNOW this but continue to state your childish rant that you don't have to talk to the police. LALALALA(fingers in ears). By all means do this when a policeman tries to talks to you. I would like to know the outcome.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
There was a report of a domestic disturbance with a possible assault.

Why do you think they picked this guy out? Do you think the cop walked out and randomly went to the first person he saw, and it was a complete coincidence that it happened to be the husband?

The call was not about the man. Coincidence or not, he'd broken no law.

Of course not. Most likely, the witness pointed to the woman and the man as they were heading to the car. The police made contact with the man first, and asked for his ID and were probably trying to find out what was going on.

Ok.

And now a man is dead. So what happened in between.

Most likely, it was at this point that Mr. Rodriquez started acting belligerent and the situation escalated to the point of him being cuffed and detained.

Most likely is not factual.

What was he under arrest for?

By all appearances, this was started by his family and took the situation and escalated it to the point where HE lost HIS life.

So now the family beat the man and detained him. Thanks for the update.

So, the cops ignore anybody reporting an assault unless it's the victim?

The man didn't report the assault.

How will they ever know if it's serious unless they investigate.

Oh, I know. They should wait until they read about it on CD so they can then determine what they should have done a few days before.

If they read it was a simple family squabble, they say, "Good thing we didn't get involved."

If it was a serious assault, they say, "I guess we should have done something."

Investigated and beating someone are completely different. Well, their supposed to be.

Of course they are. The police are claiming that wasn't the case.

What does the movie theater security system say?

You should be telling me. Otherwise your using the claims of people who have motive.

Which is exactly why they asked him for his ID and probably what was going on.

You absolutely have the right not to show your ID; however, if a witness says you were possibly involved in an assault, and you make the decision not to present any ID, you might as well be prepared to be detained and cuffed while they figure out what is going on.

Which witness said that?

If you'd rather not be detained and possibly cuffed, it would be best to provide ID when asked.

This isn't like the guy was just leaving a movie and minding his own business when cops decided to hassle him. This was a case where a witness reported an assault and apparently pointed to the man and his wife and said they were involved.

You have a link for that witness pointing to the man? You have a witness saying that man was involved in the assault?

Is it your belief that the cops must personally witness an event in order to investigate and talk to people whom a witness said was involved?

Rhetorical

If so, don't expect the cops to be very useful.

Gtownoe, "Officer, that man right there broke into my car and stole my stuff."

Cop, "Sorry, I didn't see it, so there is nothing I can do."

Gtownoe, "I saw him do it and my property is in his car on the front seat."

Cop, "Sorry, I have to witness it."

Gtownoe, "What good are you then? This is racism."

Simple, he wasn't cooperating and refused to be detained in cuffs while they investigated the report of an assault.

Detained in cuffs? You mean under arrest?

I wouldn't be detained in cuffs if I didn't do anything wrong. He has that right too.

I'm sorry if I don't bow down and lick boots.

If you can't figure this out, the odds of you going to jail go up significantly.

So basically your telling me not to respect my own rights and to bow down to authority.

You've still yet to give me any justification for this man's death.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
The police have the right to detain you for questioning if they believe you may be involved in a crime or disturbance. You KNOW this but continue to state your childish rant that you don't have to talk to the police. LALALALA(fingers in ears). By all means do this when a policeman tries to talks to you. I would like to know the outcome.

The man is dead. I'd say they did a little more than "detain" him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events