Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 03:38 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdangerousxdavex View Post

There is a lot of anti US sentiment in Germany (much of it because our government got caught spying on them) but this little tiny group of leftist does not seem to be big enough to be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 05:33 AM

20 posts, read 14,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I have a friend who is on that convoy. They were generally met with cheers and applause the whole way. He's been documenting it on his facebook page. I don't think forum rules permit me to post the link.'
Well, I don`t want to tell your friend is a liar. There is a difference between European countries.

Anti-US protesters stage a demonstration against the US Army's Dragoon Ride military exercise in Prague

Germany: “Army go home!” – ‘Dragoon Ride’ met with anti-US Army protest

Dragoon Ride’s crossing through Czech Republic sparks anti-American protest

Old 04-11-2015, 08:53 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhen View Post
Well, I don`t want to tell your friend is a liar. There is a difference between European countries.

Anti-US protesters stage a demonstration against the US Army's Dragoon Ride military exercise in Prague

Quote:
The stated aim of the exercise rankled members of the Czech Republic’s Communist Party and sparked a series of protests across the country
Wow, big shock, the far Communist fringe that are pro-Russian got their panties in a wad.

Quote:
One of the protest organizers was Jiri Vyvadil, founder of the Friends of Russia activism group.

Quote:

Jiri Pehe, a political scientist and director of New York University’s Prague branch, described the protests as political theater organized by the Czech Communist Party. He believes that many of the protestors may be Russian agents or people who are secretly getting money from Russia.
“If you take into account that the Communist Party has about between 10-15 percent in public support, you can see where these protests are coming from,” he said. “So, it’s a very vocal minority.”

Quote:
The anti-American demonstration called forth a response by pro-American Czechs, approximately an equal number of whom came out on Wenceslas Square. Heated debates between the two sides caused police to separate the two sides, and the pro-American demonstrators held their own rally in Peace Square later in the day.
Many of those in the pro-American camp said they would be meeting the U.S. soldiers as they crossed into the country to show that not all Czechs oppose Dragoon Ride.
“It’s a discussion we are all having right now about which way the Czech Republic is going right now,” said pro-American protester Pavel Cerna, a Prague resident. “It’s important that we show the world that it’s not only the communists that are dictating opinions here.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liAA...ature=youtu.be

Being from that region and having family all over the place, reading the news there, I can tell you that the American forces were quite welcome in much of the Czech Republic and Poland. If the Germans really are that upset at having American soldiers in their country, the Poles would be very happy to host them.

Last edited by Juram; 04-11-2015 at 09:03 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 09:00 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhen View Post

I think you missed a key word in the post. Perhaps you missed the word "generally." I agree, much of the news reported is a positive, reporting a welcoming reception. 1100 miles is a lot of ground to cover.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I think you missed a key word in the post. Perhaps you missed the word "generally." I agree, much of the news reported is a positive, reporting a welcoming reception. 1100 miles is a lot of ground to cover.

Its largely a vocal minority of people that are seen as kooks, who have a romantic sentimentalism with Communism and Russia despite what history has taught them, particularly in the Czech Republic where in 1968 Russian tanks rolled in to quell an uprising and ended up killing quite a few people.

As far as Polish people, there are even less in that country that support Russia after the atrocities that have been committed against them over the years. From Katyn to the mysterious plane crash carrying a great deal of Poland's leadership just a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events